The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rubbing Compound

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Rubbing Compound

hey ppl, I bought a can of rubbing compound (turtle wax) to try to remove some scratches...idk why I didn't take the time to browse fiirst if the rubbing compound will be good :P.. after I read that is only supposed to be used to very bad paint i was kinda skeptical in use it or not..but i went for it...i got a pretty big scratch in my front bumper so i used it, and it didn't completely remove the scratch...idk if im doing it wrong, or prolly i should get the polish compound first..any advices?...nothing happened to the paint thank God, and I waxed it after too..

WarmAndSCSI
    Most rubbing compounds are worthless when used by hand. It's going to take some serious elbow grease to get that scratch out (if it's indeed not through the clearcoat). How abrasive is the rubbing compound? Is it a heavy duty one? A polish is always less abrasive (if abrasive at ALL) than a rubbing compoound. It'll get nothing done.

yeah, it's the turtle wax heavy duty one...

WarmAndSCSI
    OK, I wouldn't try it again. You're going to end up rubbing straight through your clear coat if the scratch isn't coming out. If you can catch your nail in the scratch, there's no fixing it without repainting or a very meticulous touch-up job.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Get some 3M stuff.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

ok..thanks for your advices!

TGC Regular
    like warm said above, its nearly impossible to rub a scratch out by hand, unless its a very very light scratch. You'll need to get it buffed out. If its just one scratch thats bothering you, take it to a detail shop or a body shop and have em buff it out real quick, i wouldnt imagine they would charge too much.

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

if u gonna take it to a shop to get buffed, might as well do the entire car...avg costs in ny is $75-$100

stkiflngaz
    turtle wax and a buffer]