The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Failed Emissions for Nox in Colorado.

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Failed Emissions for Nox in Colorado.

We have a 95 Mitsu Galant ES that failed emissions. The HC's are high, but it actually failed on NoX. The readings are as follows.

In GPM's

............. Reading .........Limit

HC GPM 1.6283 _____ 2.0000

CO GPM 8.2270 _____ 20.000

Co2 GPM 294.3862

NoX GPM 4.2726 _____ 4.0

What would cause high combustion pressure/temperature? What kind of things should I check on this motor? It has about 103,000 miles. New timing belt, water pump and all of that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are really short with cash so I would like to try and fix this myself if possible.

I am going to first clean the EGR(Do I just hit the EGR with some carb cleaner?) and then replace plugs, check timing, replace air filter and put some high octane gas in there.

Any advice will be appreciated.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    have everything that has to deal with emissions check. i.e. O2 sensors,egr,cat,etc...

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

WarmAndSCSI
    If NOx levels are abnormally high, it's probably the EGR system.

^^ thats right. What I did when it failed cuz of Nox was to block off the PCV hose in the middle and hooked back in, so it could pass visual. Then it passed emissions too! A lil ghetto but it worked. Also I was in NJ and there the inspections are free. But you could try to clean the EGR by soaking it in gas or acetone or thiner.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Seeing as how the HC's are kind of high too, the EGR system is probably the cuprit.
    Thanks for the responses.

My vote is also for an EGR related issue, but also make sure that whoever does the inspection puts a fan in front of the car when they run it on the dyno. When I used to do emissions tests here in MA, the fan made a noticeable difference in emissions. Since NOX is due to high combustion temperatures, you want your engine as cool as you can get it during the test.
    Good Luck!
    -Jeremy
    1964 Impala Convertible
    1989 Dodge Ram 50 w/ Turbo 4G63
    2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
    2006 Subaru Legacy GT
    My Car Blog

Where is the EGR located.

Illegally Legal...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmode9316 View Post
    Any advice will be appreciated.
    Do what I do or did for that matter. I'm sure you have a custom body shop in your area. I asked some of the guys where I get most of my work done and they know people who give out inspection stickers without even testing your cars. Some people don't want people driving their cars, especially if they're "Show Cars", so alot of shops have their so called middle man to do all the illegal work...Anywho, besides actually fixing the issue with your car, you could go this route...
    :D

Kid

Saving People, Property, And The Environment From Such Dangers As Fire, Hazardous Materials, And The Grim Reaperâ„¢...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmode9316 View Post
    Where is the EGR located.

As you stand in front of the car and looking at the engine, the EGR is located under the throttle body. This is the left side of the intake manifold. I dont know how inclined you are, but throttle body is where the big black rubber pipe ends in the engine. EGR is bolted with two 12mm bolts and it has vacuum line on top of it

Last edited by mko; 02-22-2008 at 05:11 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    As you stand in front of the car and looking at the engine, the EGR is located under the throttle body. This is the left side of the intake manifold. I dont know how inclined you are, but throttle body is where the big black rubber pipe ends in the engine. EGR is bolted with two 12mm bolts and it has vacuum line on top of it

IM pretty mechanically incline. I could have understood with just the describing it, but the picture is awesome thanks alot!

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post

IM pretty mechanically incline. I could have understood with just the describing it, but the picture is awesome thanks alot!

Last but not least, does anyone know where I can buy a jumper wire to adjust timing/?

I went to set the timing this weekend and I cannot see the marks for TDC. All of the other pulleys and stuff were in the way of the crankshaft. All I could see was the spot marked BDC. Whats the secret to actually being able to see the timing notches on the crank pulley? DO I have to maybe remove the driver side splash guard or something?

I had to pay $100 for an inspection sticker in September because it would've cost too much either in repairs or tickets not to pay it ASAP.