The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: PlastX vs 7 year old headlights

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

PlastX vs 7 year old headlights

So I took a few minutes today to use this PlastX clear plastic polish I picked up at work on my headlights and fog lights.

It cleaned up the plastic really nicely. It didn't take out the little cracks and deeper scratches in the lens but it restored it to full clarity, almost like brand new. The light output is significantly better than what it was before I did this.

I would recommend this product for removing haze and bonded dirt/contaminants from the lenses and possibly light scratches.

yeah plastX works good

plastx is pretty damn effective.

before you use it,

use some polishing compound or rubbing compound to remove the majority of the surface contaminants.

then buff it thouroghly
    and follow up with a regemine of plastX

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    plastx is pretty damn effective.

before you use it,

use some polishing compound or rubbing compound to remove the majority of the surface contaminants.

then buff it thouroghly
    and follow up with a regemine of plastX
    What if I want to get out some deep scratches? the kind that your fingernail will hang up in when you run it over the surface.

I've also got these little tiny like... pits, or very small craters in the lens. I'm assuming they come from years of being blasted with sand and little rocks driving by the beach at 80 miles an hour.

Now that i've used the PlastX and saw how nice the stock housings can look when they're clean, I really want to make them perfect; like brand new.

sand paper.
    and lots of elbow grease

start with 400, wet 800, then wet 1000, then wet 1200 then wet 1500 then wet 2000
    then rubbing compound, then polishing compound,
    then plastX
    then wax.

it will take a long time, and you'll have to take them off the car,
    but when you are done.... they'll probably look etter than rand new.

i've done it before.... and it turnes out amazingl

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

yeah with that much effort i can see how it would turn out really nice.

I think i'm just going to do the rubbing compound, polishing compound, and PlastX followed by wax. rubbing compound is pretty serious stuff. i've taken painted surfaces down to bare metal using rubbing compound before when I didn't have sandpaper.

My only concern is that the red compound might stain the plastic, but presumably the polishing compound and PlastX will take care of that.

Do you know if I can use fastwax on the lenses? that stuff works beautifully in everything else.

how do you take the head light off to get inside of it?

Quote Originally Posted by pvgalant
    how do you take the head light off to get inside of it?
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you want to take the housing off so it's easier to work on or do you want to actually take the headlight housing apart so you can modify it?

so its easier to work on?

gotta try that!

as long as you've never driven around without the bulb seals on the headlights to where water and dirt can get in..........

then you dn't need to clean the insides of the lenses.

but, taking the headlamp assembly off the car, makes it easier to get a complete restoration of the lens,
    and reduces the risk f you damaging your paint because your sandpaper slipped.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I went out and bought that plasX thinking it was gunna make em look like they where brand spankin new. Cant say it did much of crap. I will have to try and clean the inside of it though.

Tried it on my brothers destroyed 04 eclipse headlights and again I got nothin.
    Life is a....... ehhhh depending how u dress er

Sweet, now I must procur a bottle of plastX because my headlights are looking quite sandblasted.