The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Royal Purple

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 50

Royal Purple

Is royal purple the best oil to run a turbo setup on??
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

WarmAndSCSI
    No, it's purely a race oil that's meant to be changed after every race. I don't care if they say it's for street cars, it doesn't have the same additive package, that say, Mobil 1 or AMSOIL does for street usage.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    No, it's purely a race oil that's meant to be changed after every race. I don't care if they say it's for street cars, it doesn't have the same additive package, that say, Mobil 1 or AMSOIL does for street usage.
    This is correct. I had used Royal Purple when I started my car thinking it was the best, but Mobil 1 Synthetic is actually better and has cleaned up my engine a lot. I had lifter tap for God knows how long and even tried valve medic but Mobil 1 actually did something to the car and made it perform better aswell. Go for Mobil 1 dude

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

You guys do know that RP has a street oil out right.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead View Post
    You guys do know that RP has a street oil out right.
    Read my post. It's the opinion of many oil experts that their regular old street oil sold in parts stores still isn't sufficient for street usage. I was never impressed with it as well.

so mobil 1 synthetic?
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

WarmAndSCSI
    No, it's actually not a real synthetic but it's good enough for you. The only real Mobil 1 synthetic in the US is 0W-40 cause it's BMW LL certified among other things that require it to be composed of at least Group IV base oils

AMSoil synthetic FTW!!

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    Read my post. It's the opinion of many oil experts that their regular old street oil sold in parts stores still isn't sufficient for street usage. I was never impressed with it as well.
    Meh, they have API certification which doesnt mean much, I mean penzoil got it. The initial film strenght is awesome but it gets dirty fast, thier additives also go away with few heat cycles.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    I've heard mixed reactions to Royal Purple. Some say it's good some say it's not that good. I just stick to Quaker State Synthetic.

I'm still running regular mobile oil, maybe i should switch to Mobil 1 synthetic, do i just switch over completely? or is their a process
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

if you really care enough, do the research... you will find that hands down, the best oil on the market is AMSOIL...
    Diamond Star Motors - Turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1989.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by IceDouTGaLanT View Post
    I'm still running regular mobile oil, maybe i should switch to Mobil 1 synthetic, do i just switch over completely? or is their a process
    No, just switch. Most "switching to synthetic" horror stories are just isolated cases.

Quote Originally Posted by silver_beast98 View Post
    if you really care enough, do the research... you will find that hands down, the best oil on the market is AMSOIL...
    According to AMSOIL It's good stuff, but it's far from a godsend. Mobil 1 0W-40 is just as good.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    For street usage Mobile 1 is probably the best oil you can use or Castrol GTX which had a little better results compared to Mobil 1 in a synthetic oil comparison I read last year.

No need to put any "hardcore race oil" if your car is 99% a street daily driver vehicle. With the money you save, buy a good oil filter like OEM or Puralator Pure One.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

WarmAndSCSI
    Castrol GTX is conventional oil... Syntec is their synthetic oil. They may have been reviewing German Castrol Syntec (0W-30) which is a very good real synthetic oil. Other Syntec is just like Mobil 1, it's not actually synthetic. They're allowed to call Group III-based motor oils "synthetic" in the United States. It does not matter any way unless you really run your engine hard.

i've used Mobil 1 synthetic for about a year; never had a problem using it

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    I switched over to Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil about a year ago, and have been running it ever since. As of my last oil change I just started using the K&N Oil Filter also. I've had no complaints thus far. I've been running the 5W-30, but now I'm at about 75,000 miles, so I was gonna switch to 10W-40. Anybody think thats a bad idea?
    I live in So Cali and drive about 275 miles a week. [City driving mind you, wish there was more wide open space out here.]
    This AMSOIL, Ive never heard or seen it before, how much price difference is there b/w it and Mobil 1?
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

WarmAndSCSI
    75,000 miles isn't nearly enough to start running a thicker oil. If anything, I'd use 0W-40 Mobil 1 just like I keep telling everybody.

AMSOIL is a ripoff for people who don't really race their cars, don't worry about it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Whats your reason for saying that 0W-40 is better? My mechanic is the one who suggested running thicker oil on my next change...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

WarmAndSCSI
    I really wish people just just start READING THE THREAD. 0W-40, like I said before, is better because it's an actual synthetic oil. It costs the same as other Mobil 1's and is a good viscosity choice in general. The 40 shears down to about a 30 and the 0W allows for better cold starts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast