The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: right hand drive conversion

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 82

right hand drive conversion

I want to take my car from left hand to right hand drive manual and im finding a lot of front clips with engine, turbos, and trannies allin one.... so im wondering if i was to strip both my car and the front clip down to the bare metal firewalls would it be the same if not less work to just swap the firewalls and put everything else back into my g rather than lose chassis strength by cutting the frame to have the clip welded on?

WarmAndSCSI
    No, just no.

And WHY!?

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    You wont lose strength if done right. I have done that on a 97 Nissan Maxima. It hit a wall hard and the front end was smashed beyond repair. We just bought the front clip, from windshield out, welded, reinforced it and was good as new. We also had customers that wanted sunroof and we just find that same car, cut the roof off about where it meets the fenders, then cut his off and weld the new roof on, reinforce it. It's metal.

We didn't do a conversion just a swap of same though. I dont know about switching steering wheel sides.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Im sure you could, nobody has ever done it in a Galant. People in Hondas and Nissan 240sx do it all the time.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    No, just no.

And WHY!?
    Why not? Collision shops do things like this all the time.

WarmAndSCSI
    You're telling me collision shops do RHD conversions for the hell of it all the time... I really don't think so.

This is the dumbest idea ever. There is absolutely no benefit to doing this unless you find a pristine VR-4 clip, and even then, you're going to have to swap the tranny to keep it solely FWD.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    You wont lose strength if done right. I have done that on a 97 Nissan Maxima. It hit a wall hard and the front end was smashed beyond repair. We just bought the front clip, from windshield out, welded, reinforced it and was good as new. We also had customers that wanted sunroof and we just find that same car, cut the roof off about where it meets the fenders, then cut his off and weld the new roof on, reinforce it. It's metal.

We didn't do a conversion just a swap of same though. I dont know about switching steering wheel sides.
    Well you'd need to make sure the a-pillars line up, redo the entire dashboard or acquire a RHD dashboard. Which either way will need to be modified to fit a hybrid JDM-USDM car.

The engine bay would require no modification to very little simply because you don't have to worry about changing engine mounts or trans mounts, or anything else. You would have to redo brake lines, exhaust, fuel lines, etc etc...but taking on a swap of this magnitude that stuff is a given.

WarmAndSCSI
    It would cost more than just importing a VR-4. End of story.

I also forgot to mention that after this "conversion," the car would not be road legal any more.
    Last edited by WarmAndSCSI; 02-21-2008 at 06:47 PM

You're telling me collision shops do RHD conversions for the hell of it all the time... I really don't think so.

This is the dumbest idea ever. There is absolutely no benefit to doing this unless you find a pristine VR-4 clip, and even then, you're going to have to swap the tranny to keep it solely FWD.
    Oh no, I'm not saying that type of conversion. I mean replace destroyed front clips or rear clips off USDM to USDM. Though like Seth said its been done with JDM RHD to USDM LHD.

WarmAndSCSI
    I almost had a rear clip put on my car when I wrecked it; I know it's common, but every body shop I talked to about it said it's almost never the best option. Too labor-intensive, too easy to screw up.

I almost had a rear clip put on my car when I wrecked it; I know it's common, but every body shop I talked to about it said it's almost never the best option. Too labor-intensive, too easy to screw up.
    I agree, its a intensive job. Though if someone wants this type of swap it may be the best choice. I agree I'd spend the money on importing the entire car.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    I was not talking about RHD conversion, I was just saying that you can swap out front clips LHD to LHD. I don't see the benefit of RHD??? Waste of money, I rather spend all that cash on a AWD.

I also forgot to mention that after this "conversion," the car would not be road legal any more.

First off i said THE FRONT CLIP COMES WITH THE TRANNY

Second Im not getting the clip for the vr4 front i want the ENGINE,TURBO,TRANNY, FIREWALL AND DASHBOARD ASSEMBLY THAT ALL COME WITH THE FRONT CLIP

Third i can get a front clip delivered for $3,500.00 usd: so you show me where you can get a Complete Pristine VR4 w/delivery for that price or better from overseas

Fourth whats the go^&amn point of importing a FU%*8ng rhd vr4 if rhd is not legal in the states,.. But just for record setting RHD is legal in the states and if your in a state thats not RHD then all you have to do is get DAILY DRIVE SHOW CAR INSURANCE pay the extra 1000 a year and take and extended drivers test thats usually for people who have moved/worked in rhd countries for an extended time or foreigners from rhd countries moving to america w/their rhd cars. And dont tell me you cant i was stationed in Europe for 2 years and have quiet a few buddies that demobed to stateside with their rhd cars.

As for the reason why , i am also turning the car into a WILD MODIFICATION entry at car shows and not cutting the frame would also increase points while maintaining the driving saftey of the car

To all others thanks for the info, i personally would rather change the fire wall than cut the car, plus not cutting the car technically keeps it a 02 galant rhd rather than frankestein which will make it even more unique, so if its the same amout of work id rather have it done this way.
    Last edited by jubeiaire; 02-21-2008 at 07:17 PM

WarmAndSCSI
    You do realize the engine will not mount in the 8G engine bay without new motor mount points. As well, the transmission is AN ALL WHEEL DRIVE transmission. Do your research. You'd have to find a compatible FWD transmission or convert the whole car to AWD.

You're not going to be able to register a RHD converted car in NY unless you know somebody who will let you pass safety.

Ditch the attitude if you actually want help.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar

and this wont be legal why?

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    and this wont be legal why?
    The car didn't come as a RHD... work has been done that could compromise its safety features. They would not let it pass inspections.

first off you didnt help you bashed and made it more complicated by having others have to address your issue as well as the thread, not to mention you still never answered the question as to if its more, the same or less work.... so im going to assume you dont know.

second the question as i just stated was " would it be more work to swap firewalls or more work to cut and reweld the the two halfs together

and who said i wanted a vr4 in the first place , i sure didnt( and i dont care what car you think i should swap it with)
    but if i did want a vr4 who said i wouldnt make it all wheel drive , i sure as hell never said i wouldnt.

lastly if i have enough knowledge to know that firewalls can be swapped( hence why i asked about how much work rather than can it be done) what makes you think i dont know that my engine mounts would have to be done as well, also considering i know that the engine is reversed for RHD. and once again you didnt read ,wence i said that specialty insuarnce is the loop hole for that to include taking a specialized drizing test ..which i qualify for as to have been livivng in europe for a 2 year military tour.

WarmAndSCSI
    The engine isn't reversed for RHD on the 8th Gen Galant, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Stop acting like you do.

All of that only applies to driving a RHD car that CAME THAT WAY. The car itself will still not pass safety inspections. Whether you can legally drive a RHD car is a whole other issue. That's about you, not the car.

its been done. someone in europe swapped a rhd vr4 into lhd. but he did the work himself.

I say give it a try. If I had the money I would definitely do something like that.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast