The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Sound randomly cuts in and out through speakers

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar

Sound randomly cuts in and out through speakers

This problem arised about 2 weeks ago where sound cuts in and out randomly. I tried 3 different headunits including the stock headunit and the same thing happens to all 3 of them. When there is no sound continuously coming from the speakers there is a very short ringing sound when you turn on the headunit from the speakers that lasts about 1 second and of course no sound.

I am assuming there is a connection problem so i checked and rechecked all the connections from the headunit ground, and the adapter harness to the stock harness plug. When I run over small or larger bumps sometimes, there will be sound, then if I hit another bump it will cut out again.

Has anyone run into this problem? :?

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

check the connections to the speakers too! I have a stock one in the dash where the connector is loose and it sometimes falls off. So check the speakers as well as the head unit

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

I checked the connections for the speakers from the headunit adapter harness. When the sound cuts out...its all 6 speakers, not just certain ones.

I know very little about sound systems, but it sounds like for some reason there is just 1 wire that shorts out or loses some type of contact when shaken. If anyone has a wiring diagram for the stock radio, that may help. Otherwise I'm lost as to what connection is in common between all the speakers that's not the power or ground.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

is it for the radio and cd?
    and have you checked the fuses on the wires... if there is any

since it does it with either head unit it's definately a wire, i'm gonna say a ground. track the wires in the back down and see if they rubbed against anything and are exposed anywhere.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

I had this problem not to long ago. it was a ground connection problem. run a direct ground and see if the problem stops. As we all know the head unit grounds through the dash and its not a very tight fit. Just try that and see what happens.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

is it for the radio and cd?
    and have you checked the fuses on the wires
    It doesn't matter what mode the headunit is in. I have checked the wire connections from the headunit harness and adapter harness to the stock harness and they are all secure. I checked all the fuses and non of them are blown.

I had this problem not to long ago. it was a ground connection problem. run a direct ground and see if the problem stops. As we all know the head unit grounds through the dash and its not a very tight fit. Just try that and see what happens
    There is a ground wire from the head unit already.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the speakers? Looks like I will have to trace the wiring. Where is the ground located for all the speakers?

wat year galant do you have? cause mine just grounds through the dash.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

96 Galant.

aftermarket headunits do not have ground speaker wire. Both wires have signal so do not try to find it. How does it cut--when you put the volume up or just randomly at the same volume level. If it cuts when you pump it then you have bad positive or ground wire, although you say that its already hooked up correctly you need thick wires for these two. You can check it by running two thick wires straight from the battery to the headunit, but unhook the old ones. If it cuts randomly then you should look for short connection on the speakers. It usually does that if you have loose speaker and one of the wires makes contact with the metal/body/ then this triggers the protection mode of the headunit and you wont hear anything untill you go thru another hole which eventually would move the speaker and break the short.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

It cuts off randomly at the same volume level...it doesn't cut out if I increase or decrease the volume level.

If I do have 1 speaker shorting...all the speakers will cut in and out?

yes, thats the protection mode-it will cut out all of them

Build Thread

One bad speaker will turn off all the speakers in the car.

yes if the coil is off-center and scrapes on the magnet. the protective enamel peels off and causes a short

Build Thread

Interesting...sorry if I sound ignorant, car audio diagnosing is new to me. Since you suggested that may be the problem, i have a idea which speaker could be causing the problem.

Problem fixed. The dash speaker on the drivers side was the problem. The positive wire somehow got loose. Thanks you for the suggestions!

Oh, I was gonna say that it might be water damage. I had this happen to me, the sound would just cut out, but it would still have sound coming from the two speakers up front. It would just be extremely quiet. My problem, the door seal was bad and water dripped onto my front speakers. I had to buy new ones but this time I made a ghetto bag with duck tape to protect those babies. Good thing you fixed it though! :)