The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Vibrating in rear

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    michalsstwin

Vibrating in rear

I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant 2.4L.
    While I’m driving I hear a repeating vibrating noise coming from the rear.
    I thought it was one of the rims but they aren’t bent.
    I’m thinking the hub or bearing.
    Has anyone else had this problem? Or know what the problem is?

are the wheels balanced? are they on there correctly, with the right lug nuts and torqued to spec?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

how is the tread on your rear tires? i had a bad rear tire and it caused a nasty vibration i was scared to go faster that 50 cuz it wuld get really loud and i wuld feel it in the steering...new tire fixed that

if it gets faster as the car goes faster, its definantly the hub. my car was doing that after filling it up with people one crazy night and it turned out the hub went bad, i replaced it with a used one from my rear disc swap and the whole thing went away
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

michalsstwin
    yeah, took them to the shop to get done.

michalsstwin
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    are the wheels balanced? are they on there correctly, with the right lug nuts and torqued to spec?
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestar22 View Post
    if it gets faster as the car goes faster, its definantly the hub. my car was doing that after filling it up with people one crazy night and it turned out the hub went bad, i replaced it with a used one from my rear disc swap and the whole thing went away
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomo2117 View Post
    how is the tread on your rear tires? i had a bad rear tire and it caused a nasty vibration i was scared to go faster that 50 cuz it wuld get really loud and i wuld feel it in the steering...new tire fixed that
    Yeah i took them to the shop..

That sound about right. When i drive faster it does pick up. But its not loud at all.

The tread is good. but its done this with new and old tires.

Rastus
    When I first got my '02, it kept making an awful moaning sound in the rear. I loosened and re-tightened the lug nuts, making sure to cross-tighten to the right torque spec, and the noise went away. I guess the mis-tightened/over-tightened lugs were warping the rotor and making it drag on the brake pads. It's been fine ever since.