The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Automatic and Cruise control

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Automatic and Cruise control

I have some questions. In the near future , i want to boost my galant. but before that, i have to address the transmission. I have an auto and i like it. I been all through this site and came to the conclusion that manual is the way to go if you want to boost it. I really dont want to lose my crusie control.

1. Is there a way to keep auto,cruise control,boosted and reliability?

2. If i chose to go manual, can i keep cruise control?

3. Which one would be most cost effective ?

WarmAndSCSI
    1.) Yes, build up the automatic. Specifically, a shift kit (valve body rework or upgraded shift solenoids), stronger torque converter, and possibly a better set of clutch packs (at least the end clutch since it is notoriously weak).

2.) You would need a toggle to set the shift position sensor at the correct value. Cruise control will not work in neutral, which is what you hard-wire when you do the manual swap (at least this is how it is on my 8G).

3.) Learning how to keep your foot steady.

You can boost with the auto tranny you just get more turbo lag than with a manual. Plus you'll enjoy driving the car so much more when you do 5-speed swap.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxmike
    You can boost with the auto tranny you just get more turbo lag than with a manual. Plus you'll enjoy driving the car so much more when you do 5-speed swap.
    NUFF Said!!

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxmike
    NUFF Said!!
    Sure ... except that turbo lag has absolutely nothing to do with the transmission.

222whp/250wtq

"learn to keep your foot steady...

so while i look at that and see it isnt amazingly funny, that just caught me off gaurd and couldnt stop laughing...

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

If you keep the auto, get the bestest baddest ass transmission pump you can, they are an extreme weak link in the trans, I've blown two of them in very short order.

A manual would be far more cost effective, they tend to break other things, or shred tires. I always hear about people even blowing out built auto's, they are weak, and unless you can afford to rebuild them somewhat regularly, they will be a headache.

Now, an auto is going to launch better and be much more managable than a manual, but there is a price.

An auto will have less lag from a dig BTW.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    honestly, the only advantage to having an auto is the great pull from off the line. also, the turbo doesn't drop boost between shifts, and autos shift consistently faster than humans....generally. i know for a fact the 7g auto stock trans shifts pretty slow, and it's very easy to outshift it with a manual. if this was a BMW M3 forum for example, then the automatic is superior in almost every way for performance applications. the new porsche 911 turbo is actually faster in auto form than manual.

let's say you spend the hundreds and hundreds of dollars building the auto, the 7G autos are just NOT GOOD. from the level10 shift kits to the guys who dump thousands into it, they all blow at some point or another. of course, the manual can and will blow also. but if we compare track records of the two the manual is good and the auto is like relying on contact lenses to protect your eyes in a sandstorm. also, you can send the manual to shep and for $900 get the level1 tranny upgrade which has amazing performance and value, as dozens upon dozens of tuners are extremely satisfied and push 500+hp through it all day. then there's level 2...more....yadda yadda.

of course, swapping in a manual would probably cost just as much as building the auto. too bad teh manual is about 10x as much fun to drive, the gearing is far superior in a manual, and the auto weighs about 35lbs more. screw that. i love having the ability to break the tranny from the engine (clutch) at any moment, for rev matching, shifting ahead of time, building rpms/boost without affecting the speed of the car, etc etc.

if it's money you're worried about, you could build the auto up, and then have to spend about the same amount of money repairing it when it craps out on you.

as for the cruise control, why not pioneer a fix? significant headway has been made, as we continue to guess weather or no it's the ECU or TCU that is the inhibiting factor for cruise control after the auto to 5spd swap. i used to think it was the switch on the brake pedal bracket under the dash, 2pin vs 4pins, but i'm pretty sure we've ruled that out now.
    Last edited by peanotation; 05-17-2008 at 02:15 PM
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

i am thinking about doing the same thing with my galant and i will most likely keep it auto for the rest of the time i keep the car or when i upgrade and get a different car.but is there any auto trans from a different car that will be able to withstand the boost and fit good on the car without any fab work??if i do boost it i am thinking of boosting it with a stock turbo from an eclipse...thanks...

WANNA LOOK FRESH????
    GET SOME CLOTHES AT KARMALOOP.COM AND GET 20% ON FIRST PURCHASE WHEN USING REPCODE:KN21899

siniGANG represent!

Quote Originally Posted by bignasty View Post
    Would this work for the cruise fix?

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/1g-n...nual-swap.html
    Interesting! Too bad I dont know where the inhibitor switch on the auto tranny. Ill try it when I do the 5 spd swap next month
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread