The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Pulleys

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Pulleys

Anyone know what pulley application to get and how would help wit performance or gas mileage?

WarmAndSCSI
    Nope, don't know. No it won't help with performance, and no, definitely not any mileage improvements. Think about a lightweight/smaller alternator or power steering pulley relative to the mass of your entire drivetrain (transmission, torque converter, crankshaft, pistons, rods, wheels, hubs, axles, crankshaft pulley). You'll see maybe 1 hp gained... You're definitely better off spending your money elsewhere :)
    Last edited by WarmAndSCSI; 02-09-2008 at 11:18 AM

Harmonic Balancer/Underdrive Pulley ?

My Harmonic balancer/Underdrive pulley has craped out on me again. Iam getting wicked vibration at 3000rpm to 4.5000rpm. Iam not going to delete the harmonic balancer but would like to know if anyone has tried the solid undrive pulley from ebay?

ex: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNDER...2em118Q2el1247

It dosen't have the rubber in it like the factory pulley so I was thinking of going with this one instead... any sugestions appeciated....
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Unorthodox make a pulley set for the turbo eclipse. This should also wwork for the 7g as well. My harmonic balancer just went out again and iam looking into some different options... Check it out...
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=27771

i read a technical article a while back posted by clay on galantspeed.
    about weight reductions and their effect besed on where they come from.

saying that weight taken from the chassis equates to this much power to weight gain which increases static hp.
    and taking weight fromm the wheels beit from brakes or light wheels equivelates to X% gain in power form less drivetrain loss,
    and then taking weight from the rotating assembly will gain you X% gain in power
    yada yada yada

from what i remember, weight from the rotating assemly was a much higher percent/ ratio
    than from wheels weight or chassis weight.

of course thats obvious,
    but even shaving a few grams fromm the rotating assembly has a positive effect on performance.

What matters most is where the weight is taken from.
    taking a lb from the piston/ rod assembly, will yeild much more power than taking 1lb from the crank pulley,

so regardless of the gain you get from HP, you will rev faster.
    your throttle will be lighter,
    just as it would with a lightened flywheel.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

WarmAndSCSI
    This is absolutely true and I've had heated debates over this very issue before, but when I say "no performance," I mean it would be negligible.

lmao warm, you did a 360 after 1 post.

Actually all he is saying is that the theory is absolutely correct; however, in practice the amount of power seen is quite negligible. Not to mention the fact that it is not a smart idea to remove the harmonic balancer from any street motor.

222whp/250wtq

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by dknight3 View Post
    lmao warm, you did a 360 after 1 post.
    Exactly, I did a 360 and now I'm back to exactly where I was before.

yeah i didn't dyno before or after i installed a cheap 30$ ebay pulley on my 6 bolt 4g63t

if i gained even 10 hp....... thats such a rediculously miniscule amount of power for a boosted engine.
    i mean... i can run 1/10th of an a/f leaner and make that power.
    or run 1lb of boost more.
    or add more timing

or a lot of FREE things. to get that power.

BUT,
    n/a guys.... would kill for 10hp.
    or even 5.
    so its one of those..... "i've exhausted every other option" mod's that you do when ANY other option is a 400$ set of cams, or radical machine work like shaving yoru head, or installing ITB's or gutting yoru chassis.

For the record. I've had a cheap unbalanced ebay underdrive pulley on my car for.... 4 years. driven every single day.
    no problems.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

^^^ Thats what iam talking about... I just want a pulley that will last longer than oem and have the same smooth acceleration with smooth idle...Plus the oem costs close to 90 bucks...

DOHC Does the ebay pulley add any extra vibration or does it operate like oem plus the minuscule added 1hp :)

no vibration.

the factory pulley doesn't cancel vibration.
    its there as a tortional damper.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    There has been arguments on whether the solid crank pulleys are "healthy" for the crankshafts.

The rubber insulation is there to absorb most of the vibrations created with everything going on when a motor is running. Less stress on the everything associated with the crankshaft.

The benefit of a CNC machined lightened crank pulley is less rotating mass so the motor has a easier time rotating the pulleys.

I have read several DSM threads about those that recommend it and those that oppose it. There have been people that have run the pulleys on their "track" cars, but haven't confirmed many running on their daily drivers, so...that kinda makes me feel iffy. I believe Buschur or Magnus sells a lighter underdrive pulley with the rubber insulation similar to the OEM one but of course ...lighter, BUT it retails in the $300 range.

I personally think the rubber insulation is there for a reason..so i stick with the OEM one. If yours keeps failing, there might be something else that might be causing it to fail. Do you have any oil leaks that the pulley might be exposed to..oil will break down rubber. Are you buying them brand new or used?

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Well, I have only replaced it once before and that was about 4 or 5 years ago, so I've got my money worth out of it...

The oil leaks I have in the fornt seal area has no doubt affected the deteriation of the crankshaft pulley however when I change this pulley, I hope to find the source's of the oil leak... Just wanted to know if the cnc one form ebay would cause damage or my vibration...

haven't decided yet but hope to work on this in a few weeks...

merged similar thread into this one.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo