The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Decreasing Gas Mileage???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 32 of 32
    Quote Originally Posted by duh2150
    dam did i hear yall payed 200 for a sensor!?! i ned to buy me a bike and pedal around town lol, id take it out and make it think its running perfect all the time, i wonder if we can do that, insted of having one not have one at all :) the end of the problems
    well... i took my car to a shop cuz i had a SES light on... and i think bank 1 sensor 2 was shorted (not sure if that the right one....). anyways, the mechanic got me a new one and charged me 200 for the part and 50 for labor. next time it happens, i'm doing it myself; i'm sure i can find a universal sensor for less than 200 out there, and just put it on myself.

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m
    also it really isnt paying for you to run premium gas, our motors only have a 9:1 compression ratio, which is a little bit low to run that high of octane. just run 87 and every once in a while like when you do a oil change put in some premium. your gas milage will go back up in the spring when they go back to 10% ethenol.
    i didnt realize they made v6 7g's, lol look at his fender in his sig.

damn, there was be sumthing seriously wrong with my car...i have a 4 banger 8g and am getting about 270 per tank. i drive fairly easy as i have the evo for the spirited driving. how much should i be getting per tank? i have seen numbers well over 300, what could cause such a major drop? i check my tire pressure weekly, air filter changed when needed, etc

Quote Originally Posted by run1206 View Post
    well... i took my car to a shop cuz i had a SES light on... and i think bank 1 sensor 2 was shorted (not sure if that the right one....). anyways, the mechanic got me a new one and charged me 200 for the part and 50 for labor. next time it happens, i'm doing it myself; i'm sure i can find a universal sensor for less than 200 out there, and just put it on myself.
    LOL i got quoted $400 to change 2 o2 sensors about a year ago and i tell you what I changed one because only one was bad and they told me 2 were bad. took me 30 mins and $75.00 and I changed it all by myself. repair shops are a rip 98% of the time.
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    you guys think theres something wrong with your cars? drive mine. i have to drive like grandma just to get 220. i need to replace alot of shit this coming sping

and the 220 is NOT just the winter for those of you that might comment that, its been that way since last april when i bought it but thought it was normal until i read this thread when it first was made

Geez 220? I get 240 and I occasionally drive it pretty hard. Yeah, I'd say it's the gas, my miles went down in the winter too.

its not the gas for me. its my car

its been that way threw spring, summer, fall, and winter. no change. i have a shit load of money i need to drop into a tune up since i have no clue how to do the shit my self

Aw, c'mon, I think you could at least change the spark plugs yourself if yout gonna do a tune-up. I didn't know how to do that either but I learned!

see my problem is this

wtf are spark plugs? anyone can laugh. but the more i try to learn about performance the more i confuse the shit outta my self. my mom knows a few things about cars, but not enough to help me and my dad, lets no go there. my cousin only works on american trucks like his ford. so i have to rely on making money to get the work done since i cant rely on anyone to help me, i cant get a ride to work if i screw it up

edit: im not asking symphy, or for people to spoon feed me. but i dont have 2 cars or another way to work or school. so i cant just try stuff to learn to hope it works

im a hands on learner and its hard to understand what is what about the engine when i read the good info on here. plus i hardly have any tools. it would be cheaper ot have someone else do it

Quote Originally Posted by 99 galant View Post
    see my problem is this

wtf are spark plugs? anyone can laugh. but the more i try to learn about performance the more i confuse the shit outta my self. my mom knows a few things about cars, but not enough to help me and my dad, lets no go there. my cousin only works on american trucks like his ford. so i have to rely on making money to get the work done since i cant rely on anyone to help me, i cant get a ride to work if i screw it up

edit: im not asking symphy, or for people to spoon feed me. but i dont have 2 cars or another way to work or school. so i cant just try stuff to learn to hope it works

im a hands on learner and its hard to understand what is what about the engine when i read the good info on here. plus i hardly have any tools. it would be cheaper ot have someone else do it
    buy a repair manual. it will be your best friend.

but to change plugs all you need is a 3/8" ratchet, 8" extension, a 5/8" spark plug socket, a 10mm socket and a 12" piece of 1/2" ID rubber hose. assuming you an I4, just take out the 4 bolts on the coil packs (unplug them first), pull the plugs wires loose from the plugs and wires, using the plug socket, remove the plugs. use the hose to keep from cross threading the plugs and just follow these steps backwards to install. oh and note how the wires run before you remove them

sry, that was off topic, but i couldnt help myself

im V6, and i learned over the years from installing my moms dvd stuff with the vcr and my videogames to watch the wires, but thanks for reminding me. id prolly forget. you should see what my mom did to the wires for the dvd player has tags on them made of paper and tape, i do have a small set of sockets, nothing bit enough for what you explained tho

Rastus
    Quote Originally Posted by projectGTZ View Post
    I run 93 octane in it (because i want to :D).
    If that's your car with a V6 in your sig, the manual says to run 93 octane(my V6-2001 book says so anyway). Just FYI, octane retards combustion to prevent high compression engines from pre-ignition, so higher octane gas develops less horspower than lower octane.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12