The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8g Evo brembo brake & rotor conversion (incomplete)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 57

8g Evo brembo brake & rotor conversion done!!!

COMPLETED AND WORKS GREAT!!!!!

now i could of posted this along with the other threads about rear rotor conversion on the G but since the evo has bigger rotors and calipers, and some parts might be different, i figured id make a new one

ok so the stuff i have so far are 4 evo oem rotors and 4 brembo oem calipers.

i just tested the wheel bearings of the 8 g are a direct fit on the vo rotors , now the calipers should fit behind 17 inch wheels , so the front shouldnt be a problem , but the rear... the rear wheel bearings fits in the evo rear rotor but since the drum setup makes it a bit thicker , the brmbo caliper is soo huge its gonna hit the the cylinder and heat shield, so i just remove the setup , put back the oem rear bearing and voila??

, the brake lines? , the hand brake?

little help would be great guys, im gonna search the web and the other forums and see what i find
    Last edited by Qs; 12-22-2008 at 01:20 AM Reason: thread is completed and needs to be moved to the how to section

2002 blue G RIP07
    2003 grey G with the heart of an Evo 8
    1999 beige G . winter beater and well its beige

since the evo rotor mounts on the galant bearing, the front offset and backspacing should be the same...(i hope)

on the rear

this is the complete assy from aN 8 g

so like i said im pretty sure i cant just remove the cylinder and rear drum plate and put the evo rotor in there my offset is gonna be huge

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/view...onversion+swap

is this topic supposed to be the how to ?

didnt help at all...

anyways the rear disc assembly i might need , the caliper brackets too

il get some ss brake lines for better pressure , and evo pads

2002 blue G RIP07

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    I dont quite understand.

You need the 8G rear disk setup. it has a mini drum brake that will be the parking brake.

well the evo disk setup should work too.

so i should get the disk assembly ffrom the evo then

2002 blue G RIP07

yeah u cant use the factory drum plate, u have to use the one that comes from the evo, it bolts on somewhere near the hub
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

well im pretty sure the evo has rear axles connected to the driveshaft ( which my g doesnt ) so does that mean i need the parts from a chrysler dodge fwd ?

would be logic

2002 blue G RIP07

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9G
    I dont quite understand.

You need the 8G rear disk setup. it has a mini drum brake that will be the parking brake.

Huh??? You need a galant or eclipse rear disc conversion first. Pick it up from a junk yard. Should not cost you more than $140. Thats what the evo caliper sits attaches to and the rotors sit on.

Using evo rotors + calipers should be as easy as changing your own rotors. If you are having more problems than that, you are doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar22
    yeah u cant use the factory drum plate, u have to use the one that comes from the evo, it bolts on somewhere near the hub
    galant ones are fine. theyre cheaper and more plentiful.

I dont quite understand.

i already have the 4 evo rotors, so i dont want to buy the whole conversion, just whats missing

Huh??? You need a galant or eclipse rear disc conversion first. Pick it up from a junk yard. Should not cost you more than $140. Thats what the evo caliper sits attaches to and the rotors sit on
    yep thats whats missing..

Using evo rotors + calipers should be as easy as changing your own rotors. If you are having more problems than that, you are doing it wrong.
    for the front yes, but since im still drums in the back , gotta convert.

so i need this part but from an eclipse 3G

these topics all mention regular disc conversion, or with the brembo calipers

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/view...wap+drum+rotor

none of these topics gives an actual picture of the conversion kit ,
    wasnt able to get one

http://www.pixcl.com/summitgtx/BigDiskConversion.htm

this says only a little

http://www.club3g.com/forum/automoti...onversion.html

so the 2 back plates are what i need to complete my kit,

they look a lot like the galant backplates.... , exept for the top part where the cylinder used to mount

2002 blue G RIP07

look. its just a normal rear disc conversion. just buy it and you will understand

look. its just a normal rear disc conversion. just buy it and you will understand

i wont buy what i dont need , the rotors i already have and the calipers too

only need the backplates, unless im mistaken

2002 blue G RIP07

what you have:

does not look like what a rear disc conversion is:

thats what I've been saying but this kid is not listening. You can just buy the backing plates for $140

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Geez this guy makes it seem sooo complicated. If you guys out there want to do a swap, Dont read this thread or it will scare you.

Dude front remove stock calipers and lines, both sides.
    Install new lines preferbly, ss lines with evo rotors and brembo calipers and you are done.

Rear

If you dont have disc then you need to remove drum set and replace it with new backing plate from a V6 Galant or 2000Eclipse Gt, among others. You DONT need the rotors, calipers or brackets if you are doing the brembo swap. The hand brake line connects to the baking plate that you need to get, the calipers will also connect to that same backing plate, new lines again and evo rotors and you are done. Now bleed the entire system and enjoy. You are ovelwhelmed with too much info bro.
    Just get the backing plates and you will understand what everyone is telling you.

Geez this guy makes it seem sooo complicated. If you guys out there want to do a swap, Dont read this thread or it will scare you.

not true, since u guys are all english u cant see the difference but if one day another frenchie ( like me ) needs some info, he might just understand me info :D

Rear

If you dont have disc then you need to remove drum set and replace it with new backing plate from a V6 Galant or 2000Eclipse Gt, among others. You DONT need the rotors, calipers or brackets if you are doing the brembo swap. The hand brake line connects to the baking plate that you need to get, the calipers will also connect to that same backing plate, new lines again and evo rotors and you are done. Now bleed the entire system and enjoy. You are ovelwhelmed with too much info bro.
    Just get the backing plates and you will understand what everyone is telling you.

thx , its pretty much the conclusion i came upon

and yes i tend to sometimes overthink and overanalyze

dont forget all im french , all the flashy names like backplate arent translated as plaquette arrierre ( which is litterraly back plate ) .

anyways thx for the patience

2002 blue G RIP07

thats what I've been saying but this kid is not listening. You can just buy the backing plates for $140
    kid ...yay i feel young again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <----------------- 26 btw

i might not be a know it all but i aint affraid of asking questions unitl i understand every bit of it, and like i said since i have to translate the parts , its sometimes not easy .

also i should mention this but i studied in accounting ( did a college degree) not mechanics.

so excuse me if i dont know all the parts by name in french and english

2002 blue G RIP07

Now that's a tidbit i'm sure some of the other users were not aware of(me included) Aside from the translation issues I will commend you on the fact that you are doing all the research necessary instead of just asking other people to spoon feed you what you need to know. Good luck on all the work you are about to undertake and don't be afraid to keep asking questions. Just try to be a little patient with us as we get a lot of people asking the same types of questions for the simple fact that they are too lazy to put the effort in themselves, not because of any language barrier.

222whp/250wtq

ahh Quebec. Hey, I got a degree in Marketing lol
    but yea, no hard feelings if you didn't understand hopefully everything is cleared up for you

its all good

2002 blue G RIP07

Quelles roues utilisez-vous avec cette organisation de frein ? Si le décaler est trop, les roues n'éclairciront pas les compass de frein.
    1990 Nissan RPHS13 - RB what?

2000 Galant ES - For Sale

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast