The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Beating a dead horse on the manual trans swap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 29

Beating a dead horse on the manual trans swap

Hi,
    I know we have beat this topic to death years ago, but it seems that most people doing these swaps say that you need a 01-04(ish) Eclipse Manual transmission. Is there any issue with using a 2000 model? I have to assume they are the same, anybody want to give a bit of clarification? Oh, and I have a 2000 Galant 2.4L.
    Thanks again.
    -Jeremy
    1964 Impala Convertible
    1989 Dodge Ram 50 w/ Turbo 4G63
    2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
    2006 Subaru Legacy GT
    My Car Blog

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Welcome!

Yes you can!

Good enough for me. Thanks a bunch! Once I do the 5 speed swap (hopefully in the next month or so), I will post up some pics and info, because the more pics we have, the easier the swap will be for other people. :)
    Thanks again!
    -Jeremy
    1964 Impala Convertible
    2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
    2006 Subaru Legacy GT
    My Car Blog

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    2000-2005 actually, small differences between but they will bolt up the same.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Post pics of the Max, I hear about people running killer 1/8th miles with them.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Thanks guys, and here is a pic of the 4g63 mightymax for 6G72gearhead. Sadly, I don't know what it runs in the 1/8 or 1/4 mile, but I can tell you that it is an absolute blast to drive. Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd with the pedal buried is pretty much as fun as it gets. It gets sideways at about 35mph. I just can't imagine a more fun vehicle to drive, though I am sure I could build one if I had a garage and no budget. :)

You can see my whole build on my website
    http://www.hotrodcoffeeshop.com/foru...er=asc&start=0

Last edited by 4g63mightymax; 02-16-2008 at 01:57 PM
    1964 Impala Convertible
    2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
    2006 Subaru Legacy GT
    My Car Blog

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Kick ass dude, it looks pretty good.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

to do the m/t swap how much am i lookin at? i plan on heading down to PA and picking up a few stuff, if i have enough i will pick up the stuff needed for the swap, also can someone make a list of everything i should pull out from the eclipse to complete the swap

1600-2000k

list is already made, go look for it in gooseys 5 speed swap thread. Its under 8g performance prob the 1st/2rd thread.
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    They have a many of parts right here in the bx for the swap parts. Its easy as pie dude.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

I am writing this to prevent others from being scammed like I was:

So here is the deal. This guy Darrell Lloyd (lloydsrwe on eBay) sold me a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2.4L 5 Speed Transmission. It was supposed to come with shifter cables, and the brake pedal from the same car for $600 shipped. He said he would ship it out immediately. Then he supposedly had an emergency trip to Missouri, and he was sick, blah blah. Moral is that he cannot be contacted anymore. I filed a dispute & claim with Paypal, assuming I would get my money back, and I was wrong. I won the claim, but Darrell had closed his Paypal account, thus Paypal "could not recover any funds". Wow! that sucks!

I then filed a dispute with my credit card and lost that because I willingly gave this guy my money. Since this whole process began I have found all kinds of awesome stuff about this criminal.

Here is where he moderately screwed a guy in 2003:
    http://www.eclipseforums.org/ftopict-127924-.html

Here is where he is screwing people in 2004:
    http://www.eclipseforums.org/ftopict-173158-.html

Here is where he screwed a bunch of people in 2005:
    http://www.eclipseforums.org/ftopic-...rderasc-0.html

And here is where he is currently screwing a bunch of people:
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/good-guy...104846-rd.html

I have his address and phone number, but it's worthless, let me know if you want it.

He is in his own words: "just the average construction electrician (an honest one)"

his email / paypal addresses:
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Forum Names:
    www.neweclipse.com his name is "GTSPartz"
    www.club3g.com his name is "RD"

He apparently has a business with a guy name Ron Miller and its called something like "RD Auto". It may have been in Portland Oregon, though I am not sure.

I am going to be getting police involved next, hopefully get him in some kind of trouble. I don't know what they can do from across the country, but I will find out.

Moral is, The 5 speed galant swap is on hold until I can fund it again, and for the love of god, don't buy from this criminal. The best I can hope is that Karma comes around. There isn't a bad enough word in the english language that I can call him.

-Jeremy
    Last edited by 4g63mightymax; 03-24-2008 at 10:46 AM
    1964 Impala Convertible
    2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
    2006 Subaru Legacy GT
    My Car Blog

Man there are alot of jerks in this world, sorry about that man, thanks for the heads up!
    8g 4g64 :smt069

Damn that sucks ass bro
    The Altima

I just figured I would give an update and post a question for those of you that have done the swap.

Update:
    I got the 5 speed transmission from Darrel. It has been a heck of a lot of work, but I have it, along with everything else I need to do the swap. I am officially happy again, FEW!!!.
    As I posted in a different thread, I was challenged to do the 5 speed swap in 4 hours. So far, I have installed the pedals, the rest will have to wait until I have some more spare time. The brake pedal took me 13 minutes, and the clutch pedal / master cylinder took 27 minutes. This doesn't include the time it took to find my tools in my toolbox. So I am at 40 minutes for a total. I still think I can pull it off.

Question:
    I feel like the clutch fluid reservoir should be mounted on the two factory bumps on the firewall, but a 2003 eclipse bracket doesn't fit between those spots. Where have you 5-speed guys mounted your reservoirs? Got pictures?

Thanks
    -Jeremy
    1964 Impala Convertible
    2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
    2006 Subaru Legacy GT
    My Car Blog

you will see a little cut out already there like a indent of the shape

13 GTR

I definitely appreciate the pictures, but I actually already have the clutch pedal and master cylinder installed. The part that I am wondering about is the Clutch Fluid Reservoir Bottle. Do you have a picture of where exactly you mounted that? I like things to look like the factory put it there..
    Thanks a bunch!

-Jeremy
    1964 Impala Convertible
    2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
    2006 Subaru Legacy GT
    My Car Blog

ohh sorry, i dont have anything closer currently but you can see it right next to my alarm siren on he right.

13 GTR

Ok, that is where I was intending on putting mine, I just felt like those two bumps on the left side of the alarm siren look like a great spot for a clutch reservoir. Anybody know of why those bumps exist?

-Jeremy
    1964 Impala Convertible
    2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
    2006 Subaru Legacy GT
    My Car Blog

Well, this coming memorial day weekend I am going to do the 5 speed swap. I have 3 hours and 20 minutes left after the clutch and brake pedal installation. Obviously I will have the entire 3 day weekend if things go terribly wrong, but 4 hours total for my 5 speed swap is my LOFTY goal, and I will be honest and let you guys know how it works out. If I takes me 3 weeks, I will tell you its 3 weeks. I have planned it to death, so if something goes wrong, it will tick me off, but we'll see. Saturday night I should have an update for you.
    You have no idea how excited I am to have a 5 speed Galant...... wish me luck! Pictures will come during the weekend.

-Jeremy
    1964 Impala Convertible
    2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
    2006 Subaru Legacy GT
    My Car Blog

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    i have 2 auto transmissions
    THUNDER STEALER!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast