The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: shift cable

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

shift cable

I still have the automatic tranny but my shift cable is broken and sometimes wont go fully into park. Mechanics at my job say it is a 12 hour job to fix it because they say i have to take my whole dash out including air bags, heater core, just the entire dash down to the reinforcement bar behind it all. however the alldata program that they use says its a 4.6 hour job and only the bottom half of the dash needs to be removed. Goosey2099 says it takes 15 mins to do. Can anybody tell me how to really fix this?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Its so easy its cake.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Yeah, the shifter cable goes through the firewall way at the bottom, but you don't have to take out the whole friggin dash or anything else. However,it is a real pain in the ass to get out without doing so, especially if you have sasquatch hands. I agree with Goosey2099 that is could take 15 mins, but it took me a good hour and a scraped up and cramped hand trying to get at the two bolts.

Do the I4 and V6 use the same shifter? I've got mine still intact if you need it.

Experienced TGC Member
    OHHH.. Man that was the hardest part of doing the 5 speed swap. I got so pissed at my auto cables i cut them bitches with bolt cutters.. LOL.. But its 2 10 or 12 mm bolts inside the car.. What you do is.. Remove the kick panel on the passenger side... Look up in there by the ecu wires and harness and shit. You will see 2 thick cables that have 2 bolts holding them in the one closest to the passenger side isnt so hard to get to.. But the other side is a royal bitch.. and you have to make sure to be very careful in that area because you wouldnt want to unpin one of your wires from your ecu... But..thats it.. Pull them through.. Route them the same way they were before you messed with them. And as far as i know you cant replace just one cable you have to replace both.. But dont quote me on that..... Anyways.. good luck.. And if it takes you 12 hours.. Youre doing something wrong.. What i would say to do is cut the old ones in the bay that way you dont have to struggle with them because you have to feed all of it in through the inside of the car...

thanks for the help. hopefully i will be able to get the new one in tomorrow, without removing my whole dash or my heater core or anything else of that nature.