The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Royal Purple

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 50
    You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Its funny you say that bcz I actually did read the thread. From what I understand the 0W-40 is unecessary for the warm climate that I live in. If I lived somewhere with below freezing temps than maybe it would be a benefit, but I live where it barely gets below 50 degrees.
    As you know the manufacturer recommends 5W-30, I was content with sticking with that until my mechanic told me otherwise. So besides it being an ACTUAL Synthetic, what advantage would I see from running 0W-40 in my non-peformance, daily driven, warm climate residing car?
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

WarmAndSCSI
    Obviously you didn't read what I said:

The 40 shears down to about a 30 and the 0W allows for better cold starts.
    Even a start at 80 degrees is a COLD START relative to operational temperature. 5W-30, 0W-40, use whatever you want. 10W-40 isn't a good choice, however. You're not going to see any benefit, it's just my PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    Obviously you didn't read what I said:

Even a start at 80 degrees is a COLD START relative to operational temperature. 5W-30, 0W-40, use whatever you want. 10W-40 isn't a good choice, however. You're not going to see any benefit, it's just my PERSONAL PREFERENCE.
    I find it funny that you keep assuming that Im not reading what your posting, on the contrary I AM.

Your right relative to operating temperature, 80 degrees is a cold start. But there is a marginal difference in starting your car in 80 degree weather and starting your car in 5 degree weather. The hotter it is the easier your car will start, we all know that.
    From reading the "Cracking the oil change Myth" thread it says:
    "Older cars may specify 10W30 only. This is because they need a little more viscosity when cold to keep a protective film on the cylinder walls. There have been instances where the larger amount of viscosity modifiers that are present in 5W30 have broken down due to excessive heat and have left carbon deposits on the valves..."

So why would 10W-40 be a bad choice? And I figured the 0W-40 was your PERSONAL PREFERENCE, probably because you have a high performance built engine. As opposed to my fuel economic 4 BANGER, which as you stated: "You're not going to see any benefit". So why recommend it to me then?
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

WarmAndSCSI
    Use whatever you want, but you'll find 0W-40 is a favorite among ALL German car enthusiasts (not to mention it's OEM-specified almost universally). Their cylinder walls and bearing surfaces are no different from your own. I could go into the technical details, but it'll just go way beyond the audience of this thread. If you don't want to try it out, then DON'T.

Use whatever you want, but you'll find 0W-40 is a favorite among ALL German car enthusiasts (not to mention it's OEM-specified almost universally). Their cylinder walls and bearing surfaces are no different from your own. I could go into the technical details, but it'll just go way beyond the audience of this thread. If you don't want to try it out, then DON'T.
    There's no reason to be fiesty about it, its that just inquiring minds want to know. And I am familiar with the search button thank you. Appreciate your knowledge, O Great Guru of the Galants! :D I'll be sure to "READ" some more on the topic.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

WarmAndSCSI
    Not being feisty, again I really don't think you're actually reading what I'm telling you. Just try it out and see if you see any benefits. Why not?

75,000 miles isn't nearly enough to start running a thicker oil. If anything, I'd use 0W-40 Mobil 1 just like I keep telling everybody.

AMSOIL is a ripoff for people who don't really race their cars, don't worry about it.
    if all the claims by these independent reviewers are really true, AMSOIL is far from a ripoff even and almost especially if it's a daily driven vehicle... of course, no matter what it's all personal preference anyhow since any decent synthetic should do just fine if not used to the point of breaking down before changing, but on all the tests AMSOIL lasted the longest...

use what you want. for now i won't pay the price for the stuff since i have oil leakage and bad valve stem seals, so no oil would really last long for me. But personally, once i build my motor that's all i intend to run...

just my .02 cents. if you can find proof that it's truly a ripoff i would love to see it. not tryin to cause shit, just don't want to waste my money if you are in fact correct...
    Diamond Star Motors - Turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1989.

WarmAndSCSI
    It's a complete ripoff because there is an equivalent oil available right at your local parts store. I have used COUNTLESS kinds of synthetic oil in my engine and I tear these things down CONSTANTLY. Mobil 1 has never brought disappointment, there is no reason to use anything else.

Any way, nothing is an ultimate solution for your engine. Run an oil you like, send a sample to Blackstone Labs and draw your own conclusions. Who cares about "independent" oil analysis?

Any way, nothing is an ultimate solution for your engine. Run an oil you like, send a sample to Blackstone Labs and draw your own conclusions. Who cares about "independent" oil analysis?
    Honestly, i do... i just don't see how info can be any more factual about oil than that. I know you do tear down engines all the time and i do believe you about never having problems with your oil, but if those are true facts, than facts are facts. According to the results that i have seen, other oils aren't equivelent. Personally, if i am going to spend an arm and a leg to build a high performance motor, it would just give me a little more piece of mind to run the stuff that comes out the BEST rather than good or ok. Yet again, to each his own tho... when someone starts filling up his motor with sand he should be slapped, but other than that, if you are satisfied with what you run, than by all means run it. Personally, i dont care... but i just have no prob shelling out the dough for the best stuff, if i have it to spent that is...

WarmAndSCSI
    Except there is no functional difference between Mobil 1 0W-40 and AMSOIL's equivalent for German/European cars. Same grade base stocks, very similar additive packages. Except the Mobil 1 is stocked at my local auto parts store and costs a fuckton less.

Your little notion is fine and dandy, except you need to realize that a TON of race teams out there have their own little preference for oil. Not ALL high performance engines should run on AMSOIL. It is NOT the defacto standard. Show me some of these independent reviews that compare old Mobil 1 (which was synthetic) or current Mobil 1 0W-40 to AMSOIL's equivalent. I simply cannot find any (minus the handy little graphs from "independent" reviews that all of AMSOIL's dealers use).
    Last edited by WarmAndSCSI; 03-04-2008 at 07:17 PM

WarmAndSCSI
    This includes German Castrol 0W-30, if you're able to find it. All in all, these are equivalent oils to what AMSOIL sells. I just love seeing these mobs of people touting AMSOIL, AMSOIL! when they really have no knowledge of engine building or the organic chemistry behind oils. How many people yelling AMSOIL! can even tell you what a PAO is?

well i am by no means an expert. i will not try to say i am... just want to be sure about every thing, which i am starting to truly believe what you say, since tho i've never thought about it before, i really havent seen any other oil analysis that the ones amsoil claims are independent studies. Just wondering if you are SURE they are equivalent? And i intend to run a
    0w-30 oil, so what do you mean by "German Castrol 0w-30"? Does that just mean that their 0w-30 oil is usually intended for German cars, or is it a different oil???

WarmAndSCSI
    The oils are pretty damn similar. Trust me on that.

By German Castrol, I mean the Castrol Syntec that is made in Germany for European automobiles. It's hard to find, you just have to know what to look for.

Cool... im really gonna be lookin into that. no offense on giving a hard time. just wanted to get some at least semi-factual information rather than just an oppinion even tho i do know you of all people should know your stuff. i hope you see where im coming from. Upon your insight i believe im just going to run good ol Castrol Syntec 0w-30. From checking it out on the sight, it seems that all their 0w-30 is built to meet the German standards you were talking about. Thanks for the educating...

WarmAndSCSI
    The standard I'm familiar with is BMW LL (Long Life). It requires the oil be at least a Group IV-based oil. AKA real synthetic, not just synthetically refined. Look for that and you'll get yourself a good oil.

Awesome. Ill remember to look for that from now on... thanks a lot for sharing this info...

No, just switch. Most "switching to synthetic" horror stories are just isolated cases.

According to AMSOIL It's good stuff, but it's far from a godsend. Mobil 1 0W-40 is just as good.
    Having used both in Galants I can tell you that the AMSoil is FAR better than the Mobil One.

75,000 miles isn't nearly enough to start running a thicker oil. If anything, I'd use 0W-40 Mobil 1 just like I keep telling everybody.

AMSOIL is a ripoff for people who don't really race their cars, don't worry about it.
    The noticeable lifter tick with Mobil 1 and the lack thereof with AMSOil would disagree with you.

Also no one has any reason to run anything but 5w30.
    Last edited by RedGalant2k1; 03-05-2008 at 05:33 PM

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Having used both in Galants I can tell you that the AMSoil is FAR better than the Mobil One.
    You're comparing apples to oranges. I've used both RACING and I'll tell you they're the same. I'm talking proper Mobil 1, not the stuff they're trying to market as "synthetic" now.

You're comparing apples to oranges. I've used both RACING and I'll tell you they're the same. I'm talking proper Mobil 1, not the stuff they're trying to market as "synthetic" now.
    Why should racing oils be compared to street oils?

Weight for weight AMSoil far outperforms Mobil 1.

And in point I'm not comparing apples to oranges, I'm comparing my old Galant to my new Galant.

What better comparison do you want me to give?

If Mobil 1 didn't "water down" their publically availible synthetic oil maybe my entire company wouldn't be using AMSoil. Maybe our local Police and Taxi fleets wouldn't be using AMSoil either.

WarmAndSCSI
    I don't use "racing" oils because I also street my car. I never said I used a racing oil. You're comparing a synthetic oil to a non-synthetic oil, hence my apples to oranges comment. "Far outperforms"? Where do you get this shit?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast