The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: When to replace timing belt?

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

When to replace timing belt?

00 Galant 4 cylinder with 99600 miles.

I got the 50K tune up and it was suggested then to replace the timing belt (supposed to be at 60K??) Well I put it off long enough and wondered what was the board's opinion on when the belt should be replaced.

Also, what, if anything, am I risking (other than being left stranded) by holding this of? Will the engine get damaged if the belt inadvertently snaps?

You are getting close to 10,000 miles overdue. (if you go by the cali spec standards) And yes you will bend/break valves if the belt snaps while driving. Not a cheap fix for being a slouch on regular maintenance. My recommendation is do it as soon as possible or else be prepared to buy a replacement head/motor.

222whp/250wtq

WarmAndSCSI
    Recommended interval for 8G's is 60,000 miles. I wouldn't recommend going past 110,000, though. You're going to bend every single one of your intake valves if it snaps.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    Recommended interval for 8G's is 60,000 miles. I wouldn't recommend going past 110,000, though. You're going to bend every single one of your intake valves if it snaps.
    And probably destroy a rod or two.

WarmAndSCSI
    You're not going destroy any rods... The valves will bend and fall back into their seats long before anything else goes wrong. You probably wouldn't even chip any pistons.

(This has happened to me before, just not because of a timing belt snap directly)

Thanks to all. I guess I was expecting what you said, but wanted confirmation.

OK, so I guess I should get it done ASAP.

How much does this typically cost?

WarmAndSCSI
    Price depends heavily on whether you have a 6G72 or a 4G64. That said, between $200 and $800 to do the water pump also.

I have a 4 cylinder

Why the difference with the water pump? Does it have to be removed or do you think it should be repalced along with the belt?

WarmAndSCSI
    The water pump will be $200 (dealer price) alone, the prices I posted are a rough estimate INCLUDING parts. So $800 would be on a 6G72 with a water pump replacement.

WarmAndSCSI,

Thanks for the info. Please help clarify.

Are you saying that the water pump HAS to be replaced when changing the belt?

OR

It SHOULD be replaced b/c of some other impending issues with Galant water pumps?

Myk

Water pump is usually changed while doing a timing belt because its right there when u have everything apart, its double work if u dont change it at the same time..

I just got all new belts and timing belt and water pump all done for $450. My friends mom had the parts off of her Galant and sold it before putting it on. I got lucky.

THANKS

To all who posted,

I truly appreciate your advice. Thanks to your info, I'll be replacing the timing belt and water pump. I'm probably looking at something in the neighborhood of $500.
    Again, thanks for the help.

Myk

Experienced TGC Member
    Hmm...i got 113K on my Galant and havent changed my spark plugs nor timing belt yet. :?

i recently had my belts replaced, as well as water pump, timing belt, tune up including new spark plugs ingnition wires etc, oil change, replace motor mount, remove door panel and remove black glue for just under 1 grand.
    2008 BMW M5 sapphire mettalic black
    2004 Cadillac Escalade awd
    1999 Galant Gtz
    2005 Saturn Vue

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Even on a V6 I didnt think it was that hard. The only problem was the chain wrench to hold the crank pully still so we could get the bolt out, that was when the car was an auto, not a problem now, manual ftw.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead
    Even on a V6 I didnt think it was that hard. The only problem was the chain wrench to hold the crank pully still so we could get the bolt out, that was when the car was an auto, not a problem now, manual ftw.
    You can use the starter trick to loosen the bolt on an auto or a manual. Just get the correct socket and breaker bar. Place the breaker bar on the crank bolt and against the suspension or the ground and flick the starter over. Make sure the CAS is unplugged before doing this. Voila, crankshaft bolt loosened!

Tightening it is the hard part...