The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Royal Purple

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 50 of 50
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    I don't use "racing" oils because I also street my car. I never said I used a racing oil. You're comparing a synthetic oil to a non-synthetic oil, hence my apples to oranges comment. "Far outperforms"? Where do you get this shit?
    This is my last comment to you on this thread.

I've used both commercially availible oils in both my Galants. In my personal experience AMSoil far outperforms Mobil One both in filter performance and oil performance.

I'm not basing my statements in direct opposition to you.

Its not my fault Mobil downgraded their regularly availible oil. At present I won't use anything else but AMSoil. Just remember that comes from using both in two Galants for a combined mileage exceeding 150,000 miles.

I don't give lip service to something I can't honestly support. Just get over the fact that I dislike the performance of Mobil in my cars.

I am Team Amsoil on my new motor since I put it in last month. No issues. Before that even when I had the SDS I was running Mobile 1 with a good filter.
    Love,
    Matt

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    Original poster, use Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec, don't go thru the hassle of locating Amsoil, I had regular GTX in my engine and when the mechs took it out after 3k miles they said "you sure you want this oil change? This oil is PERFECT."

Granted, I'm not turbo'd

WarmAndSCSI
    0W-40 is regularly available and it's not downgraded in any way. Some other weights of Mobil 1 are also still very high in percent of Group IV PAOs. I believe the very popular 5W-30 was one of those that now receives a large proportion of Group III hydrocracked oil. Nobody actually knows.

I'm not saying you're wrong by liking AMSOIL - it's really good stuff. I'm just citing your lack of any support as to WHY it's better. You say "performance" yet you give no evidence, even subjective.

I think on my next oil change I may use what Warm suggested.

I use Amsoil because its cheaper at Autobacs when I pickup a case during each yearly MOD visit. :)
    Love,
    Matt

WarmAndSCSI
    Here's a perfect example of AMSOIL's marketing finesse: http://www.technilube.com/faqs_info/synth_diff.php

You see these nice tables of data. They use nice cryptic terms such as "Four Ball Wear" and TBN... Problem is they don't even explain the conditions under which these tests are performed. Four Ball Wear... para. whatever. What is a para? It's clear that they chose outliers to compare their own best result to. For the TBN, it's not even specified after how many miles. My last point of criticism is the comparison of cost per mile. Complete garbage. Nobody is going to actually leave AMSOIL in their engine for 25,000 miles. That's just ignorant unless you ramp up your drain intervals while getting an oil analysis every time you increase the interval. It's called really good marketing and that's the only reason people are convinced AMSOIL is better.

thAnks for the responses everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

Mobil 1 also makes a 0w-30 that is very similar to the 0w-40 synthetic. It isn't BMW LL certified but it's a much higher quality than the typical 5w-30 mobil 1. Also in my research(at least in my area), to get a synthetic that is blended from group IV base oils, the Mobil 1 is significantly cheaper than AMSOIL or Royal Purple.

Semi off-topic: http://www.eneos.us/index.php

Has anyone seen or used this brand at all? I have yet to see any research comparing this to any of the other brands discussed.

222whp/250wtq

WarmAndSCSI
    The 0W-30 is good too. GM factory fills the LS7 in the Corvette with it. It's probably also a Group IV based oil. Too thin for most force-fed engines, though.

I wonder if GReddy sells that ENEOS oil under their brand. I've never looked into it before.

edit: well I thought they filled the Corvette LS7 with that... I can't find any information to back that up, though.
    Last edited by WarmAndSCSI; 03-05-2008 at 07:55 PM

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Hondas F1 car is filled with 0w-50 Eneos oil, btw.

I've been looking into it, and I think the 0w-30 is a group IV oil, I havent found it directly, and it looks as if its just too thin for use by Porche and BMW, so maybe thats why it hasnt recieved certification.

I've been looking for an excuse to switch to a 0W-XX oil for awhile now, I may just start doing this. Especially with racing season starting, I get to bleed the brakes and do an oil change regardless of interval for the start of the season. I dunno if I will hit the gearbox or not though. Everything else will be greased or flushed.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123