The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 6A13TT SWAP IN A USDM GALANT...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 56

6A13TT SWAP IN A USDM GALANT...

It looks like it could most definately happen, here is what someone did in the mirage forums

http://www.mirageforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=28579

Too bad it's only FWD but hey, at least we know it is possible. and if you didn't know, the 6A13TT Engine was originally in the 8g JDM spec Galant VR4's

This is gonna be a post for the 6a13tt in a 1997 mirage DE. This is gonna be FWD not awd.In this conversion you can use the following items from a 1.8 97+ mirage.

1. 7 bolt flywheel (used lightened)
    2. Stage 2 racing clutch ( stage one or stock is to weak i would think)
    3. The axles and tranny
    4. THe crossmember for 1.8 tranny AND MOUNTS I filled these with a polymer resin to help stiffin the mounts worked great looks bad
    5. The 1.8 radiator USE SLIM LINE FANS !!! STOCK FANS WON'T FIT
    6. Your gonna want to unravel the 1.8 wiring harness and seporate the wiindsheild wiper controls and plugs also you gonna need to the 4 plugs from under dash I know one is for the wiper motor functions. There is 2 behind you radio and 2 under dash right wall behind glove box. I could not do this ass I sold my engine and wiring harness and ecu to another mpf member.
    7. you are gonna need the 1.8 relays from the behind the radio. 1 is the mfi relay the other is for the fuel pump.

What you can't use.
    1. The passenger side motor mount from the 1.8 won't fit make sure you get this mount with your new engine it is curved and it is a must to have.
    2. 1.8 engine and wiring harness well most of the wiring harness
    3. You are gonna need to shocks and springs the stocks ones will flatten. I purchased aftermarket suspenstion so i can not recomend what you should use. My coilovers work great.
    4. FUEL PUMP WALBRO 255 IS HIGHLY REOMENDED LESS YOU LIKE DETONATION! So your stock fuel pump has to go bye bye.
    5. And probably the most painfull thing..... you can never use 87 or 89 octane fuel ever again only 93 or better for this puppy.

I am gonna skip over 1.5&1.8 engine removal for the reason that there is 100 posts on how to do it. Also after you reove the engine & tranny damn it presure wash it and paint it!!

Step one prep of engine bay (what i learned in the process so you can do it right the first time)

You have to remove all the brake lines from the brake block and the master cylinder. Yes you are going to have to replace all the brake lines. be prepared. you are gonna have to relocate the brake block above the firewall by the chasis plate.

Remove the master cylinder. It is in the way no other reason.

On the passenger side of the engine bay there is a triangle peice of metal that has the power steering line running to it. It must be removed held on by 2- 12mm bolts. It will hit the alternator on the engine otherwise.

make sure you remove the front bumper and radiator.

remove the wiper fluid resivior. Your going to run the turbo piping though here. I heard you can use the resivior from the wrx but havn't tried ........yet.

cant see it need to register
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

2002ShadowDeamon
    i want to do this so bad in my 8g! Need more info!

i knew someone had to be swapping these in otherwise they wouldnt be all over US ebay
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Great Find DNSerrano.... Although I wonder what tranny he used? seeing that it is a 1997 Mirage, I would think he went with a 97 mitsu transmission I duno? I guess ill register and take a look around there...

Although a 4g63 swap for the 7g still seems the most logical, cost effective and common... ths would be great for the v6 guys or those that want to be different....
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

MANTE got the furthest w/ this swap into a USDM G. this was years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    I'm guessing this was before he decided to import one instead?

Quote Originally Posted by DNSerrano
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    I'm guessing this was before he decided to import one instead?
    he didn't import it. o friend of his had it and he bought it from him.

i think, not sure tho

i always wanted a V6 twin turbo under my hood. everybody pops the hood to all other 7th gens....... ehh 14b on a 63 or 64

6A13TT = :shock:

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

2002ShadowDeamon
    This would be good for those of us that want to have a 6a13tt. Importing a car is next to impossible! They want a fortune for it! The cars are fairly cheap over in Japan tho.

i think i will go there myself and find out how much would it be to import a official 8g VR-4 from japan!! i'm very curious!! i will definitely one day get it into the US watch!! lol

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    You are looking at 4000 to 5000 just for shipping and customs. Then you have to make sure that its approved by EPA, then you must show prove of Crash Testing before it reaches US Port and Japan will not do that for you and a bunch of other crap, steering wheel is on the passanger side. Go buy an m3 and you'll have extra cash left. EDIT for those that cant read between the lines. ITS VERY EXPENSIVE!

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by GALANTOWNER
    Go buy an m3 and you'll have extra cash left.
    Why would you discourage somebody from importing a VR-4? Does it make you jealous that somebody might want to get a totally unique car imported into the United States rather than getting a car that you could realistically buy? I would import a VR-4 in a heartbeat if I had the extra cash right now.

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    Go buy an m3 and you'll have extra cash left.
    Why would you discourage somebody from importing a VR-4? Does it make you jealous that somebody might want to get a totally unique car imported into the United States rather than getting a car that you could realistically buy? I would import a VR-4 in a heartbeat if I had the extra cash right now.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

It is not discouraging, it's a fact. He should know what it takes to get one here.

The m3 was an example, in other words saying it costs alot. Geezz

WarmAndSCSI
    It is not discouraging, it's a fact. He should know what it takes to get one here.

The m3 was an example, in other words saying it costs alot. Geezz
    Go buy an m3
    That's not discouraging? :smt102

Sharing my knowledge about some of the facts of getting one here is being jealous?? Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or just bored and need to talk some shit to make you feel better?? Just curious. If he can get 5 VR4 here it would be great because it would mean that more people could but I have done some research on what it takes to get one here and even talked to EPA people and that is some of the stuff required. You go ahead and incourage him all you want, Im just saving him the time or atleast pointing him in the right direction, what are you doing besides trying to argue with me?

WarmAndSCSI
    Sharing my knowledge about some of the facts of getting one here is being jealous?? Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or just bored and need to talk some shit to make you feel better?? Just curious. If he can get 5 VR4 here it would be great because it would mean that more people could but I have done some research on what it takes to get one here and even talked to EPA people and that is some of the stuff required. You go ahead and incourage him all you want, Im just saving him the time or atleast pointing him in the right direction, what are you doing besides trying to argue with me?
    I'm not the one who made the snide remark to begin with. I swear, half you idiots on this board are delusional. Go re-read your original post and try to comprehend why you're continuing to try to defend yourself instead of reconciling and saying that buying a car like an M3 is nothing like importing a truly unique car.

You don't have to crash test it if its not being sold to the general public like Mclaren had to do. It can be imported for show or race use purposes only. Though it will amount to about $5000-8000 on top of the cost of the car.

If you really want one go here: http://www.japan-partner.com/

The long and short of it is? At current you could import a 1998 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 for under $10,000.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    You don't have to crash test it if its not being sold to the general public like Mclaren had to do. It can be imported for show or race use purposes only. Though it will amount to about $5000-8000 on top of the cost of the car.

If you really want one go here: http://www.japan-partner.com/

The long and short of it is? At current you could import a 1998 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 for under $10,000.
    Thank you, this is exactly what I'm getting at. There's no way buying an expensive BMW or some other domestically-sold car could be a better idea than getting a VR-4 if the Galant is WHAT YOU REALLY WANT.

2002ShadowDeamon
    Ok, first off, this topic was about the 6a13tt swap. And getting the full car shipped over is expensive. But I dont think that it is something to be putting people down about. I think that someone should really look into this so that we can try to ship a few cars over here. I looked (and still is) into shipping one over. I was told that it would cost almost $10,000 to ship, pay tax, pay for all other shit that they wont tell you about. Then there is the question about whether or not you have to changew out the headlights (because they could be made of glass), windshield (needs replaced with shattered proof), and possible reineforcement in the body. I cant ever seem to find out what really needs to be done, so if anyone else knows more than me, please chime in. Hopefull this helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast