The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Questions about galants since u guy are pros

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 48 of 48
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead View Post
    Why? Hell the motor will probably get totally rebuilt at 100k, and a leak in the waterpump is going to develope gradually and not explosivly, I will notice it when it starts leaking. If I havent totally rebuilt the motor I will do the timing belt at 120k or when the water pump starts leaking, its not a big deal. Right now its on to a head rebuild and a coolent flush.
    The water pump is as likely as anything else to fail all at once. My wife was driving to her parents house one day and her water pump impeller shredded itself. The car NEVER leaked coolant, not even from the weep hole in the water pump.

Vehicle manufacturers don't put maintenence schedules together for fun, they do it for proper maintenence of their vehicles. Risk what you want, but regardless my statement stands, why even risk a leaking water pump? Replace it at EVERY change of your timing belt.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    The water pump is as likely as anything else to fail all at once. My wife was driving to her parents house one day and her water pump impeller shredded itself. The car NEVER leaked coolant, not even from the weep hole in the water pump.

Vehicle manufacturers don't put maintenence schedules together for fun, they do it for proper maintenence of their vehicles. Risk what you want, but regardless my statement stands, why even risk a leaking water pump? Replace it at EVERY change of your timing belt.
    I agree to an extent, but the impeller on the water pumps we have should never shatter. Some cars have plastic impellers and I've heard about those failing quite often. What usually goes wrong on our water pumps is the pulley. You'll start to hear the bearings going out with plenty of time to replace the pump, so it's not a life-or-death scenario.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    You'll start to hear the bearings going out with plenty of time to replace the pump, so it's not a life-or-death scenario.

I agree but if you don't know crap about a car, a noise means nothing. Do you agree though that it is wise and good idea to replace it while doing the timing belt to save money since everything is apart anyway??
    Last edited by RAZ_76; 03-07-2008 at 11:25 AM

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    ive heard that before, whats the harm to change it early and save a few $

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    No harm, just some people speak from experience and some just read somewhere what could happen.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    I agree but if you don't know crap about a car, a noise means nothing. Do you agree though that it is wise and good idea to replace it while doing the timing belt to save money since everything is apart anyway??
    Yep, very wise.

Quote Originally Posted by spardavr4 View Post
    Balance your tires dude. If they aren't balanced you can get vibrations. I forgot what my dad told me but at high speeds it's usually your back tires that aren't balanced. Correct me if I'm wrong Mr. Smartpants-es.
    ok, i balance tires all day every day. and unless the customer pays for a 4 wheel balance, i only balance the front tires. im not saying its right, but tire techs are usually swamped with cars, so we get stuff done as fast as possible. plus if the rear tires are only lets say 1/2 oz. off, its not gonna be that noticeable.

but if all four wheels are balanced, then at high speeds the wheels are balanced. well unless the shop doesnt have a high speed balancer. most do tho. if it is computerised (most are) the wheels shouldnt have and vibration at any speed.

vibration at the steering wheel could be caused by one or more of the following: out of round wheels, bad alignment, bad suspension, worn control arm bushings, worn ball joints, worn tie rods, wheel balance, separated tire(s), im sure im missing something, but im on my pain meds right now and cant think straight...

findingyoshie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    ok, i balance tires all day every day. and unless the customer pays for a 4 wheel balance, i only balance the front tires. im not saying its right, but tire techs are usually swamped with cars, so we get stuff done as fast as possible. plus if the rear tires are only lets say 1/2 oz. off, its not gonna be that noticeable.

but if all four wheels are balanced, then at high speeds the wheels are balanced. well unless the shop doesnt have a high speed balancer. most do tho. if it is computerised (most are) the wheels shouldnt have and vibration at any speed.

vibration at the steering wheel could be caused by one or more of the following: out of round wheels, bad alignment, bad suspension, worn control arm bushings, worn ball joints, worn tie rods, wheel balance, separated tire(s), im sure im missing something, but im on my pain meds right now and cant think straight...
    i would say re surface rotors cause it happened to me and now it doesnt shake

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123