The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: wtf is this thing???

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    SMD

wtf is this thing???

so i'm taking my stock 1999 ES rear bumper off earlier today, and in the process i pull out out this weird air filter-looking thing with flaps on it which was loose(probbaly rattling around like crazy in my bumber too). since it was loose, i just pulled it out figuering it just added to the rattling from my subs. Anyway, does anyone know what this thing is? and what purpose does it serve?

pics below

put it back... period. Don't ask questions like this, don't you know mitsu is the god of all cars and if they put it there it must be for a reason. Why else would they waste their(your) money on putting that there if it had no real purpose. btw. don't use sprint mail. 8)
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

thats what allows the air in ur trunk to exit when u close ur trunk

^x2 never doubt any part the japs put in our car
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

SMD
    well, what about when you replac the OEM bumper with an aftermarket rear bumper (i'm pretty sure that peice is not included in moded bumpers),...so what then?? what purpose does it really serve then?

what is it? anyone

the piece fell off(apparantly it's spongie foam was glued to the panel but looks hard and rotton now) probbaly yeeeeears ago because it was just sitting at the bottom of the bumper and had dust like a muthaf.

It's like what everyone told you it is... it allows air to enter your car. Mine fell out along time ago and was causing alot of rattling so I just pulled it out too. Won't do you car any harm...

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

Thats where it used to be...

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

SMD
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet
    It's like what everyone told you it is... it allows air to enter your car. Mine fell out along time ago and was causing alot of rattling so I just pulled it out too. Won't do you car any harm...
    that exactly what i figuered.

SMD
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet

Thats where it used to be...

Yup

That thing is leaking water inside my trunk :x So if u remove it u should have a tiny pool to swim in after some raining :P

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Remove that and get ready for a lot of dust collection in your trunk. If you plan on adding speakers and amps, not a good idea to remove it. Couple of years ago, all of the sudden my trunk started to look like the back of a truck and couldn't figure out why, I even took it to the dealer and they showed me why. It's like a filter to air out the trunk yes but it's also to keep shit out.

vent

Its a vent when for air you turn on your recirculation button on , the air conditioner will start sucking air only in the cabin and all the flaps on the vent will close, Also when you remove it because of its location you will get alot of water in your trunk if you run over any large puddes.These type of vents are in other cars some in the door jams smaller too . 8)

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76
    Remove that and get ready for a lot of dust collection in your trunk. If you plan on adding speakers and amps, not a good idea to remove it. Couple of years ago, all of the sudden my trunk started to look like the back of a truck and couldn't figure out why, I even took it to the dealer and they showed me why. It's like a filter to air out the trunk yes but it's also to keep shit out.
    mine has done this since ive had it, i just stay off gravel!
    Nice to know that i can fix it!

the pocket that that thing is in fills up with water even though its still mounted. i have to take off my mudflap and the water poors out from the bottom bolt every now and then
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Quote Originally Posted by ThaShiZnitH
    That thing is leaking water inside my trunk :x So if u remove it u should have a tiny pool to swim in after some raining :P
    lol ready for swimming? lol