The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Questions about galants since u guy are pros

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 48
    findingyoshie

Questions about galants since u guy are pros

so yeah i got a 02 galant ES and a lot of my friends bash on me bout it being wack and all and i would like to know you thought like the maintence etc? well i like how the car looks and especially how u guys made and but was there major probs to the car before u guys fixed it up?

thanks

do you have a 4cyl or a v6?

the only real problem on the 4cyl's is people have problems with the intake manifold cracking near the throttle body flange

i can speak on the 6cyl version cuz i dont have one
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

rotors warp easily, leading to vibration at high speeds. change those out asap and you should be fine with regular maintainence.
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    When we owned our 99 Galant 4cyl we didn't have any problems with it at all. There have been known issues with the intake manifold breaking. The front rotors do tend the warp easy..but can be resolved with a nice brand of front brake rotors.

If by any chance your Galant is a dark color especially black...expect the paint to oxidize and slowly peel off which is a common problem with Mitsu dark color codes during the mid 90's to early 2000 USDM production mitsu vehicles.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Just common things, radiator hoses tend to leak after a while, also check your oil cap. I'm almost at 100K so small things like these start to come up, but the brakes were the only "major" one so far. V6ers also tend to develop lifter tick.

Oh, and don't worry, it ain't no more "wack" than any other cars on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    V6ers also tend to develop lifter tick.
    So do the I4's

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    I have 2 Galants a 1999 ES with 158,000 miles. Only issues I've had with it was warping rotors and I don't slam on my brakes like some assume and the Intake manifold cracked but that was at 155,000 miles. Still have the stock radiator hoses, same oil cap and same radiator cap. I guess it all depends on how well you maintain your car. My paint never peeled, flaked or anything like that. I just never used a brush, sponge on it, just water pressure from car wash and waxed it twice a year. If you are past 60,000, make sure the timing belt, water pump have been replaced, if not have them checked and possibly replaced. 300 to 700 dollar cost for that. The water pump is not a must at that time but it's a good idea since it cost about 120 bucks and you have everything apart there anyway, it will save you time and money if you do it when you do the timing belt. If you don't , you run the chance of it busting on you and then have to repeat timing on it.
    No issues with my 2002 ES but it's not a daily driver either. I will maintain it the same way I did my 99 so I don't expect major issues with it. You treat it like shit and it will do the same in return.
    Last edited by RAZ_76; 03-06-2008 at 09:09 AM

WarmAndSCSI
    Don't see why everybody always says the rotors "warp." The only way that's gonna happen on the streets is if you are braking extremely hard (red hot rotors) and hit a puddle. It's just the way the pads bed into the stock rotors. Get the rotors properly resurfaced by a machine shop or somebody who has a FlexHone for rotors and accompany that with new pads and a proper bed-in procedure, and I bet the problem will go away.

I wouldn't recommend bothering with the water pump at 60,000 miles unless it's leaking. Just don't let the car get up to 200,000+ miles without changing it. Timing belt maintenance is of utmost important, however, because the 4G64 and 6G72 we have are both interference-type engines (you'll bend valves if the belt snaps). Water pumps are cheap, though, so you might as well replace it while you're in there.
    Last edited by WarmAndSCSI; 03-06-2008 at 09:00 AM

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    So are you telling m that I don't know how to maintain my vehicle now!! I dont brake extremel hard( red hot rotors )like you put it and hit a puddle after. I get my rotors properly resurfaced everytime I replace my pads, even if the rotor is smooth. SO now what mister expert?? He asked for issues that you have experienced not mumble and blare stuff out that you know as a general rule dude. I've had my 99 galant for 8 years and this is not my first car, I was doing brakes while you were still in diapers.
    Chill out, I'm just saying 90% of the time "warped rotors" is a misnomer. I'm confused as to how you took this personally. You're not the only person in this thread who said we have a problem with "warped rotors."

findingyoshie
    My car is a 4cyn thanks a lot for ur answers

so basically

im going to change
    intake manifold
    rotors
    water pump

am i right/

WarmAndSCSI
    No, not correct :?

Don't replace anything unless it's a regular maintenance item (when the time comes) or if it's broken. We don't even know how many miles are on your car.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Wow, I see this going places.

Warm is 100% correct, in that having the rotors proporly resurfaced and not buying the cheapest ones out there is a really good start in not having them warp.

However I have warped my powerslots and I really dont get how people can get off saying that its a problem with the car. Fuck I never ever had a problem with it until I started racing.

Coming off the track with the rotors glowing red is probably the best way to warp them, I have put my rotors which where designed for street use through eleventybillion percent more abuse then most of you put them through, I understand that they have the right to be warped.

On the good side I have yet to replace my alternator, starter, or much else that seems to go frequently on other models, I have only had it break a couple times that was not done by my own hand.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead View Post
    On the good side I have yet to replace my alternator, starter, or much else that seems to go frequently on other models, I have only had it break a couple times that was not done by my own hand.
    Never had any problems with my alternator, but I have fried several starters. Make sure you never lug on these starters when the engine won't crank over (a problem when you have aftermarket fuel and ignition management). They overheat quickly and burn through the wires. Battery health is of utmost importance. The lower the voltage, the more amperage the starter is going to draw. Caught one on fire once, actually. Glad I have a manual now for push-starting ;)

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by findingyoshie View Post
    My car is a 4cyn thanks a lot for ur answers

so basically

im going to change
    intake manifold
    rotors
    water pump

am i right/
    my car has 103k (V6) and the only prob i have is shitty gas miles. i need a full tune up. hopefully i can go from the 18mpg to the 28 that alot of other V6 G's get. and i DONT drive like i stole it. at first maybe but now no. gas is too high to waste it just hear the car go WOT

i love hearing my galant at WOT

I havent had any problems, the one time I had to put a battery in it it kinda drug on once then nothing, wouldnt start at all. Yeah 5spd's make the world a much simpler place.

I only get 20 mph in town. 18 isnt too far off.

kickstarts ftw

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted View Post
    i love hearing my galant at WOT
    It's even better when you've got something under the hood ;) (that doesn't sound like a Honda, either)

Any way, why is this in "Car Care Products"? lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast