The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Think I have a ground problem, working on it RIGHT NOW lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 55

Think I have a ground problem, working on it RIGHT NOW lol

All,
    I have a 97 ES. I have 12v at the battery, 12v at the starter. I am now thinking its a grounding problem. This has been going on sporadically for a while. Sometimes my car doesnt want to start. I pop the hood, shake the cables a lil bit, try it again and it works. I made sure to check the battery cable connections and they all are TIGHT. Now last summer, I replaced the battery cable because it had got really corroded and that helped for a while but now I guess since its cold (Im in the DC area) its giving me trouble again.

The only thing I havent replaced or checked are the ground cables. Can someone tell me where they are located? I found this snippet by Seth98EST (Sorry if I got it wrong)

2) Check your grounds. One behind the battery, one that bolts to the transmission to one of the starter bolts, one on top of the intake manifold. Make sure they are connected and not corroded.

Thats what im going outside to check now. If anyone has any other suggestions, etc puhleeeez post them. I took off work today so hopefully I can get er squared away.

bunyan
    blah blah blah

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    cant tell you where they all are, but look at the negative terminal of the battery and follow the lines that go from there...look at the areas of the problem components and follow the cables to check and see... also make sure the terminals themselves are in check and not corroded etc

Quote Originally Posted by fatal1 View Post
    cant tell you where they all are, but look at the negative terminal of the battery and follow the lines that go from there...look at the areas of the problem components and follow the cables to check and see... also make sure the terminals themselves are in check and not corroded etc
    Right! I just checked. The one on top of the manifold looks ok, I still am trying to find where the cable that bolts to the starter bolts up at. I also looked at the ground that bolts up behind the bettery and it looks ok too. I wonder what the best angle is to get to those starter bolts...

I see theres a big cable tie holding together 2 or 3 cables running to the starter. I think its inside of that cable tie but I cant see where it comes out and bolts up at. I think I read somewhere that it bolts to one of the starter bolts. Im going back out now to check it again
    blah blah blah

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    if you think you have ground issues, take a DMM and put one line to the Neg. batt. post and the other to your ground point and see if you read voltage. if you do, you have a bad ground.

WarmAndSCSI
    Wouldn't it be easy to just measure resistance if he has a multimeter? Multi = more than just a volt meter.

All,
    I do have a MM. What should the resistance be from the bolt where the starter cable bolts to to starter to the battery. Ill run out and check that now
    blah blah blah

WarmAndSCSI
    Ideally, as close to 0 ohm as possible. You know you have a bad ground connection if it's somewhere above 50 ohm.

Ok,
    I cant figure out my fricking MM. I got my cousin coming over shortly. Guess Ill test resistance between ummmm the positive terminal and where the ground wire bolts up to the tranny???

bunyan
    blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    Wouldn't it be easy to just measure resistance if he has a multimeter? Multi = more than just a volt meter.
    ohms doesn't mean squat in this sense. he needs to measure for voltage loss.

WarmAndSCSI
    Voltage drop is caused by resistance in a DC circuit...

Quote Originally Posted by paulbunyan View Post
    Ok,
    I cant figure out my fricking MM. I got my cousin coming over shortly. Guess Ill test resistance between ummmm the positive terminal and where the ground wire bolts up to the tranny???

bunyan

you do that an you will fry you MM. you need to go between the neg post of the battery and the ground spot you are testing.

Voltage drop is caused by resistance in a DC circuit...
    he needs to measure in volts, not ohms though.

WarmAndSCSI
    Only useful reading he could obtain is by measuring voltage between positive post and the ground post and doing the same at the grounding point in order to determine voltage drop. Guess what, it'll correlate exactly to the resistance dependent on the amount of current the multimeter uses to measure resistance. Ohm's law - it's really quite simple stuff.

To the OP, just measure resistance between the grounding point and the negative terminal. Also, you're not going to blow your multimeter by taking a resistance reading between the negative and positive posts - in fact, that tells you a lot about the health of the battery.

Only useful reading he could obtain is by measuring voltage between positive post and the ground post and doing the same at the grounding point in order to determine voltage drop. Guess what, it'll correlate exactly to the resistance dependent on the amount of current the multimeter uses to measure resistance. Ohm's law - it's really quite simple stuff.
    incorrect. by putting it on the possitive post, it pust current through the DMM which it can't handle and frying it. the reason why you measure between the ground point and the neg batt post is because you're trying to measure a difference in voltage aga voltage drop.

i know all about this and ohm's laws and many of the other laws since i am a mobile electronics installer.

WarmAndSCSI
    There is no potential between the ground point and the negative post unless electrons are flowing through it. The battery is your source of potential. Just measure the damn resistance, I know what I'm talking about here.

Also since you obviously don't have a firm grasp on what it means to measure the voltage difference between two points in a DC circuit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Voltage between two stated points

Another usage of the term "voltage" is in specifying how many volts are across an electrical device (such as a resistor). In this case, the "voltage," or, more accurately, the "voltage across the device," is really the first voltage taken, relative to ground, on one terminal of the device minus a second voltage taken, relative to ground, on the other terminal of the device. In practice, the voltage across a device can be measured directly and safely using a voltmeter that is isolated from ground, provided that the maximum voltage capability of the voltmeter is not exceeded.
    Two points in an electric circuit that are connected by an "ideal conductor," that is, a conductor without resistance and not within a changing magnetic field, have a potential difference of zero. However, other pairs of points may also have a potential difference of zero. If two such points are connected with a conductor, no current will flow through the connection.

And, again, it won't fry the fucking voltmeter. I'm not incorrect. It's not going to draw any current just because you hook it up to a source of potential. Go try it, I'll bet you $100 that the DMM will be fine and you'll just measure the internal resistance of the battery.

ok mr all so fricken mighty god of knowledge that is always right *rolls eyes*

so you are telling me what i have been taught and experienced colleges doing isn't true?

and you wanna know how you're wrong? if you hook one end up to possitive and the other to negative, guess what is going to happen? CURRENT FLOW. wow, how did i know that one. so if you cause current flow through your dmm, there is no fuse on the side you need your plug on, thus frying it.
    Last edited by fliegendaffe; 02-21-2008 at 07:07 PM

WarmAndSCSI
    Does it really hurt that badly to be wrong? I'm only going to argue something when I know I'm right. Get over it.

you get over yourself. i'm done arguing this. i know what i know. and i know what i have witnessed. so pull your head out of where ever it is.

peace

WarmAndSCSI
    Go read about the internal resistance of batteries. That's the ONLY thing you're going to find when you measure the resistance between the two posts; NOT a fried multimeter.

Just because you're apparently going to college for EE or whatever doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

And, yes, it'll draw enough current to measure the resistance. I meant a SIGNIFICANT amount of current. Like more the a few mA - enough to fry the thing.
    Last edited by WarmAndSCSI; 02-21-2008 at 07:14 PM

keep blabbering warm, no one is listening.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast