The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: struts replacement

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

struts replacement

does anyone knows how difficult it is to replace front struts on 2000 galant 4 cyl?

does that involve removing the bumper?
    how long would it take a mechanic if i bring my car to get it done?trying not to get ripped off with labor fees.

thanks

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Depends on the mechanic. I can replace front struts from start to finish in 1 hour or less. At a shop though, they will take their time to make money. The front bumper does not get removed.

front and rear struts I can have done in 45 min,

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    not very difficult to do yourself...a shop should be no more then $200 to swap the springs over or new ones and bolt them on

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted View Post
    front and rear struts I can have done in 45 min,
    Is that for a complete job? like removing springs and installing them on a new strut/shock?? Were not talking about just show up and take out 3 nuts at the top 2 bottom and brake line and that it. We are talking about complete, disassembly and reassembly including back seat. 45 minutes huh??
    Last edited by RAZ_76; 02-11-2008 at 12:31 AM

at a good shop. labor fees aren't based on how long it takes a specific person to do the job. its based on difficulty and the "book" this way the rates are kept sort of fair. it might take denver 45 mins to do while it might take another a few hours. so the time on labor should be in the book.

but yea, a good shop with air tools and even a powered spring compressor should have it done in no time.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Is that for a complete job? like removing springs and installing them on a new strut/shock?? Were not talking about just show up and take out 3 nuts at the top 2 bottom and brake line and that it. We are talking about complete, disassembly and reassembly including back seat. 45 minutes huh??
    Mcpherson struts are simple to replace....unlike the multilink type like the 7g which is a bit more time consuming. 45 mins is not farfetched...the only hard part is removing the spring from the strut and reinstalling it, but with a good tool its a breeze.

I can personally replace both front mcpherson struts within a hour. My spring removing tool isn't hightech.

The ball park mechanics labor rate is around $90 an hour..but depending on the shop you take it too, it could be cheaper or more expensive. I if they charge you more than $150 just to put the struts on..its a rip off IMO.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    Mcpherson struts are simple to replace....unlike the multilink type like the 7g which is a bit more time consuming. 45 mins is not farfetched...the only hard part is removing the spring from the strut and reinstalling it, but with a good tool its a breeze.

I can personally replace both front mcpherson struts within a hour. My spring removing tool isn't hightech.

The ball park mechanics labor rate is around $90 an hour..but depending on the shop you take it too, it could be cheaper or more expensive. I if they charge you more than $150 just to put the struts on..its a rip off IMO.
    I was talking about complete disassembly and assembly front and rear and not just to remove the suspension assembly, I'm talking about everything from the time the car goes up to the time it comes down . 45 minutes?? I don't think so, I've been replacing suspension for 13 years and I'm sorry but no way. Maybe the front, yes!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    I didn't completely read Denvers post. I agree though...45 mins for front and rear with completely disassemble and reassemble is bit off. For me...it would take close to 2 hours.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by willieB View Post
    does anyone knows how difficult it is to replace front struts on 2000 galant 4 cyl?

does that involve removing the bumper?
    how long would it take a mechanic if i bring my car to get it done?trying not to get ripped off with labor fees.

thanks
    i say do it yourself if you have the tools, you will learn a lot more about your car and know whats going on if something goes wrong. but if you just dont have the tools and dont want to be bothered then they shouldnt charge you over $200 because a performance shop quoted me on that a while back before I started doing it all myself
    takes me about an hour to take everything apart and back together and into my car for my front struts as well.
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

i got to do mine this spring anyone wanna help me?
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    x2
    03 I4

Rastus
    x3