The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: timing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24

timing?

Back in december I replaced my timing belts and the pulleys and the drive belts and now the timing mark on the camshafts is off by 1/2 a tooth. It runs fine its just that when it idles it slightly jumps , I did replace the spark plugs too but I do need a rear engine roller mount too which is causing some slight vibration . I am just wondering If anyone out there pops there hood and watches there engine run really smooth or with some loping very minute or small. I only have 86 thousand miles on it 8)

WarmAndSCSI
    1st question: 4G64 or 6G72?

It's impossible to make your timing off by 1/2 tooth unless the belt is A) not tensioned correctly or B) stretched.

Your ECU will pop a code if your timing is off because of the discrepancy between the Cam Angle Sensor and the Crank Angle Sensor.

timing

dont tell me its impossible to be off by half a tooth i have been working on galants since 1990 and am an established mechanic since 1990. I know what I am talking about, thanx :evil:

Its a 4 and I also replaced the cam belt to see if it stretched I am not retatred

wow noobs gone wild. Ok so first off if you are an established mechanic you would probably know that if you have a bad engine mount your engine will shake some, you would also know that no motor runs perfectly smooth moving parts mean vibrations. Also if you are half a tooth off dose that mean that your belt isnt on the gear right, the teeth go into the groves not on top. . seriously your questions don't add up to you credentials.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m
    wow noobs gone wild. Ok so first off if you are an established mechanic you would probably know that if you have a bad engine mount your engine will shake some, you would also know that no motor runs perfectly smooth moving parts mean vibrations. Also if you are half a tooth off dose that mean that your belt isnt on the gear right, the teeth go into the groves not on top. . seriously your questions don't add up to you credentials.
    Before correcting someone just know what youre talking about.. Yes the engine will shake regardless.. But just because you see the engine moving does not mean that you have a bad mount.. It just means your stock mounts are soft and are made to absorb most of the engine vibration so you dont feel it in the cabin.. Hence the reason ppl go to prothane SOLID mounts....... Second thing. When i did my belt when i had my motor on the engine stand it was 1/2 tooth off.. SO yes it is possible. BUT i had someone come do it for me and they got it dead on....... If im not mistaken... You are supposed to line all marks up.. Then put your belt on and start from the side that isnt tensioned (where the tensioner doesnt contact the belt) then work your way around then release the tensioner.. Now sometimes when you release the tensioner it CAN cause either pulley to go off a little bit due to the fact that it wasnt tensioned correctly on the non tensioned side.............

WarmAndSCSI

Re: timing

Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer
    dont tell me its impossible to be off by half a tooth i have been working on galants since 1990 and am an established mechanic since 1990. I know what I am talking about, thanx :evil:
    Then don't ask any questions

And if you indeed are a half a tooth off, you screwed up the tensioning part of the timing belt job. You obviously don't know what you're doing as a mechanic or else you wouldn't be asking this question on a message board.

If you really want help, then I suggest you lose the attitude.

basically what i was saying is dont ask a question and get mad when someone gives you an answer. Seriously though you sound like you have no idea what you are doing which is conflicting with your quote about being a established mechanic. most mechanics would know that if the engine is shaking when it is idling there might be a problem. But also like i said moving parts create vibrations not saying that your engine is going to be moving a inch back and forth, saying that it will be vibrating not running like a swiss clock.

1996 galant s

timing

listen fellas i was ticked of , but here is the deal every part is new the tensioner the pulleys the drive belts the cambelt the balanceshaft belt . and i replaced the belt once to see if it stretched it didnt i even called the parts store to cross reference the number and still a half a tooth off I am pretty precise when i look at things especially timing marks maybe you guys are not , but i was just asking if your galants run really incredibly smooth i have been in a few cars lately too and put my leg on the door panels in idle and notice a loping iin all of the cars from hyundais to dodgesand other models i guess it normal i didnt notice it because i drive with my bass going too . there is no check engine light on and my mount is definately shot its torn

galant 306 a welder common man

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    You'll get used to him, he don't even know what he says half the time.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar

listen fellas i was ticked of , but here is the deal every part is new the tensioner the pulleys the drive belts the cambelt the balanceshaft belt . and i replaced the belt once to see if it stretched it didnt i even called the parts store to cross reference the number and still a half a tooth off I am pretty precise when i look at things especially timing marks maybe you guys are not , but i was just asking if your galants run really incredibly smooth i have been in a few cars lately too and put my leg on the door panels in idle and notice a loping iin all of the cars from hyundais to dodgesand other models i guess it normal i didnt notice it because i drive with my bass going too . there is no check engine light on and my mount is definately shot its torn
    Did you do the trick where you retard the cam gear one tooth on the belt before you tension it? When you tension it, it usually advances the timing by one tooth. I dont see your theory on being "1/2" tooth off? It can only be one tooth, half tooth would be the belt rib sitting atop the cam gear tooth? Can you line up the timing and take a picture of the timing marks?
    7g for life!

timing

yes I did that advanced it then retarted it back and forth like 50 times but it runs fine and I think the slight vibration is from the worn engine mount and just normal engine wear and tear. I am so precise when I look at the mark on the valve cover ans the cam gear . I just guess I am just too precise

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    So swap out the bad mount and go from there :P

You can never be too precise when it comes to the integrity of your motor.
    7g for life!

WarmAndSCSI

yes I did that advanced it then retarted it back and forth like 50 times but it runs fine and I think the slight vibration is from the worn engine mount and just normal engine wear and tear. I am so precise when I look at the mark on the valve cover ans the cam gear . I just guess I am just too precise
    Are you positive the valve cover isn't bent? I believe the 4G64 has the timing notch cut into it, right? I've had my timing "off" before because that part of the valve cover was bent.

yes i am sure its not bent besides what would it look like if it was bent? 8)

Actually im not a welder ne more. im a tool and die maker. But still. The timing might not be the problem if you engine is running rough i would check wires and plugs first. I no you said that they were new buy one might have fouled out already which would be giving you a rough idle. Also check your vacume lines.

1996 galant s

timing

is it really possible to foul out plugs , ngk v plugs 1 /2 hr old I dont think so already done, by the way what does everone gap there plugs at .39? or less

WarmAndSCSI
    yes i am sure its not bent besides what would it look like if it was bent? 8)
    It would look bent? :?

is it really possible to foul out plugs , ngk v plugs 1 /2 hr old I dont think so already done, by the way what does everone gap there plugs at .39? or less
    Actually if you want to know, yes its possible. But in this case it more likely that a spark plug may be defective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast