The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HIDS or headight resufacing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 25

HIDS or headight resufacing

I am trying to figure out what would be better to do. My headlights absolutely suck. I need to do something and i don't know what would be better to do. I see these headlights on ebay that claim that they are HID but they don't look like it the link for these lights is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-98...spagenameZWDVW
    I have seen the tutorial for the resurfacing and it seems like it makes an improvement but how much does it really improve?

WarmAndSCSI
    So you're trying to decide between resurfacing your headlight lenses or getting new bulbs? I thought the resurfacing involved very little cost up front. Why don't you do both?

And to answer your question, those are not HID's. Those are just regular old halogens tinted blue. Well, I guess they're filled with xenon, but for all intents and purposes, they are just like regular old halogens but have severely diminished output because of the color temperature.

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    Nah that link is just for regular headlight bulbs that simulate HIDs, so they aren't real HID setups. This is what I suggest... if you heads are really cloudy and yellow, definitely clear them up with some headlight restorer or resurface them, then get a real HID kit, I don't know what bulb the 7g uses, but if you want better visibilty, get a 4300k, 5000k, or 6000k kit. Those provide the best light output. I'll look around on ebay and find some links to some decent HID kits, I don't know your price range on improving your headlights, but I'll find something that's the best bang for your buck. Obviously the best brands would be Phillips, Hella, and McCulluch or however you spell it, but I'll post up a link or two in a few.
    ~Lady Driven~

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    those are still technically halogen bulbs. hids you would have to have a ballast and igniter and all. the bulbs you linked, you can just go to your car parts store and get those. hid kits will do a considerable ammount of difference in brightness and cost as low as around $100 shipped.

here is an example of the difference:

stock:

hids:

here is the link to the guy i got mine from on ebay.

clicky

and btw, my hids are 8000k

Well i fiigured that the lights i linked were not HIDs i know what HIDs look like. I jsut thought i read somewhere on here that you would have to change the headlight mount to upgrade to HIDs.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    there is a liquid application you can use for the heads to get all the crap off and make them clear again...obviously you want visibility so the best hid setup would be a 4300k to 6000k hid kit...and you can get a real setup on ebay for around $100 give or take...all the qualities are about the same at that price...try typing in whatever bulb the 7g uses and then hid kit when searching

for example for a stock 8g type in "h4 hid kit" and do a search but again... replace the h4 with whatever size the 7g uses

Quote Originally Posted by galantracer97
    Well i fiigured that the lights i linked were not HIDs i know what HIDs look like. I jsut thought i read somewhere on here that you would have to change the headlight mount to upgrade to HIDs.
    you have to change nothing. hid kits are plug and play. very easy to install. i did both sets of my hids with fixing one minor problem as well all within about 1.5 hours. but it only took that long because i took breaks because of getting cold since it was about 34 degrees outside when i did it.

The OEM bulb number for a 7g is 9006. So do the search as 9006 HID kit?

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    Here are more links, still not exactly sure of the bulb for 7g, but I think it's 9006

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-X...em170187417068

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-X...em190192272891

The last link is the kit on my car, I'm highly satisfied with it, ignites every time, I have mine in 6000k, which is white with a small hint of blue, but for better light output and visibility, 4300k is best. You'll see a lot of sellers selling this particular kit for a big range of prices, but if you can get the same product and warranty for cheaper, why not pay less?

Also look again on ebay, type in 9006 hid kits or whatever bulb size you have and you'll come up with a lot of results. But definitely do both, resurface/restore and a genuine hid kit.
    ~Lady Driven~

scratch x from meguires works great i used them on my accord and they are clear almost like new i highly recommend it if you need to clear your lights
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

i recommend you fix your headlights too. then worry about bulbs. cleaning the headlights up would improve the light output of your headlights, no matter what kinda bulbs you have in there.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

and here is the one from the ebay seller i got mine from but for the 7g

click

Just do both, I never used the Scratch X or whatever people use on their lenses. I chose the Wet sanding and buff with compound method. Free considering I have all the tools available and still shines like new after 2 years.

Clean the lens and upgrade your bulbs for the best of both worlds .
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Now i know this sounds stupid but my mother was telling me that my grandfather used to use toothpate to get out scratches does anyone know if this true.

The other thing is when you use Scratch X is that all you use? Or do you need to do anything else. Also anyone that used the Scratch X stuff have any before and after pics. I really need to do sumtin my headlights really blow

toothpaste might be all u need, the same with scratch-x it all really depends on how bad your headlights really are. the worser the are, the more abrasive you'll need.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

if tooth paste works, you'll have some minty fresh lenses

Jsut using an abrasive will jsut smooth out the scratch but it won't make the surface any clearer will it? or do i still need to hit it up with some of the plastic scratch polish

Sanding and polishing is the best way. you want to sand out the scratches and oxidation. Please do not use a drill like the previous owner of my car cause you will melt the plastic. i did mine in the summer i started out with a wet 400 grit and worked up to 1000 grit. took me about 3 hrs to get them how i wanted them, but after a while sence i did not use a polishing compound they oxidized again. so im going to have to do them again. When i do them this time im going to get the microfiber polish made by mequires to polish, hoping that it will help fill the pores.

Also with the HIDS they are a great investment for headlights, great visibility no matter the conditions. Ive had mine for a week now and love them I can actually see ware im going when it is snowing, the only hard part is finding a good place to mount the balist. the passenger side was easy im going to work on the driver side this weekend. if i get some time ill take some pics for you so you can see how they hook up. they are very simple.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

http://www.automedia.com/Polishing_P...cr20041101pp/2
    Click and read good article about head light polishing.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast