The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: universal?

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    2003gtz

universal?

Sorry for the newbie questions but im still learning.I am looking at buying a set of 16'' rims and there 5 lug universal does this mean that they will fit on my 8g galant witch is 5x114.3. Also what are your thoughts on the motegi brand they are R7 white motegi's w/tires that have about 50%of tread left for $300 is this a good deal?

Experienced TGC Member
    Aint no such thing as a universal wheel I watched some asshole BMW customer learn that the hard way at work one day. Anyhow, the 8G only uses a 5x114.3. Stick to that size and youll be good 2 go.

*I dont think the Motegi MR7 wheels are even continued anymore. I didnt see them listed on the Motegi Racing site. Anyhow, white shouldnt look bad at all if your car is white too.

WarmAndSCSI
    "Universal"? Ummm... that would mean that it has patterns cut in it for two common 5-lug bolt patterns (5x100 and 5x114.3, maybe). You better check to make sure it has bolt holes for 5x114.3.

You double-posted this btw.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    my rims have the universal that your talking about, its just a 10 bolt pattern to fix like WarmAndSCSI said 5x100 and 5x114.3 but you should check to make sure they will fit on your car first, if your meeting up with the person check it while your there, thats what i did for mine, $300 for 50% tread is alright i guess, i mean the price is cheap enough that you could get new tires and still have a set for around $700 altho i dont like 16's bcuz they are too small for me and i think $700 is too high for 16's but check out these 205/55/16 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...6&startIndex=0

you can get the tires for $61 each, so thats not bad

WarmAndSCSI
    God, TireRack needs to learn how to store some of their query-string data in session :?

Sorry, just had to comment on that unnecessarily long URL.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    also 16" are stock size as well. you could probably upgrade to 17"/18" for not too much more.

WarmAndSCSI
    16" are only stock size for the LS and all V6s, Affe.

yea that url is huge lol

but i say get them, if you like them its up to you as for the deal, i could be a rich bitch and say yea $300 is nothing but to others its alot (well im not that but the point is made) so if you feel its a good deal so with the flow and if you end up needing new tires the link is there so a nice set of 16's all for 524ish not bad

lets just say this
    i bought my 18's rims only for 250 then got $500 set of tires (which were wrong size stupid shops) and one ended up being cracked, so i say your getting a good deal

Motegi wheels are great, I have a set of 19" Motegi's. I've sold several sets to customers of mine.

Also for the record the ONLY 5 lug bolt patterns Motegi ever made for those was 5x100 and 5x114.3.

Like Dave said Motegis are great
    I had a set of gunmetal mr7s
    and now I have black with polished lips dp10s

and like 6G72 said I believe Mr7s are discontinued as well
    I had a set that had a little badge on 1 spoke that said mr7 I cracked a wheel and tried to get a replacement and I found out that A) they werent making them in 18s anymore and B) they also changed the way the logo was. There was a 2nd set made that instead of having the badge on a spoke the Mr7 was etched into 1 of the spokes
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

2003gtz
    Thanks to all of you im going to buy them and i'll try to post a picture once there on.

cant wait, and like i said, if you need new tires use that link, youd be paying for that whole set + new tires around what i paid for my 18" tires alone lol

i dont like small rims, but they are safer from cracks with more tire and cheaper too

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    16" are only stock size for the LS and all V6s, Affe.
    and GTZ as well!!