The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1999 to 2001-03 ECU Swap questions?

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    TGC Regular

1999 to 2001-03 ECU Swap questions?

I've been looking into this ECU swap, because I want to use ECU Flash and have to some questions. I know that I will need one that the same spec as my car, thats not a problem. Will my 99' gauges work properly with a 2002-2003 ECU? and what about the immobilizer?

if your going to use ecu flash use it to read your current ecu and get the immobilizer code... then use it to flash the old code into your new ecu... or you could delete it all together but i wouldn't

you will need the ecu and the camshaft reluctor from the 01+ car
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

TGC Regular
    Thanks, so I can use ECU flash to read my current ECU but I cant make any changes to it? What is a camshaft reluctor? and where is it located?

yah you can read the 99-00 ecu you just cant make any changes

to get to the reluctor you have to take off the camshaft position sensor housing and its held on by 1 12mm bolt

your current reluctor looks like the one on the left you want the one thats on the right
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

WarmAndSCSI
    I wasn't even able to read the ROM off boostzealot's 2000 6G72 ECU.

really i've read a few on some local cars

with version 1.31+ you can read ecu's using the H8 processor but you cant flash them because of the lockout problem

If you have a '99, you don't have an immobilizer or a chip in your key. So when you get the new ECU, just have the immobilzer in it turned off.

TGC Regular
    So, any info on the gauges? I'm replacing them anyway because I messed them up while installing S7 gauges, just need to now if they will work.

i would say yes the gauges should work and if u change the gauges u r gonna have one problem and that is ur milage is saved in the gauges so whatever gauges u install will show the milage that was on the car it came from

someone correct me if im wrong
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

TGC Regular
    You can change out the mileage display box, that what I did.

TGC Regular
    I'm having trouble finding the reluctor, if I buy a 2001-03 camshaft position sensor the reluctor should be included? Just checking before I order it. Thanks

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by underated View Post
    really i've read a few on some local cars

with version 1.31+ you can read ecu's using the H8 processor but you cant flash them because of the lockout problem
    Thanks for the tip, it was way before 1.31 when I tried this.

Do you have an I4 or V6?

I'm pretty sure that if you go with an '03+ ECU, that some of the pin outs are different... one of them being the speedometer. Atleast that's the way it is for the I4. I'm sure the V6 too.

If you have an I4, you only need to buy the reluctor by itself. The one you want is part# MD374910.

If you have a V6, then you won't need that reluctor pictured a few posts up. The V6 has a distributor with a reluctor blade. I believe the reluctor blade was changed in the 2002 models, so if you have a V6, try and get an ECU from a 2001. If you get an ECU from a 2002+, you need to change the reluctor blade.

TGC Regular
    Thanks, I have a I4. I didnt know what section to look in when I was looking for it.

TGC Regular
    A little update, I got a 01 ECU and I'm still waiting on the reluctor. How do I go about disabling the immbolizer?

8g ecu swap question

if i have a 2002 and i get a 1999 ECU will that get rid of the CELs without having to program it for an immobilizer and will my key work? in other words im trying to be quick and cheap because programming is expensive for me and im a daiy driver, i need my car back cant pass inspection
    2002 Galant LS 3.0L V6 5spd, CAI

I know I'm reviving an old post. I have a 99 galant with a 02 engine and trans. I'm being told ecu/pm/tcu isn't responding properly so my car is stuck on limp mode. Tested solenoids and they all work and the input output speed sensors work. My car is 4 cyl. By me replacing to a 02-03 ecu it is simple as swap and reprogram? And also get the reluctor MD374910..
    Diego