The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Brake tail lights stay lit...

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Brake tail lights stay lit...

I have a 2000 Galant and it seems that whenever I drive at night, my brake lights stay lit as if I were braking. When I accelerate from a stop, the lights don't dim like they're suppose to and just stay bright along with the third brake light in the rear window. This only happens when I have the light switch on for night driving, but during the day the brake taillights work fine and light up when braking and off when accelerating (With the light switch off of course).

I'm a lil scared to drive in the highway at night because the car behind me might not know if I'm stopping or not. Is this the switch or a ground somewhere maybe?

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    IMO, sounds like a bad switch/relay. if it's a switch, what could be happening is that it's not opening enough or at all and the voltage is still jumping the gap. if it's a relay, then either the coil in the relay went out or it's staying fully energized. my guess is it is a bad switch.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Sounds like a ground

but if it was a bad ground, wouldn't they never come on or flicker? just asking

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    but if it was a bad ground, wouldn't they never come on or flicker? just asking
    Yeah, a bad ground makes no sense to me either. The circuit is closed on the positive side, the ground always has continuity.

*cheers he got something right* lol:smt109:D:smt109

hmm i got the same thing but only on my right taillight
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

Single filament bulbs instead of dual? Then your riding lights would be lit like brake lights all the time.