The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Megan Springs in the front, stock in the rear?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 66

Megan Springs in the front, stock in the rear?

I have a 2000 Galant 2.4L, I recently put some KYB GR-2 Struts and 18"(225/40r18) rims on and I started to really get annoyed that the front wheel has exactly 4 inches from the tip of the tire to the tip of the fender. And the rear wheel only has 1 inch from the tire and the tip of the fender(All i have is a Amp and a 12 inch kicker in my trunk). I noticed that all galants have that problem! I ordered Megan Racing Springs with a 2 inch drop. I figured i'd only put the front springs on since the rear looks good.

What do you guys think about that?

I just hope it looks good!
    I'm putting them on tomorrow!

no. put them all on you dummy.

edit: btw i was just kidding about the dummy part. lol
    but really it will be unbalanced or somthing if you only but on the front ones.
    welcome to the forums.

don't do it
    When I installed my Teins, I only had time to do the fronts first so the rear was stock. The ride was bumpy as hell! Plus it just doesn't look right (too high on the back).

I don't see why not? If you're already have 1 inch clearance in the rear why drop it even lower? All you have to worry is to get better struts to hold the weight (which you probably have). But all you're wasting is a set of rear spring...

GLADIATOR, do you have a 4 or 6 cylinder? Because i know the 6 is a little lower because of the wieght.

if your doing it for cosmetic reasons, which im sure you are. then go ahead you have nothing to worry about besides ride quality, which shouldnt be that bad if its soft in the rear.

in my opinion megan springs make the ass sag from what ive seen
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    GLADIATOR, do you have a 4 or 6 cylinder? Because i know the 6 is a little lower because of the wieght.
    V6
    I have no experience with Megans but I'm just speaking from my experience with Teins. It was really really bouncy with stock rear springs, and the handling was way off on highway speeds. Like if I switched lanes quickly, I would feel the rear sway a little bit and get that feeling of no control.

That's why I don't recommend it.

you should put all the springs on. your going to throw the whole balance of the car off, making it handle and take bumps weird. the only other thing that i can think of that you can do is if you dont want to put them in you could buy some spring stiffeners. i no that eibac makes them, they are neyopreme inserts that you put in the spring to make them stiffer you could look into doing that so that you dont have a crappy driving car.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

its funny because the rear actually has less gap then the front one, and you feel at some point that if you put lowering springs all the way around your rear is going to be to low! but i would put them all!
    Last edited by djflex167; 03-18-2008 at 01:30 AM

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    I say don't do it. I thought the same way when I was first dropping my G. The ride is just unbalanced, your car will be a lot stiffer in the front than the back and you will find you G bouncing from back to front a lot after bumps. Also if you have to make a quick change of direction, dodge something in the road, or take a curve a little too fast you have a higher chance of losing control.

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    you should put all the springs on. your going to throw the whole balance of the car off, making it handle and take bumps weird. the only other thing that i can think of that you can do is if you dont want to put them in you could buy some spring stiffeners. i no that eibac makes them, they are neyopreme inserts that you put in the spring to make them stiffer you could look into doing that so that you dont have a crappy driving car.
    Exactly. You alter the spring rate between the front and rear axles. You can seriously hinder handling of the vehicle to an unsafe point.

If you want to level the car out either lower it with all four springs or use GTZ springs.

dont try and beat around the bush. if your gonna lower your car then just do all 4 corners. cuz sooner or later you wil have to. i went with progress springs and it gave me a 2.2 inch drop in the front and a 1.8 drop in the back. worked out perfect.
    My car has mood swings..

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Exactly. You alter the spring rate between the front and rear axles. You can seriously hinder handling of the vehicle to an unsafe point.

If you want to level the car out either lower it with all four springs or use GTZ springs.
    exactly, why are you guys telling him its ok? it is absolutely not...the ride #1 will be uncoordinated, lowering springs are much stiffer then stocks and the rate is a lot different as well
    it will not be safe to simply just do the front, you have nothing to worry about installng the rear ones it wont be too low, unless of course your wheels are really wide... it may sound like a lot but when they are actually installed the rear really wont be that low

WarmAndSCSI
    Haha, change just the front springs to sporty lowering springs and the car is gonna understeer like a pig. It already understeers enough stock as it is.

I put only the front springs on and to me the car handles a lot better than before. It used to feel like a truck in the front. I didn't like that every "G" with megan springs sags in the back and has a lot of positive chamber. The car looks great!!!!!! looks completely even with the rear!!!!

thanx for the replys,

I put only the front springs on and to me the car handles a lot better than before. It used to feel like a truck in the front. I didn't like that every "G" with megan springs sags in the back and has a lot of positive chamber. The car looks great!!!!!! looks completely even with the rear!!!!

thanx for the replys,
    cool, let us know how it handles after some time

if you are only doing it for the looks.

then just cut your front springs and be done with it.

there is no reason for you to get higher spring rates if you aren't going to do it all around.
    your car will understeer like a bitch, and handle like total ass.

just cut them and be done.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I already put the front springs on!!!! The way my car looks is the same as the cars on TGC with V6's!!! It looks completely even!!! The car actually handles better, the car feels more predictable!!! Not to soft or to hard(I have brand new KYB GR-2's), Not bouncy at all!!!

WarmAndSCSI
    The car actually handles better, the car feels more predictable!!!
    Whatever you say... do you even know what understeer is? Do you do any racing except for in a straight line at stoplights? I'm serious. Take the car to a proper track or canyon/mountain pass and you'll find out how poorly it handles (how much it understeers) when you're stuck up against a rock wall or in the grass.

Seriously on MOST FWD cars, you want the rear more stiff in order to reverse the stock understeering characteristics (which are put into place for stupid soccer moms who don't know how to countersteer).

You are right about one thing: having more understeer does mean more predictability... not that that's an attribute of "good handling."
    Last edited by WarmAndSCSI; 02-27-2008 at 07:36 PM

and please dont get confused with a more stiff suspension/ride is a better handling ride. thats the whole reason for suspension geometry

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast