The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Front hubs out- how?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Front hubs out- how?

I went to the junkyard just to experiment and get some practice on getting the front hubs out before I do the 5 lug swap. I got the spindle out, unbolted the hubs and for my surprise it didnt come out as easy as the rear ones. I put a smaller and longer bolt thru the hub bolt hole and screwed a nut on the other side, so I can push the hub out. Well, it was coming out but it was only the half of it--the inner part. The bearings were stuck in the spindle. So, should I do the same when I go for the 5 lug swap and just replace the inner part, or there is a way to get the entire hub out.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    If they are anything like 8g hubs, which I think they are similar, you should really take the spindle off and have the old hub/bearing pressed out. its not alot of money, any machine shop or decent mechanic with a press can do it. They charge $10 locally by me to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

How hard (and expensive) is it to do a 5-lug swap, cuz my friend is selling me a set of 18" 5-lug 5-spoke wheels with brand new tires for $100. Unfortunately 7Gs are 4-lug.

So yeah, how much work would that be?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    the rears should be cake. not sure about the fronts tho.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

the rears are cake... seriously no sweat... the only thing that has to be modified in any way whatsoever is the hole where the e-brake cable goes into the inner drum piece. (5 minutes with a drill). The front is the more tricky part. since we couldnt get the hub assembly off the car at the junkyard we took that whole arm piece (not sure what you call it) home. they are the exact same as ours, except they have the 5-lug hubs in them. when you do this be prepared to shell out some more money, because on mine all six front control arms/ball joints broke. :x waiting on the parts to arive to finish up. should be done by new years!!! :D
    Diamond Star Motors - Turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1989.

if you have any :?: shoot me a pm...
    Diamond Star Motors - Turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1989.