The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dual Ecu evo 8 and 02 ecu

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 72

In and running = Dual Ecu evo 8 and 02 ecu

dual ecu - it works

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Edit **** wiring diagram is down below at your request

First off this has only been verified and tested with USDM Evolution 8 ecus and should not work for anything above 8. You may use any year evo 8 ecu but only some have intercooler sprayer functions. Also if you plan to program them and add tephras mods from evolutionm.net including nlts and knock cel etc.... you must have certain ecus or ECU IDS to do so.. ECU id is 96420008 for example and so on.. Evo 4 through 8 ecus should work and be close pinouts but again its not verified. JDM ecus have different pinouts from what i see and use different hard ware sometimes but its possible to rewire..

wiring

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

heres wiring i am not liable for any issues that arise from this diagram so do this at your own risk and quadruple check everything before soldering.. Verify all your sensors are reading accurately with evo scan and such..... any questions ill do my best to help..

The pins in this diagram all for the stock ecu pinouts -- so find the pin on my list and u must match it with the evo diagram pins which are not listed here but can be found here http://www.roadraceengineering.com/e...-ecuwiring.htm

Im still learning different things with this setup so I will most likely change items if i encountered problems or find out misc things that you should know.. With the help of 3geclipse^ and others who might try this and find different things we can create 100% accurate guide.

only evo ecu
    pin item
    1 injector 1
    2 injector 4
    3 o2 sensor heater front
    6 egr solenoid
    9 injector 2
    11 ignition 1,4
    12 ignition 2,3
    14 isc coil a1
    15 isc coil b1
    18 cooling fan pwm output
    19 volume air flow reset
    20 ac to pin 8 on evo
    21 fuel pump relay
    22 ses
    24 injector 3
    26 o2 sensor heater rear
    28 isc coil a2
    29 isc coil b2
    34 evaporate emission purge solenoid
    35 evap vent solenoid
    43 tach signal
    44 coolant temp signal
    52 power steering switch input
    55 baro pressure sensor
    56 camshaft position sensor
    58 starter signal
    61 ac to pin 24 evo
    71 o2 sensor front
    73 o2 sensor rear
    85 data link goes to pin 62 on evo for comms
    90 knock sensor
    91 mdp sensor
    92 fuel tank diff sensor
    113 datalink to 79 on evo

both ecus
    pin item
    16 sensor ground IAT cam and crank
    41 12v switched
    42 grnd
    45 crankshaft sensor
    46 5v sensor power
    47 12 v switched
    48 grnd
    49 mfi relay
    57 sensor grnd for o2 sensor coolant temp, tps
    65 volume airflow sensor
    66 backup power supply
    78 tps signal
    80 vehicle speed sensor
    98 ignition

Special note --
    (64 intake air temp signal)
    connect intake air temp wire to ground with resistor around 300 to 350ohms to give it a normal temp number.

(44 coolant temp signal)
    connect coolant temp wire to ground with resistor around 300 to 350 ohms to give it 174 or higher temp.
    Special note--

Auto pcm only
    pin
    75-77
    pins 101-130 stay connected except pin 113 which goes to pin 79 on evo

****** Old post *****
    ive been reading and searching for answers and for someone who has done a dual ecu setup but found no one so..

i was stupid enough to wire in my 04 evo 8 ecu in with my auto pcm and it actually works well. I did some odds n ends tuning with the maf and idle settings and the idle is bearable but not stock -- driveability is pretty good.. i copied over my high octane to my low octane ignition map and its making some pretty good power.. cruise is like stock and boost is good with good timing and afr drops as it should to 12 and 11s on some harder acceleration. I wont run at wot until its hotter outside to see some logs... ill post up a log later with acceleration the timing and afr seem on point and i have completly removed and cut emanage wires... When i gather more info ill post rather than speculate
    ****** Old post *****

Ok i have decided i will finally use my evo 8 ecu on my car.. I have an 02 still AT and i will wire in the evo 8 in conjuction with my ecu... I have the pinouts and rechecked them with my service manual and I believe i am ok except for one main issue and some small ones... I have found 1 extra datalink connector from our pinout that i cannot find for the EvO ecu.. we have 3 on my pinout and the evo only has two from rres pinout.. Does anyone know if this will affect my flashing this ecu as i cannot proceed if i cannot flash the beast.. Also the dual load fuel pump relay = i dont know if i should use the evos fuel pump relay pin or my stock ecu -- i am going to try the stock one and see if all is well first i gues.. Lastly - there is a fuel level sensor and a sub level sensor that i have no idea where it would connect to and i think i will leave that with my auto pcm also.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and if the car works the way i dream it will without my emanage i will post my wiring and info if not i will probably kill myself and u will not hear from me... I dont want to spend money on a standalone and i dont want a five speed not yet... i paid 75 for the evo ecu and 60 for the extension harness for it.. ITs part is mn191022....
    I plan to phase the emanage out ofcourse and essentially use the evo ecu and its knock sensor for added protection. plus i dont want the blue box in my glove when im getting tickets ha. I think the evo ecu will be as reliable as the stock ecu being that it wont have any of the trivial glitches the emanage has and it has just about as much functionality as a standalone but with 1000 percent ease of use that we all want... I am shooting to try this this week but the latest is 2 weeks from now.. I have heard with certainty u can do this dual ecu mod but ive yet to see someone with proof or even running the setup as we speak so here i go..

ps.. I dont have the knock sensor yet if anyone has the evo 8 sensor let me know
    Last edited by Johnathansgalant; 06-03-2009 at 12:39 AM
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

lol good luck and this forum better not turn into proof for the FBI on why u killed yourself. So just take it easy lol. You will find a way around it and get it wired up.

good luck. I know how you feel having the car not run like stock How is the emanage working out for you on the auto? I'm installing the HKS fcon iS in my car next week to try to get it running like stock again

actually i could live with it as its been good to me.. No coil issues and the timing seems on point.. Everything works the way i need it to but theres few in betweens that let u know its not stock such as sudden deceleration once in a blue moon after a hard acceleration and sometimes my startups are longer.. I cant bash the emanage but i feel im finished with it...
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

i wired up the basic power and grounds and the diag port connections atleast that i found and i cannot get the evo ecu to read in ecuflash. Ne one the diag port wiring i can use to read or flash the ecu because without it i cannot continue.. thanks

i dunno if u have looked on club3g or not but they have discussed this there not sure if this helps
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

dlc

finally found what i was looking courtesy of the author malibu jack from aktivematrix.com. That place is a great place for tinkering with ecus and software.. ne ways here is the pins needed to flash the ecu..

Dunno if anyone else needs it but.. Since im having so much trouble im going to assume the evo ecu will not flash with the stock connections but ill try again and verify my info...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay quick update.. EVO 7/8 Specific (probably applies to all of the ECU's with 4 plug connectors)

The K line (OBD Pin 7) goes to ECU Pin 62
    OBD Pin 4 & 5 are to ground
    OBD Pin 16 is 12v+

DLC Connector pin 26 (according to the Mitsu Schematic, its the bottom right pin if you look at your connector with the Tang up) goes to ECU Pin 79.. The connector on the Tactrix cable has 3 pins wired, so I'm assuming different models might have this pin located in different positions.

In order to get the ECU To power up on the bench, you need the 3 power and 2 grounds connected, I also wired a light to the CEL, it makes sense since the CEL light will come on if the ECU boots.

12v+ switched power goes to pin 12 and 25 on the ECU
    Ground goes to pins 13 and 26 on the ECU (its the leftmost connector on your ECU if your looking at it with the label up, and harness tangs facing up)

Constant 12v+ power goes to pin 80, thats on the right-most connector. This is the memory backup, disconnecting this essentially wipes the ECU as if the battery was disconnected.

Finally the CEL light is Pin 36 (second connector) which is switched to ground, therefore the CEL light would be wired to a 12v+ source and its ground wire to this pin. When the CEL transistor initializes, the light switches on.

I think thats everything you need to build a bench harness..

I would recommend picking up a DLC and OBD-II connector from a junked mitsubishi at the salvage yard for this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

flash

works beautiful i was able to view my rom file and all.. I can continue my wiring.. I already have the emanage so i can use my ignition, injector and a few others i believe so thats half the battle.. Ill continue to post updates.. Rom comes up as 2004 evo as expected...

ecu

got the ecu in tonight and it runs pretty good. No emanage and it recognizes boost fine.. I have to do some odds and ends and get rid of some dtcs but all in all im pleased.. no more emanage in my glove box boys

wow. you were able to pull it off? congrats.

there is a TON of wiring to solder I mean a TON my hands and stomach hurt from lying down and working all yesterday but the car is driving pretty well just that i am running a bit rich so ill mess with it today and see whats up.. I have not installed my knock sensor yet so ill do that today as im sure thats one problem.. Ill let u know when it runs perfect.. Its not the hardest thing but i dont recommend it for everyone as the there are so many connections its not even funny -- 92 pins on the evo ecu and u gotta connect 95% of them

i wired up the coolant temp and fan control but the fans are not turning on at all ne know if the fans need another sensor or something to turn on when it heats up?? thanks

i need help peeps im getting low to very low timing 5 and below during cruise and accel -- the car studders and has pretty much no power unlease i ease into acceleration very very very slowly.. I dunno what it is and ive messed with injector scaling and so on but no use its still there

good news only one problem left for me which is activating the fans on different speeds / time -- the idle is 99.9% perfect - just gotta work a little on latency -- Everything else works well so far ... i have not verified the ac i will on the weekend although that shouldnt be an issue afr and timing looks very nice though ... just a progress report

wiring

i thought i updated here but i didnt -- sorry guys

thanks to all the help from tgc and club3g and evolutionm here is there wiring diagram for my dual ecu conversion
    Currectly everything works like my car came with an evo ecu... You get all the benefits of the evo ecu with the automatic tranny and when u switch to manual tranny u can remove the stock ecu from the equation.. WOT shifts perfect like stock, idle like stock, afr is done by ecu up to whatever boost you can put at it on the motor.. Timing is easily tuned -- plus the added ability of the knock sensor which is a great safety device and tuning tool.. u can use a knock sensor off a 95 and up eclipse, a diamante from unknown years - i am using a 98ish i think.. Knock is detected with either or .. there are probably more sensors u can use from different cars but these are verified.. Unless u can figure another way u will have to hack that stock harness up so be sure u want to do this.. Note you may be able to just remove certain pins from the ecu harness intact..

heres wiring i am not liable for any issues that arise from this diagram so do this at your own risk and quadruple check everything before soldering.. Verify all your sensors are reading accurately with evo scan and such..... any questions ill do my best to help..

The pins in this diagram all for the stock ecu pinouts -- so find the pin on my list and u must match it with the evo diagram pins which are not listed here..

Im still learning different things with this setup so I will most likely change items if i encountered problems or find out misc things that you should know.. With the help of 3geclipse^ and others who might try this and find different things we can create 100% accurate guide.

only evo ecu
    pin item
    1 injector 1
    2 injector 4
    3 o2 sensor heater front
    6 egr solenoid
    9 injector 2
    11 ignition 1,4
    12 ignition 2,3
    14 isc coil a1
    15 isc coil b1
    18 cooling fan pwm output
    19 volume air flow reset
    20 ac to pin 8 on evo
    21 fuel pump relay
    22 ses
    24 injector 3
    26 o2 sensor heater rear
    28 isc coil a2
    29 isc coil b2
    34 evaporate emission purge solenoid
    35 evap vent solenoid
    43 tach signal
    44 coolant temp signal
    52 power steering switch input
    55 baro pressure sensor
    56 camshaft position sensor
    58 starter signal
    61 ac to pin 24 evo
    71 o2 sensor front
    73 o2 sensor rear
    85 data link goes to pin 62 on evo for comms
    90 knock sensor
    91 mdp sensor
    92 fuel tank diff sensor
    113 datalink to 79 on evo

both ecus
    pin item
    16 sensor ground IAT cam and crank
    41 12v switched
    42 grnd
    45 crankshaft sensor
    46 5v sensor power
    47 12 v switched
    48 grnd
    49 mfi relay
    57 sensor grnd for o2 sensor coolant temp, tps
    65 volume airflow sensor
    66 backup power supply
    78 tps signal
    80 vehicle speed sensor
    98 ignition

Special note --
    (64 intake air temp signal)
    connect intake air temp wire to ground with resistor around 300 to 350ohms to give it a normal temp number.

(44 coolant temp signal)
    connect coolant temp wire to ground with resistor around 300 to 350 ohms to give it 174 or higher temp.
    Special note--

Auto pcm only
    pin
    75-77
    pins 101-130 stay connected except pin 113 which goes to pin 79 on evo

this is great. wish you woulda done this sooner before i installed my hks fcon. future tubo guys should look into this instead of using piggy backs. this is a way cheaper alternative

do you get any check engine lights from this?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Great info. Feel free to make a new post in the 8g tutorial forum with this writeup.
    7g for life!

yes u get fuel pressure sol, wastegate sol, and fuel temp or level sensor i have to check again... The solenoids can be removed but the temp sensor i dunno about.. Does not affect the operation though..

I actually picked up a fuel temp sensor and wired it up and left it on the floor, no more code. Good Job btw.
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast