The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g64 sucked #3 plug into cylinder - HELP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 30 of 30
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Thats all you need for the valve cover bolts. I usually do hand tight then quarter to half turn past that.

For the spark plug well gaskets, if thye are not sealing, remove them, clean off any oil on the valve cover and the spark plug wells, give it a thin coat of gasket maker or blue rtv then apply the seals, reassemble and let it cure for a few hours.
    7g for life!

strange -

the original reason I found this problem was because of a horrid shaking in my front end, I mean, HORRIBLE shaking - and the f'd up thing is, I popped the hood, saw the #3 wire popped off the plug, pushed it back down and all was fine.

Well thanks to DOHCstunr the spark plug issue has been resolved....but after a day of driving today, the shaking problem continues!!!!!!!!!!

For background, I just changed the driver side hub bearing assembly 2 weeks ago.

I examined everything and nothing looks out of the ordinary.

The way the problem shows up is, after about ten minutes of driving, the shake comes. It is violent, and is accompanied by all sorts of noises, like banging metal on metal when you step on the gas. It is definitely not motor related, doing 40mph I shut the ignition off and the violence persists. It gets stranger.

All of a sudden and for no reason, all the shaking, vibrating, banging, rotational noise stopped altogether. Completely normal. WTF???

From this evidence, it would appear that something that normally spins, must be getting hot (because it usually takes 10-15 minutes of driving until it starts).

But why would all the symptoms STOP?
    When the vibration is there it feels like both lower ball joints broke, and the knuckle is banging off the control arms and tie rod. But then it all stops. The noise, the vibration....and upon examination, all the parts are tight and in good shape.

like I said, WTF?

This only happened after i changed the hub assy. Which concludes that I must have done something wrong.
    1996 Galant shell.....newly acquired
    1992 Eclipse GST - GONE
    1991 Galant GSX - SOLD
    1994 5spd Galant - RIP

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Have you tried to lift the front end of the car and try tugging on some of the suspension and drivetrain parts to see if there is excessive play?

How is the transmission shifting prior to all the violent shaking and banging?

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

k

its the lower control arm ball joint, the lateral arm not the compression arm

I checked it out, and you can lift the hub/rotor assy up off the lower ball joint, then when you release, it makes a squishy, wet saggy sound as the assy slops down onto a worn out joint with a blown out boot. If I move it up and down in a rapid way it sounds like you got a foot stuck in the mud and cant get out lmfao

only question I have is, (never did a control arm)
    "Once I remove the bolt connecting the lower lateral control arm to the suspension damper fork, won't the shock force the damper fork down violently? Do I need to support the damper fork with a jack stand or something?"

thanks

steve
    1992 Eclipse GST - GONE
    1991 Galant GSX - SOLD
    1994 5spd Galant - RIP

Proto
    Not if you have it raised in the air.

If its up the air no, you should be fine. You will need some assistance though when reinstalling the lower control arm.

by assistance you mean, using a floorjack to push up the balljoint end of the new control arm? I know there's a second jack used in this somewhere....
    1992 Eclipse GST - GONE
    1991 Galant GSX - SOLD
    1994 5spd Galant - RIP

Yes...either a extra floor jack or another person to push up when you installing the new lower arm.

k thanks
    1992 Eclipse GST - GONE
    1991 Galant GSX - SOLD
    1994 5spd Galant - RIP

1gdsm

re

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    the picture in your first post looks to me like your spark plug wire boot has seperated into two pieces.

compare the plugwire boot you pulled out from that cylinder to the other cylinders,

and you will notice that it is missing a little rubber donut(looking) thing.

this happens a lot unfortunatly, but its not difficult to get it out.

you can try a grabber if you'd like.

or you can simply put your entire body weight onto your ratchet as you try to turn. this should get the plug loose to where you can completely remove the plug. once its freed from the threads, you can pull it out with a telescoping magnet.

in closing. your engine is fine.
    buy new plugwires,
    and if the reason the boot seperated, was that there was oil in the spark plug tube.....
    then you need to install a new valve cover gasket set. :D
    + 1 seen that happen alot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12