The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Spyder cam position sensor?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 33 of 33
    sorry.. but damn its fun taking the complicated way to get simple answers! lol
    Diamond Star Motors - Turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1989.

I guess since no one has any first hand experience, I might have to be the first to try it. I really see no reason that it won't work since the 2.4 spyder has the same cam and head. Everything should bolt up fine. That and a little rewiring and I should be good to go. Its gonna have to wait until after xmas, cuz my wife is a shopaholic.

I just did some searching on google and this is what I found on the yahoo 4g64 forum:

"On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 18:47, Mujtaba wrote:
    > You can definitely use a Galant 4G64 engine. Curt did the same exact
    > thing when his engine died. You can easily unbolt the distributor and
    > swap to a Spyder CAS. "

I guess I know what lays ahead of me after xmas :smt023

if thats what u wanna do, gopher it!!!
    Diamond Star Motors - Turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1989.

Well, the parts have arrived, and I will be swapping them in over the next week. I will keep everyone posted on the progress. I will take some pics along the way and do a write up when all is done.

Good to hear man, keep me updated as I will be following you in the next few weeks.

Oh and who are you on the yahoo boards?

222whp/250wtq

Well, After a long day, the ecu is swapped in along with the spyder cas housing, cylinder, and cas. It is running great!

I followed the swap tutorial, with a couple changes as i noted here...post 171 page 9
    https://thegalantcenter.net/forum/sh...t=22423&page=9

I had to grind a little off the cas cylinder to get it to fit into the end of the cam.....its a little larger than the one on the distributor. Trial and error...luckily no error occured.

Next, I drilled the end of the cam. Make sure if you are doing this to stuff shop rags into the slots in the head just at the end of the cam to prevent any shavings getting into the oil.SCARY PART!!!! I did it in 2 steps, then tapped it with a 5/16 tap since we had plenty of different lengths at the shop. Now make sure you get the offset right and bolt the cylinder to the cam using a lock washer under the head of the bolt.

I had to rewire the fuel pump...some do, some don't. Tap the same ignition wire that you have to run to pin 82 on the 2g ecu, and use that for the signal to trigger the relay. Then proceeded with the rewire as usual.

I did however disconnect the wiring to the ISC since I haven't figured that one out yet

Stock tb and tps work fine.

I hooked the logger up and I watched the stft, and needed to pull out 7% with the safc to get it to 0

It didn't fire up at first, i had to swap the plug wires at the coil packs. Then she fired up. I didn't get any immediate CEL, but once i gave it some gas, it came on. I got 2. One for the fuel pressure solenoid (P1105), and one for the boost solenoid (P1104). The boost solenoid one wouldn't have come on if i would have done the knock led mod. I am going to have to use the same resistor as the knock led mod to get the CEL for the fuel press solenoid to go out.

Aside from that, the only other issue I have, is the tach in the gauge cluster isn't working now, so if someone has some insight to why, I am all ears. Not sure why though since the tach on the safc is reading normal.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will try to get some pics up soon.
    Last edited by tom04841; 02-16-2008 at 05:00 PM

Yet another ignition mod!!!

Well i was bored today and needed to change my valve cover gasket, so I decided to play a lil more under the hood to clean it up a bit.

And here are the results!

And a shot of the engine bay.

The only mod to the coil assemblies was i need to take out the spring and stretch it a bit to hit the plug
    Last edited by tom04841; 04-06-2008 at 03:02 PM

wow very nice... One of the best sohc turbo builds I've seen on these boards in a while..... How does it drive with the turbo and did you get to clear the CEL Codes you were getting?
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Cop setup is pretty sweet. Where did you get the coils from?
    7g for life!

I only get one CEL now....IAC. I have it unplugged, because I haven't figured out how to rewire it yet to run with a 2g eclipse ecu.
    It drives very smooth, and gas milage is actually a little better than NA as long as i don't boost...lol. Only other mod I see doing in the near future is possibly a 2g Eclipse Auto trans and TCU swap. The stock trans seems to be holding up quite well, but time will tell.

I got the coils from a 99 Intrepid with a 2.7 liter motor.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    What did you use to mount your battery in the stock 2g location?
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    What did you use to mount your battery in the stock 2g location?
    Nothing! It's just sitting on the subframe. I will eventually make a bracket to hold it down. It has been like that for 2 month and it hasn't moved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12