The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Where are Rear Sway Bar Link Pins???????

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Where are Rear Sway Bar Link Pins???????

I just got a Diagnostic on the G and found that the Cluncking Sound from the back of the car is because my Rear Sway Bar Link Pins are faulty. The Dealership said they would charge me $239 for parts and labor. but instead i figured i will do it my self but i dont know where these pins go. can anyone help me out??!! also they said i need Power Steering Rack and Pinion fixed. my power steering fulid is leaking from them. they said it was from being old and wear and tear. to have this repaired. $1,100 parts and labor. has anyone had this done? where can i have this done for cheaper and done right?

where do these go??

Always looking to make my life better, and then my car!

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    That is the link that connects your sway bar to the Lower arm. Look at the one thats on there now...

Last edited by RAZ_76; 03-04-2008 at 01:22 PM

WarmAndSCSI
    They go between the rear lower control arm and the sway bar... they're usually called swaybar end links. Just look under the car and you'll see them at the ends of the sway bar. You're going to need a set of metric allen keys (forget which size it is) and some penetrating lube to get them off. Let them soak the night before so you don't have to break them off.

The steering rack is a pain to replace, I highly suggest you letting a shop do it. $1,100 actually sounds reasonable.

ok so where under the car should i look? how can i get to them? am i gonna have to left the car up or take off the tires?

WarmAndSCSI
    Yes, you'll need to lift up the rear and RAZ just posted a picture of the rear suspension for you. Are you SURE you're equipped to do this? Doesn't sound like you even know where to begin.

well it sounds like a eazy bolt on job. im just woudering where its at. i mean if i can get got of paying $240 for the Dealership to do it then i'll try it myself. but what about the power steering rack and pinion? i know im gonna have to get that done. how much do they usaly charge for that else where?

Dude! No disrespect but you don't sound capable of doing this. Things can go wrong like a nut that's rusted an doesn't want to come off and then what, do you know what to do from there?? I just don't want you with one link off and the other half way off or some scenario like that.

WarmAndSCSI
    RAZ POSTED A PICTURE OF WHERE THE LINKS ARE! Just LOOK UNDER THE CAR. And I've got a revolutionary idea for you. Why don't you call up your local shops and ask how much it will cost for the rack? I already told you I thought $1,100 is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by toeknee02 View Post
    well it sounds like a eazy bolt on job. im just woudering where its at. i mean if i can get got of paying $240 for the Dealership to do it then i'll try it myself. but what about the power steering rack and pinion? i know im gonna have to get that done. how much do they usaly charge for that else where?
    The link are in the back, look under the rear and by the wheel, or behind the wheel. Heres awider view dude.

okay i found them. now do these look bad? its looks pretty easy. just need some of that spray you get at auto zone to loosen up the rust.
    [IMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc66/toeknee_gtz/p_01080.jpg[/IMG]

WarmAndSCSI
    I only see the one photo... are either of them separated at the boots? They're caked in grime, I really can't tell.. If they're BROKEN, replace them. That's all I have to say.

Good god!!!! Where do you live dude... The steering rack is the one you should be more concerned with, those links are not an emergency! Yeah you can see that the rubber is cracked. If you really want, replace them but they will be a pain from the looks of them, your problem working against you here is going to be Rust!.
    Last edited by RAZ_76; 03-04-2008 at 01:32 PM

i live in milwaukee. theres alot of garages around town. i just figured that the Dealership allways cost more to repair stuff. but ima call around here and get some quotes. but man this sucks cause i was just about to get somes rims too. THANKS alot for the help though. ima try and do it tomarrow. after i let this spray sit for a while.

here's a tutorial to change the rear sway bar click click it shows the various tools and has a bunch of picture. but yea, it shows how to remove the links also.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

I don't know how bad yours are, but be ready to cut those suckers in case they rusted to hell. It happened to a few of us.

I've had to cut both my links but the front ones, not rear. If you lived close, I d do that steering rack for half that.

i got some qoutes for the steering rack earlier. the cheapest was at mineken for $830. ima have to use my credit card for it. i just paid it off too. but at least i'm hoping i'll have enough for the rims and head lights that i wanted to get. hopefully nothing else will happen to my car once i spend all my money on it.

Good luck dude! Let us know what happens.