The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing belt replaced, now P0300

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    Experienced TGC Member

Timing belt replaced, now P0300

Ok yesterday i had my timing and serpentine belt replaced. After i left the shop, i noticed that the car idled a little rough when stopped and in Drive. At highway speeds, the car vibrates horribly [prolly due to my laziness in wanting to balance my left rear tire after fixing a flat]. I thought nothing of it. But this morning when i started up the car, my Service Engine Soon light came on. Took it to my job, and it was throwing a code P0300 [the infamous multi. cylinder misfire]. The mechanic told me that the mechanic who replaced the belt had prolly screwed up the timing. I couldnt get it fixed today because there is only one mechanic in the shop today. And the mechanic who fixed/broke mycar wont be in until tuesday. Is my car going to be fine until tuesday if i continue to drive with moderation? Will i be doing substancial damage by continuing to drive it? No highway speeds? Or should i just let it sit?

WarmAndSCSI
    Even 1 tooth off on the 6G72 can bend intake valves, so I would prepare for the worst. Your mechanic better pay for everything, but I would not drive the car whatsoever until then.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    Even 1 tooth off on the 6G72 can bend intake valves, so I would prepare for the worst. Your mechanic better pay for everything, but I would not drive the car whatsoever until then.
    Well i had the work done at my job [Goodyear]. I dont see why they wouldnt pay for everything. Hell, i paid for the work to be done. And its not as if I MYSELF did any of the work...sooo... :?

Anyhow, with one tooth off, wouldnt the car stop running? Mines still runs fine, its just that the idle is pretty rough and the SES light is on. So im hoping for the best right now. If there was some significant damage done, wouldnt the car not run? :?

Go figure, i had the belt replaced in the hopes of preventing some shit like this :evil:

EDIT:

I checked the OBD Code website, and it says that...

Random misfires that jump around from one cylinder to another (read: P030x codes) also will set a P0300 code. The underlying cause is often a lean fuel condition, which may be due to a vacuum leak in the intake manifold or unmetered air getting past the airflow sensor, or an EGR valve that is stuck open.
    ...friday while at Advanced Auto, i picked up some of the Champion fuel system cleaner and added it to my full tank of gas. It ran fine friday, and saturday. Would that have anything to do with it? [im trying to be as optimistic as possible :( ]

WarmAndSCSI
    The car will run with 1 tooth off, but like complete ass. Depending on whether it's off on the back head, front head, or at the crank... you automatically throw off ignition and fuel timing by having a discrepancy between the crank timing mark and the rear head since the Cam Angle Sensor (fuel timing) and distributor are back there.

timing

try disconnecting the battery for 15-30 minutes he probally did not do that 8)Dont drive it you could do more damage or if its your only car drive it then make them pay for all the repairs whrn the mechanis comes to work

WarmAndSCSI

Re: timing

Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer
    try disconnecting the battery for 15-30 minutes he probally did not do that 8)
    This is mostly a quick fix for a poor idle... the car would definitely not be vibrating or running that poorly if it were just the ECU's fuel trims or idle adjustment map being off. It's won't hurt anything to try, however.

Experienced TGC Member

Re: timing

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer
    try disconnecting the battery for 15-30 minutes he probally did not do that 8)
    This is mostly a quick fix for a poor idle... the car would definitely not be vibrating or running that poorly if it were just the ECU's fuel trims or idle adjustment map being off. It's won't hurt anything to try, however.
    Ill give that a try in the morning. Right now im just too pissed to do any of that shit :evil: Im really hoping my job fixes all this shit for free. Because id hate to have to take them to court. I still have $6400 left to pay off this damn car. And i really dont want to have to buy a new engine. :x

Experienced TGC Member
    Ok my car is going into the shop again tomorrow morning. After they fix the belt, how will i be able to know if my valves or any other internals were damaged? Will my SES light continue to stay on? Is there some kinda diagnostic test they can run to check for damaged internals? If they tell me i need to replace the engine....ive been pondering a couple of ideas :twisted:

Rastus
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant
    ...friday while at Advanced Auto, i picked up some of the Champion fuel system cleaner and added it to my full tank of gas. It ran fine friday, and saturday. Would that have anything to do with it? [im trying to be as optimistic as possible :( ]
    If it ran fine Friday and Saturday, it's not the timing belt. It wouldn't have fixed itself. I wonder if he screwed up the crank position sensor. It has another code, but a slight problem with it would surely cause misfires.

yes you crank sensor can do that also one of your coils could be bad and throw a code too :mrgreen:

Experienced TGC Member
    Forgot to update. Problem was fixed. According to the mechanic, the timing belt had jumped a tooth. When the mechanic tried to retighten the crank tensioner, i guess thats when it jumped a tooth. Anywho, problem was fixed tuesday. Runs perfectly. Next ill be doing spark plugs for my upcoming road trip!

Rastus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastus
    If it ran fine Friday and Saturday, it's not the timing belt...
    I stand corrected.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant
    Forgot to update. Problem was fixed. According to the mechanic, the timing belt had jumped a tooth. When the mechanic tried to retighten the crank tensioner, i guess thats when it jumped a tooth. Anywho, problem was fixed tuesday. Runs perfectly. Next ill be doing spark plugs for my upcoming road trip!
    Did this "mechanic" do a compression test after jumping a tooth on the timing belt? I sure hope he used a new belt if the other one jumped under tension.

So you were driving around with 1 tooth off? I certainly hope the mechanic did a compression or leak down test when you came back for him to fix it.

Rastus
    I wondered if one tooth was enough to cause contact.

i have the same problem but my ses light came on after i changed the TB it does idle i lil rough
    i checked the spark plugs and wires and bought the same thing for the fuel system cleaner
    tomorrow going to check the TB and Fuel rail/injectors
    any idea what can cause the P0300 and i didnt change the timing belt
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................