The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: squeals when headlights on

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

squeals when headlights on

okay so first of course my car like many others had this horrible squeal. but then for the most part it was solved when i changed my belts. but then i noticed that they only squeal when its cold and i accelerate and either the heater and/or my headlights are on. after i drive for a while and i guess the car is "fully" warmed up it tends to subside. I don't know a whole lot about cars but i need to solve this problem...it's bugging me....so any help would be appreciated.

First I'd re-adjust the tension of your alternator belt. I am assuming it is the alternator belt because you say it squeals when you turn your headlights on. I'd guess the extra current draw from the headlights would cause your alternator to engage to charge the battery and as such cause more resistance at the alternator pulley. Other option is to consider changing the fan belt again only using either OEM belt or top of line after market. I put new autozone fan belts on two different 7G's after doing their timing belts. On both cars the power steering belt squealed like a stuck pig. Nothing fixed it; tightening/loosening adjustments, belt dressing, etc. I finally bought a new Gates brand power steering belt and have not had a peep since.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

how do you adjust the tensioner cause my car has the same problem. I guess for now I'll just let it be though.

This is simple stuff and very straight forward. If you don't know how to do this consider buying a Haynes manual from Autozone or Checkers (cost around $20). The chapter one covers routine maintenence to include fan belts.

Anyway, stand by the fender on the driver's side of your car with the hood up. Looks to your left and there is your power steering pump. Below your power steering pump is the alternator. On the left end of the alternator near the pulley you will see a bolt sticking up that fits into a bracket on the end of the alternator (think it's 12mm). This is the tensioning bolt. Before trying to tighten this you have to loosen the nut/bolt the alternator pivots on. To do this get inder the car and look up. It is above and to the rear of the the oil filter. Look for the 12mm nut/bolt. Loosen it. Now you should be able to move the alternator. You can also carefully use a lever (don't want to bend or bust anything) to free up the alternator. Once the alternator can be moved pull it as far towards the front of the car as you can by hand. Pull hard and adjust the tension bolt to hold it in place. You can also use a lever but go easy with it. With a lever you can overtighten the belt and/or damage the pulley bearings.
    Once tension bolt is re-tightened check the belt flex by pressing down forcefully on the fan belt with your finger; you should see about 1/2 inch of total flex in the belt. Now go back and tighten the pivot nut/bolt. Start car and see what happens. Re-adjust if necessary (make belt tighter or looser) to see if the sound goes away. If you can't adjust the noise away then it is time for a new belt. Spend a few bucks to get a good belt i.e., OEM or gates brand. Should cost around $10-$14.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL