The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hey Guys

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Hey Guys

So what engine oil do you 7G guys use? I tried Mobil 1 Full synthetic that didn't last long after 2000 miles it was low. So then I tried the valvoline Max Life the red one with the Synthetic blend 75000 miles or over and that worked great for me lasted me for 4500 miles which is good for me hehe.

Your engine is most likely going to burn oil, it's a pretty normal occurrence on the 4g64. You should definitely be changing your oil and filter at 3000 mile intervals regardless of which oil you use. Make sure to check the oil level frequently and top off the crankcase if you are running low. Personally I am using Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic but may be switching over to a full synthetic once I can diagnose how quickly i'm burning oil after the new turbo gets a few miles on it. I don't feel like wasting close to $10 a quart if i'll just be burning it all away.

222whp/250wtq

Mobil 1 Full synthetic here. 110k and ticking. Lasts at least 3000 for me. Don't know beyond due to changing.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

WarmAndSCSI
    laxin, did you mean full synthetic as in a full Group IV base oil? Mobil 1 0W-40 would be what you want if you want to save some $$$ and still get a full synthetic with a "street" additive package.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    laxin, did you mean full synthetic as in a full Group IV base oil? Mobil 1 0W-40 would be what you want if you want to save some $$$ and still get a full synthetic with a "street" additive package.
    Yup that's exactly what i'm talking about. Still more expensive than your typical synthetics though. :?

222whp/250wtq

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by laxinwarrior
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    Yup that's exactly what i'm talking about. Still more expensive than your typical synthetics though. :?
    Mobil 1 0W-40 is $6.09 a quart last time I checked, same as regular Mobil 1. Wal-Mart doesn't carry it in Utah, but both AutoZone and Checker do. Nobody ever buys it because it says "European vehicle formula" and you know damn well Mercedes and BMW drivers don't do their own oil changes