The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: where is this ground????

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

where is this ground????

UPDATE:

https://thegalantcenter.net/forum/vi...ighlight=short

this thread is a mirror image of my problem to make it short the problem is a bad ground to the gauge cluster and i would rather not cut the wire in half and ground it i would rather fix the original ground does anyone have a clue where it is its the black and red wire behind the clusterif im not making sense can some help clear up what im trying to say.thanks!!!

i have seen this has been a issue a couple times on the boards i just basically wanna kno were should i check first for a short and how exactly should i look and what does it look like.if anyone has fixed this problem please let me know how u fixed it

i have a 8g 4cyl 01 dash lights are out right rear and front but both blink when i press the turn signals bulbs are fine there are no aftermarket parts in the dash signals or anywhere in the lights that went out. any more info needed please ask
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    my brother had that problem...his wound up being under the dash but started burning under the hood...i would check the wires leading from the fuse box and then trying to trace it and see if you can detect anything wrong with the wire check for power etc using a multimeter...unfortunatelly shorts can be a bit of a pain in the ass...it wouldnt be a bad idea to take it to a mechanic if your initial search doesnt have any good results

Quote Originally Posted by fatal1
    my brother had that problem...his wound up being under the dash but started burning under the hood...i would check the wires leading from the fuse box and then trying to trace it and see if you can detect anything wrong with the wire check for power etc using a multimeter...unfortunatelly shorts can be a bit of a pain in the ass...it wouldnt be a bad idea to take it to a mechanic if your initial search doesnt have any good results

is there nyway to trace it physically??if i use a multimeter i have to cut the plastic off the wiring dont i?or how does it work?
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    the multimeter will tell you how many volts are going through the wire...to trace it you would have to cut it out an look at it and test in several locations...you will also have to look with your eyes and see if there are any physical problems with the wire like a tear etc

WarmAndSCSI
    ^^ not entirely accurate. The electrical system in the Galant is designed so that you can test most sections of wiring between the termination points (junction box/fuse box in the engine bay, fuse box on driver's side, etc.) Check the service manual electrical section to find all of these areas. You'll probably need an extended set of leads for your multimeter, though. Just check continuity between point A and B and also to ground to check for a short. Have fun! 8)

thanks alot guys one last question is there a specific ground like the main ground for the electrical system thats messing up ?if i remember right i pulled my radio out to show a friend somthin... i dont kno if that has anything to do with it cus it was during the day so i didnt have any lights on but that same night the short popped up so im wondering if there is a ground behing the bezel for this specific system???
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

WarmAndSCSI
    There is a grounding point for the radio right behind it... It's only for the radio unless you've hooked something else up to it. Remember, all electrical devices in your car are grounded to the same point - the negative terminal on your battery.

ok after foolin with this the whole day almost here was all the problems....

no parking light on the right side front and back,alarm doesnt work,cigarette lighter doesnt light up but works,gauge cluster is out.fuse keeps blowing..

ok and now i mesed with some wiring and now everything is the same except the parking lights work now and the fuse doesnt blow out anymore wut the hell??wuts goin on?why is that the only thibng workin?
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

Re: where is this ground????

Quote Originally Posted by g-ridda
    UPDATE:

https://thegalantcenter.net/forum/vi...ighlight=short

this thread is a mirror image of my problem to make it short the problem is a bad ground to the gauge cluster and i would rather not cut the wire in half and ground it i would rather fix the original ground does anyone have a clue where it is its the black and red wire behind the clusterif im not making sense can some help clear up what im trying to say.thanks!!!

i have seen this has been a issue a couple times on the boards i just basically wanna kno were should i check first for a short and how exactly should i look and what does it look like.if anyone has fixed this problem please let me know how u fixed it

i have a 8g 4cyl 01 dash lights are out right rear and front but both blink when i press the turn signals bulbs are fine there are no aftermarket parts in the dash signals or anywhere in the lights that went out. any more info needed please ask
    still havent found the problem but i have narrowed it down please check the first post
    PIMPIN AINT EASY