The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Auto Tranny Problems. hook up ?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    TGC Regular

Auto Tranny Problems. hook up ?

Well Great. Couldnt of came at a better time. I was takin a break at work today, and noticed a puddle outside under my car. I quickly went over to examine it. This is what i discovered.

The antifreeze is coming from my top radiator hose, it is on to tight, and the hose is leaking from the fitting onto the head. Im not worried about that.

But there is tranny fluid leaking .... now this has me botherd... Now i have been wanting to do a 5spd swap sense i have gotten this car ( 4 years now ) but i havent been able to find the 5spd tranny for a good price... Now the car runs perfect still. infact i just rebuilt the top end .( i did not touch the front or rear main seals or pull the block ) the tranny is not slipping or anything. But im loosing tranny fluid, and this just started.... I need to resolve it quickly... I belive it would be a rear main seal... But im not sure. i know i could jump in and tackle it, like i did tearin apart my motor the first time. But id like to approach it diffrently. But unfourtinatly im pressed for time :( and i no longer have a back up car available. This is my only source of transportation.

Any info would really help me right now. Expecially where i could get a 5spd tranny that wouldnt cost me a arm and a leg to buy + ship it here. i guess what i need is a TGC hookup. or a miricale is more like it. And i just spent all my money rebuilding my top end Arg. any sujestions on what i can do ?

Ill go throw it up on the lift. And take some more pictures. I do have all the trans jacks + hydraulic lifts and everything, and air tools, etc. Every tool i need to do anything. But i just never done it myself.

Anyone have a 4g64 auto trans PDF File ? ScSCI ?

TGC Regular
    Hrmmm. Well something is telling me, i need to check my lines and everything, because. thats bullshit, the tranny shouldnt leak like that, my shit is clean.

If someone could please help me out with a manual though, it would be greatly appreachiated. And if anyone knows where i could gpick up a 5spd for a good deal, please let me know.

I have the 4g64 motor. I need the Eclipse GS/RS tranny... Does anyone know if the Kia optima 4cyl LS 5spd will bolt on ? i have heard of a head swap bieng able to be done, and it is a 2.4 l 4cly .

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    well outa the pics i thinks is ur 3 bolts that u take of to drain te fluid check the those washers first
    03 I4

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_o2 View Post
    well outa the pics i thinks is ur 3 bolts that u take of to drain te fluid check the those washers first
    Those 3 bolts hold the bellhousing onto the transmission body... It's sealed by RTV, not the bolts. They don't even have washers on them

You drain the fluid from the DRAIN PLUG on the other side of the transmission. It's a 24mm plug IIRC.

Seriously, don't listen to him.

If it's leaking right there, you might have to pull the trans and rebead some RTV on the bellhousing.

edit: okay, I thought I might have been wrong. I'm not at all familiar with the belly of a 4G64... can somebody tell me if what I'm thinking is completely wrong?
    Last edited by WarmAndSCSI; 02-27-2008 at 01:33 PM

Have you checked to see if the seal near the drive shaft is leaking?

You could also try those UV dye kits - can really help in spotting the source of an oil/fuel leak

Also, the service manuals can be downloaded from http://www.galantforums.com/modules....download&cid=2
    Last edited by DryBear; 02-27-2008 at 02:35 PM

your right TJ in order to fix that leak if it is coming from that bead you have to separate the transmission from the bell housing its about 18+/- 14mm bolts to separate the 2. or you could try cleaning it REALLY well and then smear some rtv grey over the seam and see if it stops leaking. that is probably going to be a temp fix until you swap to 5 speed... if you have all the tools drop the tranny and fix it the right way its not really hard

i need some clearer pictures to see what the exact problem is.
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports