The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 speed swap question

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

5 speed swap question

I am converting my car to a 5 speed and dohc motor. I have all the parts and motor in the car. I am using the 94 galant gs dohc wiring harness. The pedals are in and the clutch line is ran. I found the taped up wires for the pedal. Did the automatic have a starter relay? I turn th ekey and get nuthing. I can get the starter to turn over by jumping it to 12v. any input would be appricated

If I remember correctly you need another starter. Even then many ppl had trouble getting "good" starters since most are refurbished.

Edit
    ---
    There's a relay to be added also it seems.
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=12345
    Last edited by bmore303; 02-17-2008 at 04:10 PM
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

the starter works if you jump 12v to it. I know it has something to due with the wireing harness. i am tring to find the starter relay

You must make a relay so that your swaped manual will start up when needed. I have a 97 galant so I just took the big harnest plug that was going to the auto transmision and grabed the two largest wires and connected them together.(they were Bule/Black)

Since you are using a GS harnest which all GS were manual I don't know exactly how to make that work. Are you using a gs ecu as well? or the stock ecu
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Proto
    You need a MT starter and not an AT starter.

Also refer to this page: http://socallifestyle.com/tutorial/tutorial.html

i have a gs wiring harness gs ecu and a complete 2g turbo motor with mt starter. the starter will work if i introduce 12v to the silinoid. there is 2 connectors on the clutch pedal and 2 conectors on the brake pedal. there was a connector up by the clutch pedal with a loop plug on it. i pulled the plug off and installed it on my clutch pedal switch I am missing the connector on top of my clutch pedal i have looked on the wiring harness and havn't had any luck finding it.

You need to either have both plugs connected or disconnected in order for the car to start. It won't work if you only have half of the clutch switch connected. IMO it isn't worth the trouble having it connected. Just remember not to park/start it while in gear.

222whp/250wtq

on the woring diagram it shows the auto having the park n d switch and for th emanuale it shows a starter relay I have the manule harness installed into the car right now. I think i need a starter relay where is the relay located? mitchell on demand says in fender well but that is not right.

thats where it is. under the passenger fender.

you have to take the fenderwell liner out to get there.
    or pry your way behind it somehow

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Goes from the ignition switch, to the starter relay, to the starter. try running a line directly from the ignition switch(find which is the ign wire) to the starter, see if that changes anything.
    7g for life!

i looked in the well but didn't see anything that cought my eye. the 94 modle year said it was under the dash. my production date is aug of 94. did they hid the plug on the autos or tape it up to something? everthing seems to work but the ignition won't kick the starter
    thanks for all the help guys keep the suggestions cumming

Quote Originally Posted by phizzalot View Post
    Since you are using a GS harnest which all GS were manual
    not all GS were manual. i was trying to buy one and it was auto.

manual was standard

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

i looked in the fender well and did not see it. The car was orignaly an auto so i would assume they would hide the connector in tape?

Just make a new relay circuit. Buy a relay. Run a wire from the starter wire at the ign switch to relay pin 86. Run a wire w/ 30 amp fuse from the battery to relay pin 30. Then wire relay pin 87 to starter soenoid. Pin 85 of the relay gets grounded.