The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Battery Help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 28 of 28
    West LA, Cali by way of PG County, Maryland
    Well yeah they definetely knew that it had to be slow charged. So it looks like it's an alternator problem then. Thanks guys. I didn't know idleing and engine stalling at a red light would be an alternator problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonez
    Well yeah they definetely knew that it had to be slow charged. So it looks like it's an alternator problem then. Thanks guys. I didn't know idleing and engine stalling at a red light would be an alternator problem.
    Well engine stall, idleing can sometimes be a couple things but from what you wrote earlier, this definately sounds like alternator to me

WarmAndSCSI
    Your ECU runs off alternator voltage. Without a good battery, your fuel injection or ignition systems can malfunction. The battery acts as a very large capacitor and keeps the voltage stable in your electrical system. Take it out while the car is running and see how everything runs

It's also likely that you have a compound problem. If the battery is bad, replace it and move on to the next problem. If the alternator also tests bad, replace it too. Diagnosis of anything in your car that uses electricity (essentially everything) is nearly impossible without a good source of power.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    Your ECU runs off alternator voltage. Without a good battery, your fuel injection or ignition systems can malfunction. The battery acts as a very large capacitor and keeps the voltage stable in your electrical system. Take it out while the car is running and see how everything runs

It's also likely that you have a compound problem. If the battery is bad, replace it and move on to the next problem. If the alternator also tests bad, replace it too. Diagnosis of anything in your car that uses electricity (essentially everything) is nearly impossible without a good source of power.
    PREACH!!

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI

PREACH!!
    What!? :? Do you actually want to fix your problem or not?

yeah man PREACH means you spitting out all the good info.

If you do have to change your alternator...it would definitely be wise to look at a H.O. alternator since your running a lot of aftermarker electrical eqiupment. Thats if you dont mind going without your galant for a little while. Just something to consider since it could of been your current setup that killed your stock alternator in the first place...how many watts you pushing??
    It you look straight in my eyes you still might see a disguise

I work at autozone, we pretty nearly never use trickle chargers. In the case of the optimas, I've never gotten a "charge & retest" on the cart. They've always come up either good or bad, so I suppose i've never had occasion to slow charge one.

As for getting a new one, I would encourage you to check on your warranty first. No sense in getting spendy on a new battery if you don't have to. Even if the battery is out of the free replacement period, many times you are still under the prorated portion of the warranty and may receive a substantial discount on a new battery.

You got NO cranking when you turned the key? maybe the starter is bad too. Even with a pretty weak battery you generally get some weak sounding attempt to turn the engine over in my experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12