The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Seized suspension bolts

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Seized suspension bolts

Hmmm, where should i begin? Recently i purchased new prothane bushing set, new tokico springs, new tokico struts, 19mm sway bars frt rr, and upper frt strut brace. I was so excited when i ordered the stuff, but that soon ended when i got half way through the project. I first started in the rear because i assumed it will be the worst since it doesn't have heat sources compared to the front. i had a few seized bolts but i just cut them off and burned out the bushings. Then i used an air chisel, big mallet to remove the sleeves. After that was done i reinstalled the rear and put antiseize on anything that has metal to metal contact.

once that was done. i proceeded to the front. Now i assumed since there was alot of engine heat the bolts would be easier to take off. Wrong!!!! The bolts are worst up here. I started by removing the strut/spring. I unscrewed the top three bolts. easy!!! then when i started to remove the bolt that is connected to the strut fork and control arm( i think). the nut came off but the bolt is still there. i used mallet, impact wrench and harsh words, but that bolt wont move. I need some suggestions before i cut the fork. I would try heat but it is so tight that i think it would damage the control arm, fork, and cv boot. I really need some help. This project is testing my patience and my love of cars.

one more question. what kind of torch is this and where should i buy it at?
    http://www.cosworthvega.com/Articles...adjusters.html

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Spray as much PB blaster on the seized bolts as you can. Go to home depot and get the yellow bottle torch...it has a higher heat range than the blue bottle. Heat it up for about 10-15 minutes and give it a good whack and see if the bolt slides out.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Highly recommend PB blaster. Auto parts stores have it as does walmart. It works where other stuff (wd40, etc) don't. White can with red, yellow and black writing on it.

If you really can't use heat for fear of damamaging other components then use the PB plaster repeatedly. Also try striking the offending bolt with serious hard blow from a hammer. If you can't get a good swing with the hammer use a punch to reach the bolt.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i have the same problem sometimes; it helps to move the fork around a little bit and shift the pressure on the bolt. sometimes i'll hit the shit out of something with every tool in the shop and it still won't break loose...then i'm just bleh when i twist or hit the component it's attached to and it just drops out.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

My tip, put a small bottle jack underneath the control arm and use it to take the pressure off the bolt. Once you do that it should come free with a small amount of persuasion.

222whp/250wtq