The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 6A13TT SWAP IN A USDM GALANT...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 56
    Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    You don't have to crash test it if its not being sold to the general public like Mclaren had to do. It can be imported for show or race use purposes only. Though it will amount to about $5000-8000 on top of the cost of the car.

If you really want one go here: http://www.japan-partner.com/

The long and short of it is? At current you could import a 1998 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 for under $10,000.
    Dave can you really? wow, i thought it would be a lot more seeing that some guy here in Chicago paid a hell of a lot to bring in a Skyline....
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by n3oAcid24
    You don't have to crash test it if its not being sold to the general public like Mclaren had to do. It can be imported for show or race use purposes only. Though it will amount to about $5000-8000 on top of the cost of the car.

If you really want one go here: http://www.japan-partner.com/

The long and short of it is? At current you could import a 1998 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 for under $10,000.
    Dave can you really? wow, i thought it would be a lot more seeing that some guy here in Chicago paid a hell of a lot to bring in a Skyline....
    Skylines are not even comparable to Galants as far as imports are concerned. One is highly sought-after, the other nobody gives a damn about. All the better for us!

2002ShadowDeamon
    try here http://www.tradecarview.com/stock/japan_car/4/206/

this is one place i go for Legnum searching.

In the end, it would be MUCH cheaper just to get the engine and install that.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002ShadowDeamon
    Ok, first off, this topic was about the 6a13tt swap. And getting the full car shipped over is expensive. But I dont think that it is something to be putting people down about. I think that someone should really look into this so that we can try to ship a few cars over here. I looked (and still is) into shipping one over. I was told that it would cost almost $10,000 to ship, pay tax, pay for all other shit that they wont tell you about. Then there is the question about whether or not you have to changew out the headlights (because they could be made of glass), windshield (needs replaced with shattered proof), and possible reineforcement in the body. I cant ever seem to find out what really needs to be done, so if anyone else knows more than me, please chime in. Hopefull this helps.
    Most of this is easy, getting it done before the car reaches port is the hard part. I'm guessing their windshield is identical to our 8G, or at least the 8G one would work temporarily for some BS inspection. Same with the headlights. After the EPA inspection, your local safety inspection probably isn't going to check the car for a shatter-proof windshield or glass headlights.

WarmAndSCSI
    I completely disagree. No AWD, no AYC, no possibility of having a wagon if that's what you want, different suspension, you'd have to swap the ECU and run the harness and try to get that to pass as a USDM car with OBD-II (considering the year - it would be impossible in California or other states with similar testing laws).

Yes, it would be cheaper, but you're comparing apples to oranges. That's just my opinion, though. There's no advantage to swapping in the 6A13TT when there's plenty of options for the 6G72 and even a few of them have seen above 1000 WHP. Swapping in EVERYTHING powertrain-related from a VR-4 would be awesome though :D

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    I completely disagree. No AWD, no AYC, no possibility of having a wagon if that's what you want, different suspension, you'd have to swap the ECU and run the harness and try to get that to pass as a USDM car with OBD-II (considering the year - it would be impossible in California or other states with similar testing laws).

Yes, it would be cheaper, but you're comparing apples to oranges. That's just my opinion, though. There's no advantage to swapping in the 6A13TT when there's plenty of options for the 6G72 and even a few of them have seen above 1000 WHP. Swapping in EVERYTHING powertrain-related from a VR-4 would be awesome though :D
    I don't disagree with simply going past the installation headache of putting in a 6A13tt. I would personally opt for the importation of the VR4 Legnum or Galant.

2002ShadowDeamon
    So who should i contact about trying to get one over here? Everyone that i talk to one those sites to order from say that it cant be done because it is RHD, which is BS! So, can someone tell me who i should contact?

WarmAndSCSI

I don't disagree with simply going past the installation headache of putting in a 6A13tt. I would personally opt for the importation of the VR4 Legnum or Galant.
    Now that I think about it, there really is no point in swapping in a 6A13TT engine versus importing a VR-4:

1.) I would rebuild the engine no matter WHAT. You need to find out its history by tearing it down.
    2.) Sourcing the correct transmission (it's the 4G67 1.8L one, right?)
    3.) Fortifying a really weak transmission (this is just my speculation, feel free to prove me wrong) to handle quite a bit more power
    4.) Paying for the labor involved (your time, mechanic's time, whatever)
    5.) Cost of supplies, equipment, etc

Not worth it at all IMO. Importing a VR-4, however, is quite an interesting perspective.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GALANTOWNER
    Sharing my knowledge about some of the facts of getting one here is being jealous?? Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or just bored and need to talk some shit to make you feel better?? Just curious. If he can get 5 VR4 here it would be great because it would mean that more people could but I have done some research on what it takes to get one here and even talked to EPA people and that is some of the stuff required. You go ahead and incourage him all you want, Im just saving him the time or atleast pointing him in the right direction, what are you doing besides trying to argue with me?
    I'm not the one who made the snide remark to begin with. I swear, half you idiots on this board are delusional. Go re-read your original post and try to comprehend why you're continuing to try to defend yourself instead of reconciling and saying that buying a car like an M3 is nothing like importing a truly unique car.
    What is so freaking unique about it??? It's not unique just diffrent then the ones we have. Now taking an USDM Galant and making it Vr4 would be Unique but the Galant Vr4 or Legnum are not unique bro. There are thousands of VR4 Galants in the US right now. The best Vr4 Galant ever made I think was 1988 anyway and those are here. IM an idiot, wow!

2002ShadowDeamon
    So it is worth importing one! Holy shit!!! I think im going to look into this even more! Who do I call for information?

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    So who should i contact about trying to get one over here? Everyone that i talk to one those sites to order from say that it cant be done because it is RHD, which is BS! So, can someone tell me who i should contact?
    Let me get that for you, give me a sec.

So it is worth importing one! Holy shit!!! I think im going to look into this even more! Who do I call for information?
    yes it is man.... i say you can do it, go for it..

WarmAndSCSI
    Sharing my knowledge about some of the facts of getting one here is being jealous?? Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or just bored and need to talk some shit to make you feel better?? Just curious. If he can get 5 VR4 here it would be great because it would mean that more people could but I have done some research on what it takes to get one here and even talked to EPA people and that is some of the stuff required. You go ahead and incourage him all you want, Im just saving him the time or atleast pointing him in the right direction, what are you doing besides trying to argue with me?
    I'm not the one who made the snide remark to begin with. I swear, half you idiots on this board are delusional. Go re-read your original post and try to comprehend why you're continuing to try to defend yourself instead of reconciling and saying that buying a car like an M3 is nothing like importing a truly unique car.
    What is so freaking unique about it??? It's not unique just diffrent then the ones we have. Now taking an USDM Galant and making it Vr4 would be Unique but the Galant Vr4 or Legnum are not unique bro. There are thousands of VR4 Galants in the US right now. The best Vr4 Galant ever made I think was 1988 anyway and those are here. IM an idiot, wow!
    There are thousands of 8th gen VR-4 Galants in the US right now? Yes, I think you are an idiot if you believe that. Go give that same attitude to somebody who spent several years trying to import a Skyline R34 GT-R and see how it goes. Better yet, PM Mante and tell him his VR-4 isn't unique. No wonder he left TGC.

You do realize we're in the 8th Gen forum talking about importing VR-4's and 6A13TT's right?

Go give that same attitude to somebody who spent several years trying to import a Skyline R34 GT-R and see how it goes.
    thats what the guy here in Chicago has......

2002ShadowDeamon
    And I think that the Legnum VR-4 are very unique! There is nothing sexier than a Galant wagon with a twinturbo V-6! Just saying it makes me a little hard! LOL!

WarmAndSCSI
    Go give that same attitude to somebody who spent several years trying to import a Skyline R34 GT-R and see how it goes.
    And I bet he's very proud of his UNIQUE car, just like any owners of 8G VR-4's are proud of their cars.

And I bet he's very proud of his UNIQUE car, just like any owners of 8G VR-4's are proud of their cars.
    LOL!!!!! dude is styling and profiling in it every summer. parks it outside his shop so i slow down when i drive down the street.... :shock:

there are only a handfull of vr-4's in the us. other vr-4's such ass the 6th gen was actually produced here. i don't know where you got your numbers from. and shipping a car is $1100- $1500 i would know. i've had family do it and i got others in the business. it all depends where you import it from. from germany where there are vr-4's the price above is about right

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast