The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: rear sway bars

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

rear sway bars

i read somewhere online that rear sway bars help FWD cars overcome understeer.. is that true? and what is the exact purpose of a sway bar? do front and rear sway bars do anything different?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    The eaisest way to describe what sway bars do is this. It gives the car better directional stability during hard cornering. This is helpful for a skilled driver who knows his cars limits and it can be catastrophic for a rookie driver. For the rookie driver, it can give a false sense of stability. Think of it like this, ever take an exit ramp too fast and you hear the tires start to chirp, usually this lets you know your just about on the threshold of G forces the car can take before you loose control and spin out. The sway bars job is to extend this threshold, however in doing so, it eliminates the safety zone. So essentially it gives you a false sense of stability, you may take the turn at the same speed as before, but now the tires dont chirp, the car feels nice and tight and all is well, but in actuality the sway bar is just doing its job, so you might be right on the threshold again, but you dont know it. So it makes it more like, your either in control or out of control where as stock your in control, feel like your starting to loose it and then out of control.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Would you recommend sway bars for somebody who is just going to be cruising and not racing?

Quote Originally Posted by 2000Galant
    Would you recommend sway bars for somebody who is just going to be cruising and not racing?
    if cruising means never pushing your car then no.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

I will say one thing in that since I got my rear bar, driving in snow has made the car alot more controlable. It used to push like nothing else, but now I can actually turn for one thing, and when I do get breakaway it is alot more even as the whole car goes into a drift, which I can control alot better than when the car pushes. I'd certainly say messing with swaybars is for someone who knows how to handle the car once it starts to break away. You have to be somewhat carefull about hitting your brakes or even lifting throttle mid turn, as the car will be much more prone to letting the back end step out. Fine tuning can help rid the car of the snap oversteer that can come with a really big rear bar, but you have to be willing to do it to make spending the money on the bar worthwhile.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Damned double post.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    i hate to bring a post back from the dead, but did the 8g come with a stock read sway bar? i looked under the rear half of my car today and saw one.

Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    i hate to bring a post back from the dead, but did the 8g come with a stock read sway bar? i looked under the rear half of my car today and saw one.
    You must have a DE. All other models came with rear swaybars.

no, i have an ES, and i meant rear not read

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    They all have rear sway bars dude, why??

i didn't realize that. do they have front ones? should i replace the rear sway bar with an after market?

i don't have a rear sway bar (DE), though we all have front sway bars.

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    no, i have an ES, and i meant rear not read
    My bad, I misread your post.

should i replace the stock ones? if so is it just the 3g eclipse ones?

The front one is a PITA to change and doesn't need to be changed. You can replace the rear one with an ADDCO one like I have, I have one on both my Galants.

that didn't exactly answer my question. is it a 8g galant one or a 3g eclipse?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar

When I talk about other cars I will say so. The one I have is made specifically for the Galant.

alright so how about needing the front one? i just put my megan springs and kyb shocks on but in the prosses o getting the old shocks off i stripped the swaybar end links and had to cut them off so now the front swaybar is just sitting in there. i havent driven it yet and i do plan on getting 2 more eng links this week to replace them, i was just wondering if it was cool to drive without it?