The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4G64 Turbo W/ Auto

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 62

4G64 Turbo W/ Auto

how good is it to put a turbo on 4g64 with a automatic transmission i was looking at the evo3 turbo 16 i think

Your transmission should last quit some time before giving out on you if you don't go too insane with the boost. Planning on going turbo with an auto using a Big 16g. I'll see how long it takes to blow the tranny and swap in the 5 speed when the time comes.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Its not the best idea, the auto trans fails under just even stock power. You can swap in an auto trans from a turbo fwd 2g which will be able to handle a lot more power. Or just 5spd swap.
    7g for life!

oooo ok i could find the turbo fwd 2g at a junk yard or do the 5speed because i want something like http://item.express.ebay.com/Turbo-K...mdZExpressItem
    but i want to spoon at 3500 or you tell me what you would do??

Thats not a baaad kit, but I wouldnt use that turbo, and I would have a welder look over the manifold and brace the runners if needed. You would still need fuel injectors, fuel pump, and intercooler piping. IMO I would just piece everything together myself vs buying that kit.
    7g for life!

3500 just to spoon?

Have to agree with seth, the auto tranny definitely isn't strong by any means, but it can work. That kit would be a waste. I wouldn't trust that turbo...the manifold would probably crack within months, and who knows the quality of the other parts. Piece it together yourself, you'll save money and know exactly what you're dealing with.
    RIP
    Part Out Coming Soon

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

oooo ok thanks guys but was a good low turbo for like just everday drive and when the time comes to race i whipp ass LOL

If u want the cheapest possible a used 14b can be had for $100 or less. Or if you want to spend more you can go for something along the lines of a 16g if you want to keep the build simple. Almost anything smaller than a 14b would be kinda pointless on a 2.4
    RIP
    Part Out Coming Soon

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

lol that bad huh but from what you all know so for i dont know much about cars only computers but 2.4L how much you think it will cost to swap to 5speed

Definately swap the tranny...the only person I can think of that was boosted on the auto without any problems was Brandon. As far as the turbo...go with the guys on this...14b or 16g will be fine. Peano had a 13g or 13b...some small ass turbo and he was at full spoon (lol) at like 2200 rpm or something rediculous like that. 16g is the most eficcient of the turbos suggested btw...if that matters to you of course

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    angel sleepervr-4 had the auto for a while on his 7g although he did wind up swapping after a few months to 5 speed

aaron qnz also still has the auto on his turbo 8g and i havent heard of any problems from him as of yet although his is still relatively new to boost and has only had it on there for a few months (im also not sure if he upgraded anything in the tranny itself offhand either)

i highly reccomend doing the swap as well it will be more cost effective and the reliability factor of the car will be much better as well

8G tranny is diffrent.

i've seen people turbo the 64 with a t25 from a 2G

peano had a 13G it came on 1G autos it's slightly bigger than a t25

20G > 18G > Big 16G > small 16G > 14B > 13G > t25

i'm not exactly sure if the 18G is better than the big 16 but ehhh close enough

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

The 18g is kinda lame imo. If you have the 16G the 18G is just pointless, go straight to the TD06H 20G in that growth path or leave MHI turbos altogether and grab a 50 trim.
    RIP
    Part Out Coming Soon

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Nothing wrong with an 18g. Id probably rather have an 18g then a 16g. 18g would have similar spool characteristics as a 16g, but produce more power.
    7g for life!

Yeah...I meant that upgrading from a 16g to an 18g seems pointless, but then again there are so many different 16g's in production.
    RIP
    Part Out Coming Soon

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

brandon had a 18G on his 8th gen i think.

either way suggested size is 14b or greater.

as always you can get t3/t4 hybrinds, 50 trims, 60 trims what ever your heart desires. but you need to run more boost for them to be efficient no 8-12 lb bullshit

You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    brandon had a 18G on his 8th gen i think.

either way suggested size is 14b or greater.

as always you can get t3/t4 hybrinds, 50 trims, 60 trims what ever your heart desires. but you need to run more boost for them to be efficient no 8-12 lb bullshit
    Wrong Brandon...the guy I am talkin about had a black 7G. He ran a 14b, I got all my turbo stuff from him a couple years ago...just never put it all together. Still need some pieces though...But like I said for efficiency, the 16G is the best way to go...Evo III should be good for close to 400hp (380 I think) properly tuned and all that crap. 7G, you are definately going to want to swap the trans...the autos are shit in the 7G. Two weak points...the trans and the balance shaft belt...keep an eye on that too btw

Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
    Wrong Brandon...the guy I am talkin about had a black 7G. He ran a 14b, I got all my turbo stuff from him a couple years ago...just never put it all together. Still need some pieces though...But like I said for efficiency, the 16G is the best way to go...Evo III should be good for close to 400hp (380 I think) properly tuned and all that crap. 7G, you are definately going to want to swap the trans...the autos are shit in the 7G. Two weak points...the trans and the balance shaft belt...keep an eye on that too btw
    i'm talking about brandon aka underated. i think that was his old setup. not 100% but i think so. 14b's on strokers and dsm motors can hit 300-350hp. if you making more power you need internals and head work. unless you plan on making over 300hp a 14b or 16G will be enough. seth was running his 63 between 18-22 psi

but yes evil-G-nius evo III are nice turbos but costly compared to a 14b. whatever turbo you can afford go for it. but also keep in mind your driving. it's pointless to have a big turbo if you can't rev high enough to have a good or decent power band. with a 14b on a 64 your power band should be between 3000-6000

I have been told that you can spool a 16g with a 64 in the same range and maybe lower. 2500 and up from what I hear....but I think thats with a tubular manifold and a 3" down pipe and exhaust to help spool up quicker. Plus heat wrap helps too I think

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast