The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7g AWD Swap possible?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 33

7g AWD Swap possible?

I've been browsing threw the forums and couldn't find anything about doing a 7g AWD conversion or any information about who's done it. I am thinking about starting a new project. I want to start my own awd mitsu swap and I think a 7g awd project would be perfect. Now when a galant came into the shop I wasnt around but while on the lift my friend said the complete rear subframe was looked exactly like a 2g spyder rear subframe. Im going by his words because has a spyder himself that we also converted.

He as all the print outs and but I havent really had a chance to look it over and cross reference the parts over to each other. But I'm thinking this might be a pretty solid idea I might be trying out.

Also have any of you used the 1g harness instead of the 2g? Reasons I am asking is because I already have a fully built 1g awd dsm built for the 1/4 and I'm tuning via 1g dsmlink. Im pretty sure I'll be rewiring things to make everything work.

Now I'm not going to build this as another drag car but hopefully as a daily driver this time around which I regretted not doing to my 1g.

Experienced TGC Member
    Don't have time to list everything but in short it can be done. Search and you will find answers :smt002
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

jumpin on this one quick... if you want to do it bad enough, it's possible... i know that the 7g and the 2g are almost identical except for i think a 3" longer wheelbase... get the custom driveshaft and you should be just about good to go on the same as you would need to for a 2g. You say you have already had experience on an awd conversion. that alone gives you more knowledge on this particular subject than 99% of the others on this forum. i say if you want to do it and can afford it all and your car being down for a little while, please do not let anyone discourage you out of it. The most common reason for not trying this, is that nobody has seen it and it's probably a little less practical than just buying a gsx, but for many car enthusiasts practicality went out the window long ago anyways... If you would rather buy a gsx for an awd, thats great. But if you want a car that would be truly one of a kind, go for it.

And if you do it, take lots of pictures and maybe even write a tutorial on it. I know that many of the same ppl who would think you are crazy for attempting it would love to see it happen...
    Diamond Star Motors - Turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1989.

Yes it can be done. Not sure if anyone has used a 1g since the 2g is very similar to the 7g and makes for less custom work but i'm sure it can be done. Good luck and let us know what all you find out.

222whp/250wtq

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    2g GSX subframe will bolt up, just need to remove the stock subframe bolts(cut two holes) and use the GSX subframe bolts. I would use the stock rear driveshaft, weld in a carrier bearing, then see how the front driveshaft from a 6gvr4 lines up. If that doesnt work, you would just need a custom length front driveshaft. The 2g AWD trans will bolt into a 7g no problem.

The only real problem is the driveshaft tunnel(exhaust tunnel I guess) might not be big enough to accomodate both the driveshaft and the exhaust. So you could try stock exhaust with an exhaust cutout or stock exhaust with an o2 dump. If that all fails, you would just have to cut out the stock exhaust tunnel and make it wider.

It can be done, it will be done, its just a matter of time and money. Check out the 2g GSt -> GSX tutorial:

http://www.automotivearticles.com/AWD_Conversion.shtml
    7g for life!

Ill be using the 2g awd rear subframe for sure not the 1g. I was just wondering if anybody used the 1g engine harness as opposed to the 2g since i already have a 1g dsmlink. I would rather not sell my d-link and buy a 2g one.

Another note is I like the 7g look. And I dont have one yet. Just looking for information before I go out and buy one. This will be the motor going in it/when I do.

Pretty beast. You can use either harness, I personally would mod a 7g harness so I wouldnt have to rewire the fuse box in the engine bay. A 94-95 harness will be similar to a 1g harness at the ECU plugs(3 plugs) and also will already be OBDI. A 96-98 harness will be like a 2g harness as it has 4 ECU plugs and is already OBDII. So technically it would be easier to start with a 94-95 if you want to use a 1g ECU and OBDI.
    7g for life!

Thanks for the heads up for the info about the harnesses. I'm going to research this topic some more and come back when I actually get started. I already found a nice 7g for $600 with a blown trans and between me and my friends we have enough dsm parts to build a full running car. So this wouldnt cost me much and I'll be doing all the fabrication myself which shouldn't be much since the AWD Eclipse Spyder swap we did was cake.

Do it, take lots of pictures ;)

Where are you from?
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Do it, take lots of pictures ;)

Where are you from?
    x2 :twisted:

222whp/250wtq

Im from Philadelphia ,pa. I just need to get some funds together and buy the car before I can get started.

Laxinwarrior your sn looks familiar.. you on Tristate?

get ahold of triggermauve on here, he may be able to import you a 7G VR-4 driveshaft. If you can get ahold of an Evo I/II/III driveshaft I'm pretty sure it's similar size too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05
    Im from Philadelphia ,pa. I just need to get some funds together and buy the car before I can get started.

Laxinwarrior your sn looks familiar.. you on Tristate?
    Yeah man ... where are you in philly?

222whp/250wtq

i run the 1g ecu, and ds-map speed density engine management. i adapted my 94 GS harness to accept the 1g ecu.
    you literally have to label the wires and cut the connectors off the 7 harness. then do the same fr the 1g dsm harness(make sure you cut the connectors off with at least 6-10 inches of pigtail)
    then match everything up, and solder/heatshrink all 72 wires.

pain in the ass

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Well actually, are the connectors at all the same as a bewteen the 1g dsm and the 94-95? because I am actually using a galant eprom ecu(6g? or 7g?) with my d-link. If not then its not going to be a problem. Just wiring in a tach signal and knock signal isnt that bad either. The drive shaft woundn't be that hard to do. I can use the 2g's and extend with a spacer block at the rear of the shaft between the pumpkin. That way nothing should be off balance.

DOHCstunr,
    Hows ds-maps running for you? Are you burning chips or running the ostrich emulator? I looked into dsmap's speed density setup a while back but it looked pretty confusing with the 255 points of adjustment that you have to manually change. Looking at it reminded me of the time I used the EMS in my car and it was a complete headache(its my paper weight now) :mrgreen:

Laxinwarrior,
    Im from north philly right next to the northeast section. A few blocks away from the Boulevard actually.

WarmAndSCSI
    Wow, I'm excited to see this come together. 8)

Im not sure if you can run DsmLink off a Galant eprom ECU. Its never been done though, so nobody knows except for maybe Jeff-o at DSMChips. The 96-98 ECU connectors are the exact same as the 2g ECU connectors. I would assume the 94/95 connectors are the same as the 1g.
    7g for life!

Well I am currently using a galant eprom ecu with my dlink and its been working perfectly fine :mrgreen: . It must be the 6g ecu because it plugs right into my 1g harness.

I would assume it is a 6g VR4 ECU as well. If you post up the part number on the side casing, we can tell.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Im not sure if you can run DsmLink off a Galant eprom ECU. Its never been done though, so nobody knows except for maybe Jeff-o at DSMChips. The 96-98 ECU connectors are the exact same as the 2g ECU connectors. I would assume the 94/95 connectors are the same as the 1g.
    the conectors are not the same

totally different size/ shape.

thats why i literally had to cut 140 wires, and solder 72

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast