The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cracked Dash

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 51

Cracked Dash

Is there anyone that is having problems with their dash cracking? If so I would like to see pics if possible.

WarmAndSCSI
    This is a real common problem. Just do a search for "cracked dash" and you'll find some useful information. Here's a thread with some photos: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...t=cracked+dash.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    yep im assuming that since your asking it already happened to you, but if your trying to prevent it i suggest not using oil based products like armorall etc to clean the dash and try to use a shade when you can to block it, or a towel or something, at least when its hot and sunny

If armorall type products are not a good idea... then is there anything else that can keep the dash from drying out other than blocking it?
    2002 Galant GTZ
    1967 Cougar XR-7 w/289 c.i. (Project)

WarmAndSCSI
    Park in the shade? That's my strategy. Or get a DashMat - just ask G-Spot about it :D

vasoline....i been using that on my dash for years....

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by criz067 View Post
    If armorall type products are not a good idea... then is there anything else that can keep the dash from drying out other than blocking it?
    Those windshield sun visors help. I think everyone's dash is cracked somewhere or another, usually along the vents at the very least
    ~Lady Driven~

Haha...Yeah i read that thread not long ago. Well it aint cracked yet so i will wait to throw a rug on it. I try to stay keep it out of the sun when i can...i just didnt know if there was any other product out there that could be applied that "wouldnt clog up the pores" as was mentioned by pinoy in '03.
    2002 Galant GTZ

I noticed that everyones dashes are cracking in or around the plstic area on the dash. Are they cracking around the vinyl area by the ac vents?

Not on mine.
    2002 Galant GTZ

Mine has 3 cracks. Some of those bars on the front windshield vent have cracked and fallen inwards. Two cracks are on the sides of the vent and the other goes front the vent up about 5 inches away from the edge of where the gauges are. The vinyl part shouldn't crack though....it's vinyl not plastic. Unless you vinyl is hard???

How would you guys feel about a hard plastic overlay for your dash. They are made of ABS high heat resistent plastic and are vacum formed from the original dash. They would lay over top of the original dash and you would only need to apply some adhesive on the overaly. No unscrewwing or removing the original dash. If interested you can see some examples at www.coverlaymfg.com. Let me know what you think. All of the dashes come with a lifetime warranty.

We are in the process of R&D on the dash. We just finished production of the 00-05 Eclipse and are finishing up on the 01-05 PT Cruiser. The next dash cover in line is the 99-03 Galant. We have been in business for over 27 years manufacturing dash covers and door panels. We offer a lifetime warranty with every dash cover that we sell. We have already purchased the original dash for the Galant and are just waiting to finish the PT Cruiser. I would like to thank everyone in advance for any help that we receive from this forum.

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    Clever
    ~Lady Driven~

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    aha... you know i was trying to remember the site i saw with those to post it lmao, i think its a good idea from the other pics ive seen of them as well as an easy way to customize the dashes color etc rather then removing it to paint and wrap w/ vynil

i would be interested in the whole dash not just the already plastic part...i am looking forward to seeing a prototype, is there any way you can make like custom ones as well perhaps? something like the driver side vent being a hole for a 52mm gauge etc or similar...something clean though NOT like a center pod in the middle of the dash etc

Hey fatal, sorry but our dash cover will be an OEM cover. We do not have any way to customize the cover. And to shed some light on the cracking dash issue, there is really nothing that you can do to prevent the dash from cracking. It is a Chrysler product and all of them from 94-05 were made from inferior plastic ie: Dodge Ram truck, PT Cruiser, Eclipse, and the Galant. It is the temperature change that causes them to crack. As the temperature changes throuout the day, going from cold to hot, plastic expands and contracts with that change. The Chrysler plastic that they chose to use on all of there vehicles was inferior(aka cheap) and cracks under the temperature change. I had an 01 Galant that started to do just that. It wasn't until I started working here that I understood why it did what it did.

We use a ABS plastic that is desiged to withstand the heat and cold and not crack.

That's not a bad idea at all. I'm kind of interested! Post pics when you get to!

I will keep everyone updated on the progress of this dash cover. We have a few weeks left on finishing the PT Cruiser and then will start on the Galant.

The dash cover will only cover the plastic portion of the dash, since that is the only portion of the dash that is cracking

Need some help

We are starting production on the dash cover and ran into a small problem. What is the removable piece that is located at the front of the dash by the windshield. It is located right next to the vin number. Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    We had the same problem on my fiance's 8g. The upper dash panel cracked in 2 spots and the only option was to purchase a new or used one. Plastic gets brittle after excessive exposure to sun and heat dries it up. Doesnt help if your car has constant vibration problem too because that will contribute to the dash cracking little by little.

Basically it was a poor design and choice of materials on Mitsubishi North America to equip the 8g Galants. They should of stayed with the JDM dash...far superior materials and much more appealing design.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    We had the same problem on my fiance's 8g. The upper dash panel cracked in 2 spots and the only option was to purchase a new or used one. Plastic gets brittle after excessive exposure to sun and heat dries it up. Doesnt help if your car has constant vibration problem too because that will contribute to the dash cracking little by little.

Basically it was a poor design and choice of materials on Mitsubishi North America to equip the 8g Galants. They should of stayed with the JDM dash...far superior materials and much more appealing design.
    and RHD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast