The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Here's a good one.

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    Roba2162

Here's a good one.

Okie I'll try not to sound like too much of a newbie. I've got a 97 es. At idle it's supposd to be about 700 rpm's +/- 100. But when I turn on the lights and stereo (400 watt alpine) the rpm's dip to about 400-500. Is this normal?

Not to sound too retarded but does anyone else notice a feeling of lost power when driving at highway speed with the a/c on almost like you let your foot off the gas a bit?

Thanks for the help!

Oli97GalantES
    I have an 800 watt rms system and my rpms aren't that low. I am currently at 700. When I first installed my CAI, my rpms dropped pretty low for the first week until my computer figured it out.

Could be your battery/alternator going? If not, you should be ok as long as the car doesn't shutoff.

As for the AC, I notice the same thing too at highway speeds. The problem became less noticeable after I had my AC serviced by the dealer a week ago.

your idle problem is nothing more than a dirty throttle plate.. quite a common problem on all mitsus, and in fact most cars built by most manufacturers.
    Clean it thoroughly with a quality solvent, but DONT use any type of abrasive pad... a can of "carb cleaner" works fine by just blasting the throttle plate.

and your A/C robs anywhere from 15 to 25 horsepower from your engine to operate, so it is quite normal to feel a loss of power when its on. Its just really noticable on your galant due to the fact that its only got 130 to 140 horsepower to begin with.

smonijhay

Re: Here's a good one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roba2162)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Not to sound too retarded but does anyone else notice a feeling of lost power when driving at highway speed with the a/c on almost like you let your foot off the gas a bit?

Thanks for the help!</div>

When you hop back on the freeway, right when you are ready to floor it, turn off the a/c so you can feel the difference in HP with it on and off.

Roba2162

Working on it.

Mitsu thanks for the help on testing the alternator! It's really cool that there are people on this board who will abviously invest a lot of time into helping out those who don't know as much yet. Check the amps and the alternator. Both exactly where you said they'd be! I bought new plugs, filter, and pvc filter. I'm going to install them tomorrow. Thanks again/

Tazz2000
    I know I didn't reply in this post, but I replied in another post that had to do with sound systems and RPMs and power.

but...

Anytime, That's what we're here for. :thumbsup:

HELLO!! its got nothing to do with the alternator...

the output of the alternator in no way effects the idle, unless its completely failed, at which time the car will not run at all.
    the fact is that if the idle drops with electrical load proves almost entirely that the alternator is most definatly doing its job.
    its the job of the ECM to keep the idle up to snuff.

Roba2162

Thanks!

Thanks to all for their help. Changed the plugs, pvc, and air filter. Cleaned the tb. Runs like a charm. Thanks for saving me on a new alternator or worse.

MitsuMan
    Glad to help :thumbsup: