The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: whistling noise at speed above 45

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

whistling noise at speed above 45

my car is makeing a very annoying whistling noise on the highway. I've been aware of this noise since 2006. I've having this noise for two years and nothing wrong with my car except the valve tick noise.
    whenever I drive on the highway or drive at speed above 45 , I hear the whistling noise, like someone is whistling at you softly. It gets louder at higher speed and gone when I lift my foot off the gas. (I guess it's not from the wheel bearing.) It comes from the engine bay, I'm sure of that.

Any one know how can I find out? What kind of components can make this sort of noise, like some one is continuously whistling at U.
    list of my guess:
    1. the valves, lifters, for they make noise at low speed?
    2.can be the altnater, cuz i just changed my battery today(it finally resigned after 5yr of service)?
    3. the main bearing,lol?
    4. some thing in the fuel system, like the fuel rail( I can tell a noise different from the valve tick near either ingector or fuel rail when cold Idling)
    5. Air intake, or intake manifold leak?
    6.throttle, for the noise gone immediately if i let go of the gas?
    7 a BOV looking part mounted on the throttle, very Suspicious, because i noticed it several times that when I turn on the ignition just before start, I hear ths thing makes some funny electric noises.
    8. tranny, because the noise comes out at high speed, so it might be the 4th gear?
    9.a bad belt( I get 75k miles on my car w/o any belts changed)?

conclusion: It must made by a moving part!!!

Too many possible noisy components, haha. Just try to make it run better. Help words plz~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    03 ES I-4 stock
    project done:
    Self Tinted
    Self tranny fluid changed
    Self oil change
    Next protject: Timing belt change

im confused. you said it comes during higher speeds and is gone when you lift off the gas.

now is the problem related more to the vehicle speed or the engine speed?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

exhaust manifold leak???
    Fully Built 4G63
    HKS 272
    ported Dual Ball Bearing FP RED 84mm 25psi w/ external dump

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    my Injen intake does that too, u have an aftermarket intake?

im calling a windshield leak someware. or a door gasket. i like to start out with the easiest problem to fix and check first.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2
    my Injen intake does that too, u have an aftermarket intake?
    no, all things under hood is stock
    03 ES I-4 stock
    project done:
    Self Tinted
    Self oil change

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3
    tires?
    it could be it, but how to explain it, when I lift off gas, the noise is gone
    03 ES I-4 stock
    project done:
    Self Tinted
    Self oil change

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    im confused. you said it comes during higher speeds and is gone when you lift off the gas.

now is the problem related more to the vehicle speed or the engine speed?
    I don't hear the noise at idle, even i rev the engine very hard, and I don't hear it when accelerating hard below 35. So I guess it's related more to the vehicle speed, or tranny. Could that be the ball joint? or something need to lubricate?
    03 ES I-4 stock
    project done:
    Self Tinted
    Self oil change

Quote Originally Posted by whokilledhoughes
    exhaust manifold leak???
    I was thinkin about the intake manifold, but how can I tell if the header leaks? Maybe I should take off the cover and look for cracks? I don't smell exhaust gas.
    03 ES I-4 stock
    project done:
    Self Tinted
    Self oil change

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m
    im calling a windshield leak someware. or a door gasket. i like to start out with the easiest problem to fix and check first.
    Thanks, bro. U give me a idea. The noise could be either made of whistling air or a metal-to-metal contact. More, I guess is the air, just like u whistle.

I don't think it's made of the car's body, cuz it react with the gas. So It can be the intake, throttle, or intake manifold, or even the header. I will check it tomorrow. Thanks you all.
    03 ES I-4 stock
    project done:
    Self Tinted
    Self oil change

the only reason i say that is cause i got the same sound. here is a vid that i took and you can hear the whistle that you are talking about lol. keep in mind i have really nothing done to my car that is why it is slow. fast forwad to about 20 sec and you will hear the whistle when i take off. lol its comming from my drivers door cause there is a little tare in the gasket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLMTKypNLc4

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m
    the only reason i say that is cause i got the same sound. here is a vid that i took and you can hear the whistle that you are talking about lol. keep in mind i have really nothing done to my car that is why it is slow. fast forwad to about 20 sec and you will hear the whistle when i take off. lol its comming from my drivers door cause there is a little tare in the gasket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLMTKypNLc4
    bro, I watched the vid, I don't hear any noise sounds even close to mine. Ur car sounds very srtonge, very good. Mine noise is like someone is whistling constantly at very high peech. thanks for help anyway.
    03 ES I-4 stock
    project done:
    Self Tinted
    Self oil change

Mine does the same same exact noise! I never really payed much attention to it though. Doesn't bug me too much and I'm not having any problems with my car. It's wierd isn't it? You take off then when you get to around 30-40mph it whistles and immediately when you take our foot off the gas it goes away!

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    maybe you got turbo somewhere.

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    My car whistles sometimes above 40 mph, I've come to find out that a window on the passenger side was slightly cracked
    ~Lady Driven~

Quote Originally Posted by milo111000 View Post
    maybe you got turbo somewhere.
    That would be cool! Except thats a crappy turbo! :D