The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: right hand drive conversion

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 82
    You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    i think you should listen to warm on this one, he takes apart his engine all the time and knows what hes talking about. he didnt bash you he told you like it was before you waste alot of money on your car which is already nice

you want to do it, go for it.

hmm once again you didnt read, may i ask....did you ride a short yellow bus with chocolate windows to school???

WHO THE HELL SAID MY G WAS REVERSED.
    just so you know(sitting in the car) if the steering colom is on the rhd side then the timing belt is REVERSED to the left side of the car. opposite of normal is reversed. 1+1=2 and the windows werent chocolate they were dirty so stop looking for the bus.....

no please mr dmv. tell me how the car wont pass saftey inspection. what wont work safteywise considering gs dont have door mounted airbags im not changing the frame im keeping my factory steering wheel with airbags, please dont tell me its the exuast,...roflol cause that would be funny... really really funny...try me i want a detailed response as to why it wouldnt pass INSPECTION.

FYI the car would only have to go through extended saftey inspections by the state of NY if it was givin a Salvage Title by the insurance company,,,
    So please tell me what mandatory inspection i would have to go through in ny mandated by the DMV for modifiying my car without having it totaled out by my insurance and put as salvage??/

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    What is this chocolate window nonsense, lol
    ~Lady Driven~

WarmAndSCSI
    Speaking of riding the shortbus...
    also considering i know that the engine is reversed for RHD.
    My response:
    The engine isn't reversed for RHD on the 8th Gen Galant,
    I keep on telling people this: Reading. Comprehension.

I won't even touch the DMV thing. A RHD converted car will never pass an actual safety inspection. Hell, if I did this conversion, they probably wouldn't even let me race at the track if they bothered to take notice.

99 i fully understand where you are coming from but as i said he never answered the actuall question i asked, ty for the compliment on my ride as well.. the issue for me was never money, the only reason i asked is because i already have a written quote on doing a clip cut&swap so if a clean firewall was less work then the cost would be lower to have it done that way and the frames integrity would be salvaged.. i could just have the curent firewall cut and moded to allow the rhd to pas through and have the left side patch welded shut but to me that would be more work and make the firewall weaker at those patches

WarmAndSCSI
    Look, you'd need to do a lot more than you think.

For one:

1.) new steering rack
    2.) as a result, a new subframe

Guess what? That subframe you'd need is gonna be from a JDM Galant which has different engine mounting points. Subsequently, you're going to either have to use a JDM engine or modify the mounting points (and also find a FWD transmission that mates with the 6A13). NOT BECAUSE the engine is mounted opposite the USDM one. Wow, everything I've told you so far is RELEVANT TO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. GO FIGURE!

Even then, I'm not even sure the subframe would bolt up. The JDM and USM 8th gens have a different chassis.

yup i read abou the guy who did a swap works fine. Good luck with the front clip swap

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

First off, there is a heirarchy on this board, at which you are at the bottom. You are not going to get anywhere by butting heads with Warm, thats not a fight that you will win. If you want help, like he said drop the attitude.

Second, on the internet most communication is done through a written language, in this case English. In the English language we have things called sentense structure and so on. It is important to at least try to type out a complete thought complete with punctuation to make your point clear. There is a reason for this, just because you can decifer your shorthand does not mean others can. Thus the need for proper sentence structure. You are no where near as bad as others that have blazed onto this board, but there where a few things I had to reread and some that just gave me a headache. If you want to be respected on this board, work on that.

Third, what warm is telling you is something that you should pay close attention too, as you have skipped over it.

The steering rack that is mated to the RHD galants is on a different subframe, which is totally different from the one that is on your car. Its so different in fact that most mounting points on the unibody are different. This becomes a problem when you go to mate the JDM subframe and steering rack to the USDM unibody. This means that its possible that you would have to do something as invasive as cutting the car in half at the A-piller and welding a JDM front end to it.

This brings you to the Legal issues that Warm was talking about. You would be cutting major structural portions of the car to do such a thing. Such as the A-pillers and the framerails in the floor of the vehicle. I think this can be done without cutting the whole front end of the car off, but its definatly something you should consider.

The other problem is that the USDM engine wont easily mount to the JDM engine bay, and subframe, which means with this amount of work you would be wanting to use the JDM engine, which on a VR-4 is AWD. Now I am not familiar enough with the JDM VR-4 to know if a FWD transmission is available that will work with the twin turbo engine. This may be a problem.

Warm can come off kind of abrupt, but lose the attitude if you want to have any respect on this board, he knows his stuff, and if you actually plan on doing this he's an excellent source of information.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead View Post
    First off, there is a heirarchy on this board, at which you are at the bottom. You are not going to get anywhere by butting heads with Warm, thats not a fight that you will win. If you want help, like he said drop the attitude.

Second, on the internet most communication is done through a written language, in this case English. In the English language we have things called sentense structure and so on. It is important to at least try to type out a complete thought complete with punctuation to make your point clear. There is a reason for this, just because you can decifer your shorthand does not mean others can. Thus the need for proper sentence structure. You are no where near as bad as others that have blazed onto this board, but there where a few things I had to reread and some that just gave me a headache. If you want to be respected on this board, work on that.

Third, what warm is telling you is something that you should pay close attention too, as you have skipped over it.

The steering rack that is mated to the RHD galants is on a different subframe, which is totally different from the one that is on your car. Its so different in fact that most mounting points on the unibody are different. This becomes a problem when you go to mate the JDM subframe and steering rack to the USDM unibody. This means that its possible that you would have to do something as invasive as cutting the car in half at the A-piller and welding a JDM front end to it.

This brings you to the Legal issues that Warm was talking about. You would be cutting major structural portions of the car to do such a thing. Such as the A-pillers and the framerails in the floor of the vehicle. I think this can be done without cutting the whole front end of the car off, but its definatly something you should consider.

The other problem is that the USDM engine wont easily mount to the JDM engine bay, and subframe, which means with this amount of work you would be wanting to use the JDM engine, which on a VR-4 is AWD. Now I am not familiar enough with the JDM VR-4 to know if a FWD transmission is available that will work with the twin turbo engine. This may be a problem.

Warm can come off kind of abrupt, but lose the attitude if you want to have any respect on this board, he knows his stuff, and if you actually plan on doing this he's an excellent source of information.
    Which leaves your only comparably easy solution is to swap in the entire front clip. It would be BY FAR cheaper and much easier than cutting the original firewall out only to attach the engine and firewall from the JDM donor.

Not to mention the fact that you are already destroy any "original" structural integrity by cutting out the USDM firewall.

In any case, the simplest swap is the entire front clip.

But at that point he still has so much in labor that it would be cheaper to import a JDM car. He mentioned he could get the clip for 3k, but thats still a ton of money to put the car on a frame jig to get it put on.

Instead of JDM VR4 have you considered an EVO engine? It's been done so many times. Just my .02 ;)

He is going more for RHD which is in my opinion pointless, but to each thier own.

The evo engine doesnt solve his problems.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead View Post
    He is going more for RHD which is in my opinion pointless, but to each thier own.

The evo engine doesnt solve his problems.
    QFT, he wasn't talking engine swaps, but that's where a RHD conversion would end up.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    QFT, he wasn't talking engine swaps, but that's where a RHD conversion would end up.
    Exactly.

Well it doesn't really matter, I have found the best solution for this guy, this way he can rice his car out, and it can be reversible!

TADA! Worship me, n00bs.
    1997 Volvo 850 T5

There it is, someone is thinking outside the box.

HAHAHHAHAHAHA...that seems familiar...ah I get it...it's post office's ride! LOL :D

240 guys and honda guys do these types of conversions all the time. the only difference is they have similar engines in both market vehicles
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Now after all this the answer to my question was given. Yet you are overlooking two major things

1st if you want me to want others respect i would first have to see respect from those i would want to recieve it from. I asked a simple question that he had an answer to: and in his very first post could have typed it out the same as he did in the 21st post. Yet instead his first few post were berating and disrespectful. So i think that you have forgotten that this site and these forums are open to the GENERAL PUBLIC of all AGES and not everybody wants to be, or will tolerate being disrespected. I didnt ask for an opinion , yet he was quick to give a couple of rude ones rather than answer the question. I could have sworn these forums were set up to ask questions and get answers; yet it took 20 bickering post to get him to even start to give the right answer.

In the end the answer is; "yes it would be easier to swap the fire walls but for the type of fire wall you want to swap you would still have to cut the frame of the car to properly mount the steering rack as that part of the car is on a different subframe. so in that regards it would be easier to just do a front end swap"

now that answers my question and gives me info i might not have forseen without being rude or disrespectful to others.

might i note through all of this not one other person was rude to me nor was i rude to them. so if retaliating to someone that was rude is going to lose me browny points because hes on the heirarchy of this site then i dont want that respect. im not gonna bitch up and play the role because he has knowledge that i dont, hes not the only person with knowledge on galants or cars.

Secondly i know about the legal issue dealing with cutting the frame of the car. as i stated before ive already looked into and been quoted by my insurance and body shop on how and what has to be done to keep the car legal if i do swap the front end.what i was trying to avoid was cutting the frame of the car yet now either way you punch it; in the end im still going to have to cut the frame of the car. that doest excuse the fact that that Knowledge could have been givin from the begining. i didnt ask a question that i posted all over the forums everywhere you look like can i run nitrous or do they make cf hoods for the 8g i asked a question to a mod that from my searching noone has ever done or at least posted a thread on having done it. there for the rude noob question treatment was completely and undeniably uncalled for.

So in the end ill make it this simple : In person i wont stand for disrespect and on here i wont stand for it either. to those that tried to answer to the best they could ty i appreciate it, to those that were concerned with how much it would cost me i appreciate it but rest easy my money is straight and im prepared to drop duckets to get what i want done. other than that im off to bed catch yall later

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    The only thing that would require to make JDM VR-4 legal is changing the crashbar and changing the windshield and if you transport it if your in the military :-). But if you wait a few more years I forgot how old the car has to be I think 15 years and it does not fall under this rule and you can just bring it over.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast