The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to replace an EGR Valve?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

How to replace an EGR Valve?

Does anyone know how to change an EGR Valve on a 9G? Actually where is it located and how can I replace it. They don't have any Manuals for the '04.

2004 4-cycl

I'm getting an error code P0401 EGR Flow insufficient. I've taken the car to the service tech and they "cleaned it" and now the service engine light has come on again. The car is not malfunctioning, but I don't want to end up on the side of the road because of this. :?
    Any help is appreciated. :)
    CeeDeeLight

God has a purpose and plan for your life!

take it back to the dealer... they will fix it fro ya! its a common code 9g's have
    Last edited by krazienluv10; 01-27-2011 at 02:31 AM
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krazienluv10
    take it back to the dealer... they will fix it fro ya! its a common code us 9g's have, and dont worry you wont get stuck on the road...
    I hope for free.

i have this problem too... but i cant go to the dealer cuz they will blame me for the problem...

Some 4g's are having this problem and they had it fixed at the dealer for free...you just need to know how to bitch n whine a lil

take it back to the dealer... they will fix it fro ya! its a common code us 9g's have, and dont worry you wont get stuck on the road...
    I did take it to the dealer the 1st time and they "cleaned it" and supposedly tested it, but the error returned a week later. I don't want to have to pay them again. I figure If it's an easy fix I can order the part and avoid labor charges, because they ain't gonna fix it for free.

Again I ask is there anyone who has replaced this part before. Or, if you own a 2004/2005, if I buy the Haynes manual that goes to a 2003, would it basically be the same for the 2004?
    CeeDeeLight

the egr is the big metal gold thing in back of the engine bay, near the wall... if the dealer already cleaned the egr valve, im sure they would have seen leaks in the gasket or something... you can go ahead and replace it... but i wouldnt be suprised if the light pops up again! its probably something else correlating with it...

take it back to the dealer...

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar

the egr is the big metal gold thing in back of the engine bay, near the wall... if the dealer already cleaned the egr valve, im sure they would have seen leaks in the gasket or something... you can go ahead and replace it... but i wouldnt be suprised if the light pops up again! its probably something else correlating with it...

take it back to the dealer...
    Not only that but I bet the egr valve itself is at least $100, so why not just pay mitsu the 1 or 2 hours labor to fix it and make sure its right. Hell, if the code came back on, you should have brought it right back in and most likely they would have done it for free, but now since you waited, your probably going to have to sack up and pay again.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Dude going by the book, 1 or 2 hours at the dealer is like 68 bux an hour. And they dont go by the time it takes them to finish, they go by the time the book tell them it takes to do the labor and charge you off that.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

^^i agree that it is a little expensive... but i would rather pay, then fix something that did not to be fixed and still have the same problem...usually they have a fixed time rate and will show how long it will take...

i am giving ya the file ceedeelight regarding the egr... its really up to you if you want to seriously replace gives location, etc...

http://www.uploading.com/files/LDJHR...00_17.pdf.html
    Last edited by krazienluv10; 01-27-2011 at 02:30 AM

EGR Valve

Thanks for the file, I'm going to check it out when I get from work. I can't open it at work.

I called the dealer and basically with parts and labor it will be 353.68.

Labor is $84 and parts is 269.68.
    CeeDeeLight

its not the EGR valve.
    you probably have a restriction in the vacuum nipple, hoses, or solenoid that activate it.

EGR valves NEVER fail on mitsus. At least the vacuum operated ones.

EGR Valve issue
    Does anyone know how to change an EGR Valve on a 9G? Actually where is it located and how can I replace it. They don't have any Manuals for the '04.

I'm back, it's still an issue. went to the dealer and they basically stole my $ because it came on again after 8 months and the wouldn't replace it for free b/c it was over the mileage of the warranty.
    Does anyone have a pdf or picture of the location of the egr valve on a 9G. I'm going clean it or replace it myself. I just need it to pass inspection.

2004 4-cycl
    I'm getting an error code P0401 EGR Flow insufficient
    CeeDeeLight

Located on the intake manifold. What you have to do is remove the plastic intake box. About 6 10mm bolts and the.hose clap on the rubber intake. Look down on the intake and that's your egr valve. Disconnect the conector and 2 12 mm bolts is holding it. When remove spray carbon cleaner down the hole. Should take less than 10mins.

Icon14 Found it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gotti View Post
    Located on the intake manifold. What you have to do is remove the plastic intake box. About 6 10mm bolts and the.hose clap on the rubber intake. Look down on the intake and that's your egr valve. Disconnect the conector and 2 12 mm bolts is holding it. When remove spray carbon cleaner down the hole. Should take less than 10mins.
    Thanks, I Appreciate it a whole lot!

Last edited by CeeDeeLight; 01-27-2011 at 11:08 PM Reason: Add picture of EGR location on 9G
    CeeDeeLight